Will switching from Synthetic to Dyno oil harm my engine?

Old December 22nd 04, 07:06 AM
HachiRoku

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 05:34:33 +0000, Philip wrote:

> Huw wrote:
>>... but some
>> people will insist on treating their cars as if they were sentient
>> organic organisms which will somehow 'thank' them at some point for
>> unnecessary [and unasked for LOL] pampering at added expense. In
>> truth, it is the pamperer himself that derives pleasure from such
>> practice but he would do better and achieve more good if he spent his
>> time and money on doing good to his fellow man.
>> Huw

> Oh ... that is great psychoanalysis! ROFLOL

I'd rather swell my seals! ;>
Old December 22nd 04, 07:39 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Steve" > wrote in message
> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>
> Yeah, and I could just pee in the oil fill hole for free. Yer point?
>
> While I don't deny that relatively inexpensive conventional oils are
> adequate for most engines, I simply do not trust the $.49/quart
> ****water to have anything like a halfway decent additive package. When
> I use a conventional oil, I use one that has a good reputation (Castrol,
> Valvoline, etc.) and that I know will have the same additive package (or
> will improve over time) every time I buy it, rather than some different
> random lowest-bidder blend stuffed into the same generic bottle at each
> buying cycle.

Sorry but I've also bought Valvoline at the .49 cent price - with rebate of
course. Not recently, but at least once this year.

I see Castrol also discounted quite regularly.

My point is obvious to anyone - if you are a halfway smart shopper
you can buy oil at the buck a quart level. Sure, you have to buy it
when they sell it at that level, and you have to stockpile it as well,
but it can be bought.

What you CAN'T do is be a lazy-ass and just walk into whatever
retailer you want whenever you want and buy whatever brand of oil
you want at a buck a quart. You do have to actually pay attention
to these things called, you know, advertising circulars? They come
in the local newspaper? You know, the thing you line your birdcage
with since you can't read?

I would suggest that you ask your wife where she gets those little
things called grocery store coupons, she might teach you a thing or two.

Motor oil to auto parts stores is like milk is to grocery stores. There's
a huge market for it and it is very competitive. It is one of the few
things
that is guarenteed to get customers into the store. When an auto parts
chain drops $200K into an advertising campaign, they
use motor oil as a loss leader just like the grocery stores use milk as
a loss leader. And it works great for that.

Ted

Old December 22nd 04, 07:42 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Michael Pardee wrote:
>
> > > Don't know about the Chevron but the Havoline, yeesh, what tar! And
> > > when I say tar, I mean experience from being inside engines that has
> > > had it's oil changed religiously every 3K miles and the owners have
> > > used Havoline exclusively since the vehicle was new.

> > FWIW, that is the message I get from my gear-head younger brother. He
> > tells me it leaves crusty carbon that just won't dissolve with anything
> > throughout engines.

> Latest inductee into the "bad oil of the year" club, eh? We've heard the
> same ghost stories about Pennzoil, Quaker State, and probably every other
> major brand at one time or another...

Completely immaterial Dan since every major oil brand discounts from time
to time. The Valvoline bigots can buy their Valvoline at discount if they
bother to read the advertising circulars. It doesen't take a lot of effort
buy as much oil as you need when it goes on sale, you just need to have
the space to store it.

Claming as these morons seem to be doing that their 'spechul' oil is so
all-faluting better that it never goes on sale, is a bunch of bullcrap.

Ted

Old December 22nd 04, 01:18 PM
Rob Munach

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Rob Munach wrote:
>

>>AMSOIL

> Right on cue, here we go with Scamsoil again...

Sure Danny Boy. I ain't trying to sell it here, I was just making a
point that *some* synthetics do have significantly more detergency than
dino oils. Yes, I am a 20 year Amsoil dealer, but I don't push it on
anyone. I use it because it works and they have a much larger selection
of products than any competitor.

--
Rob Munach, PE
Excel Engineering
Old December 22nd 04, 02:21 PM
Huw

"Philip" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Randolph wrote:
>> Philip wrote:
>>>
>>> "Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
>>> n.umich.edu

>>> Have not.
>>>
>>> Rotella T, Delo-400, Mobil Delvac ... those are your MAINSTREAM
>>> diesel oils. Just visit any truck stop to see for yourself.
>>> Rotella Synthetic 5w-40 is very rare in truck stops as is Delvac
>>> 1300. --
>>>
>>> - Philip

>> It could probably be argued either way. VW may well be the volume
>> leader
>> in passenger diesels in the US (no, I don't have a single number to
>> back this up). They recommend synthetic oil for their TDI's. So, for
>> passenger car diesels, I would say synthetics have caught on.

