oil stuff

Old July 12th 04, 10:02 AM
Mephistopheles Jones

Default oil stuff

Hi all,

I've got a 1993 SL2 manual 144,000 miles. First a quick question: do you
guys pay $5/qt for the Mobil 5W30 synthetic oil? I can't seem to find it
cheaper anywhere else. I'm in Los Angeles, by the way.

Also, are all oil filters the same? Instead of buying the cheapest one at
Autozone, I bought the next to cheapest one. Bad idea?

Thanks for reading.

Meph

Old July 12th 04, 01:48 PM
Bob Shuman

I buy Mobil 1 by the 6 quart case at Sam's Club and use on one of my
vehicles. I believe it is around $4.50 a quart.

On the oil filter, I buy Purolator brand for all my vehicles since I've had
good luck with them and based on what I've read they do a better job of
filtering and the manufacturing quality is higher. I buy the Purolator Pure
One (blue box) brand at about $4 each and stock up when they go on sale.
I've also used the regular Purolator filter (white box) and these can
usually be had for about $3 each where I live in Illinois.

As mentioned above, I don't use the Mobil 1 in all of our vehicles (there
are 5) since it would be too expensive! I generally use Valvoline (10W30
summer and 5W30 winter) in the Saturn and most of the others as well. This
doesn't seem to be a problem since the engines have 128K, 121K, 68K, 56K,
and 34K miles and we've had no major engine problems of any kind. The Mobil
1/Synthetic is great, but at 4 times the price of regular oil and changing
every 3K miles I'd go broke!

Bob

news

Old July 12th 04, 05:58 PM
Tim Shoppa

Mephistopheles Jones > wrote in message in.com>...
> I've got a 1993 SL2 manual 144,000 miles. First a quick question: do you
> guys pay $5/qt for the Mobil 5W30 synthetic oil? I can't seem to find it
> cheaper anywhere else. I'm in Los Angeles, by the way.

No offense (I have a 92 SL1), but the car isn't worth enough to
justify putting synthetic into it at this point. Maybe if you
really abuse the engine (high-speed driving for long stretches... I-15...)

At one point I tried to justify using synthetic transmission fluid (towing,
etc.) but I can't justify that anymore myself.

> Also, are all oil filters the same? Instead of buying the cheapest one at
> Autozone, I bought the next to cheapest one. Bad idea?

I used to like the cheap Fram's, but their quality has gone downhill
greatly in the past decade. Lately I've putting AC/Delco oil filters
on. (PF53) Only a little more money than the Fram's.

Tim.
Old July 12th 04, 07:26 PM
Mephistopheles Jones

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 09:58:17 -0700, Tim Shoppa wrote:

> Mephistopheles Jones > wrote in message in.com>...
>> I've got a 1993 SL2 manual 144,000 miles. First a quick question: do you
>> guys pay $5/qt for the Mobil 5W30 synthetic oil? I can't seem to find it
>> cheaper anywhere else. I'm in Los Angeles, by the way.

> No offense (I have a 92 SL1), but the car isn't worth enough to
> justify putting synthetic into it at this point. Maybe if you
> really abuse the engine (high-speed driving for long stretches... I-15...)

Well, two things: my gas mileage recently dropped significantly on my
last trip up to the Bay Area (used to be 31+ mpg, now it was 26 mpg, but
maybe it was because I was due for an oil change?) so I thought I'd see if
the synthetic would correct it. Also, I plan to be driving this car for
the next ten years, as long as it can pass the emissions tests, so to me
it's worth spending an extra $10 every 3 months on my present car (if it
extends life) than spending $1000 every 3 months on a car payment.

By the way, does driving 100 mph count as high speed? Everyone does this
on long trips, no?

> At one point I tried to justify using synthetic transmission fluid (towing,
> etc.) but I can't justify that anymore myself.
>
>> Also, are all oil filters the same? Instead of buying the cheapest one at
>> Autozone, I bought the next to cheapest one. Bad idea?

> I used to like the cheap Fram's, but their quality has gone downhill
> greatly in the past decade. Lately I've putting AC/Delco oil filters
> on. (PF53) Only a little more money than the Fram's.

Thanks! I think I bought a Fram, because the can was orange and it had a
neat little grip. Will keep my eyes open next time.

Old July 12th 04, 07:45 PM
richard hornsby

> By the way, does driving 100 mph count as high speed? Everyone does this
> on long trips, no?

Not sure if you're being saracastic or not, but to answer your question:
Around here (Ohio) they call that reckless op and may take your
license from you. With all the construction we have in this state, even
without citing reckless op, that fine will probably run well over 500$
if you get caught in an orange barrel zone doing >55mph.

I had a 1986 Jeep Cherokee whose speedometer only read up to 85mph on
I-95 near Miami a few years back. I think I was doing 90mph and
couldn't keep up with traffic. Total insanity.

-rj
98SL2
Old July 12th 04, 08:06 PM
Mephistopheles Jones

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:45:45 -0400, richard hornsby wrote:

>> By the way, does driving 100 mph count as high speed? Everyone does this
>> on long trips, no?

> Not sure if you're being saracastic or not, but to answer your question:

Yeah, I was being sarcastic

> Around here (Ohio) they call that reckless op and may take your
> license from you. With all the construction we have in this state, even
> without citing reckless op, that fine will probably run well over 500$
> if you get caught in an orange barrel zone doing >55mph.

I think it's a little different here out west, where you have long freeway
stretches of nothingness. Seems to me the only people who get
stopped for speeding on I5 or I10 to Phoenix are people who drive
recklessly. Once I was driving about 90, with traffic, and a car just
ahead of me who was changing lanes dangerously got pulled over. Also, the
stability in newer cars is amazing. I once rented a Maxima that I ended up
driving 90+ mph while thinking I was driving 60mph-- it was a really
smooth ride.

> I had a 1986 Jeep Cherokee whose speedometer only read up to 85mph on
> I-95 near Miami a few years back. I think I was doing 90mph and
> couldn't keep up with traffic. Total insanity.

I remember when I was a teenager and driving close to 100mph was the
scariest thing. But today, some people may have a car that handles at
100mph as well as other cars at 30mph.

Meph

Old July 12th 04, 08:20 PM
richard hornsby

Blah blah wrote:
>>I had a 1986 Jeep Cherokee whose speedometer only read up to 85mph on
>>I-95 near Miami a few years back. I think I was doing 90mph and
>>couldn't keep up with traffic. Total insanity.

> Traffic was moving at 90+ mph in ohio? NO WAY! I keep getting the idiots
> that do 50 on the highway and merge onto the highway doing 35. You sure
> you live in Ohio?

LOL, no, that was Miami Florida a few years ago.

-rj
98SL2
Old July 13th 04, 01:14 AM
arthur

I just bought Mobil 1 5W30 for $3.79 / qt. at Walmart yesterday (regular
price - not on sale).

"Mephistopheles Jones" > wrote in message
news
> Hi all,
>
> I've got a 1993 SL2 manual 144,000 miles. First a quick question: do you
> guys pay $5/qt for the Mobil 5W30 synthetic oil? I can