> You draw a conclusion from an unrelated recommendation. What is on the
> shelves of your neighborhood auto store or truck stop IS of primary
> importance. That's what people are buying. Yes, I know VW suggests
> synthetic IF ... are you are going to perform oil services by the oil life
> monitoring system. So does BMW and Mercedes for that matter.

They INSIST on specific oil for both petrol and diesel engines. The same
oils are suitable for both.

But for
> all -practical- purposes, the only mainstream synthetic diesel oil around
> here (the western US) is Shell Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic.

That is only because you have virtually no modern diesel cars which call for
superior oil. No demand = no stocking. Having said that, you really should
be able to find these oils if you look hard. Surely you have plenty of both
Mercedes and BMW petrol vehicles which insist on Longlife 01 or mb229.1?

Huw

Old December 22nd 04, 02:29 PM
Huw

"Philip" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Huw wrote:
>> "Another Tom" > wrote in message
>>> Results of "practical" vs "potential"
>>>
>>> http://www.justracing.com/bmw/viewtopic.php?t=12

>> Let's call a spade a spade. ********. There are now hundreds of
>> thousands of cars that have run these intervals for many years with
>> no ill effect.

> But none of them are in the USA.

Of course they are. US BMW and Mercedes have the same service schedule as
European ones and have been since 1998 that I know of. Plenty of time for
one to run up to 15000 miles many times over.

>>The car in the link above is either fictional or
>> posted by a liar.

> snip
>>Huw

> You're in the first stage of denial, Huw. Now ask yourself WHY would
> anyone go to all the effort in PhotoShop to doctor up a couple of photos
> like these? Do I smell a conspiracy theory from you?

No, but a lack of imagination from you. Why do you say that I think the
pictures are doctored? I do not believe they are, any more than those
sludged Toyota's you have pictures of are doctored. Similarly I don't
believe that BMW had its services carried out to BMW recommendation using
the correct oil. No difference in principal between the idiots who miss
services with Toyota or with BMW. Or are you applying a double standard
here, that idiots only drive and lie about Toyota vehicles? LOL

Huw

Old December 22nd 04, 02:34 PM
Huw

"Philip" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Huw wrote:
>> "Philip" > wrote >
>>> Ever wonder why synthetics have not caught on in the diesel arena?
>>> Particularly in passenger car diesels which routinely foul their oil
>>> very quickly?

>> Oh but it has.

> snip
>>Huw

> Huw... our context is the AMERICAN market. Not the UK ... where you are.
> But go ahead and make your case for the benefit of others. But do review
> this thread retroactively before you do.

You can choose to use your own arbitrary context if you wish but on a global
scale synthetic high performance oil is now becoming standard for passenger
car diesel engines. I was not aware that this was more than a slightly
significant market sector in the US but if you say that of those, most use
1980's technology, then who am I to argue with you.

Huw

Old December 22nd 04, 02:37 PM
Huw

"HachiRoku" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 05:34:33 +0000, Philip wrote:
>
>> Huw wrote:
>>>... but some
>>> people will insist on treating their cars as if they were sentient
>>> organic organisms which will somehow 'thank' them at some point for
>>> unnecessary [and unasked for LOL] pampering at added expense. In
>>> truth, it is the pamperer himself that derives pleasure from such
>>> practice but he would do better and achieve more good if he spent his
>>> time and money on doing good to his fellow man.
>>> Huw

>> Oh ... that is great psychoanalysis! ROFLOL

> I'd rather swell my seals! ;>

Each to his own kink. Live and let live and all that.

May your seals swell alarmingly for Christmas :-)

Huw

Old December 22nd 04, 04:11 PM
Coyoteboy

> I use Castrol or Valvoline dino in my cars, change oil and filter (
> Motorcraft Fl400-S) every 90 days or 3,000 miles, and have never had
> an engine problem related to oil. n e v e r.
>
> Go figure. If you want to spend the extra $ on synthetic, it's your
> money, be my guest.

I only use fully synth oil and swap it every 2.5-3K miles. But thats the
manufacturers recommendation lol. Ouch. Bloody 3SGTE engine .

Old December 22nd 04, 05:26 PM
Rob Munach

Coyoteboy wrote:
>>I use Castrol or Valvoline dino in my cars, change oil and filter (
>>Motorcraft Fl400-S) every 90 days or 3,000 miles, and have never had
>>an engine problem related to oil. n e v e r.
>>
>>Go figure. If you want to spend the extra $ on synthetic, it's your
>>money, be my guest.

> I only use fully synth oil and swap it every 2.5-3K miles. But thats the
> manufacturers recommendation lol. Ouch. Bloody 3SGTE engine .

You are simply wasting your money changing it that often.

--
Rob Munach, PE
Excel Engineering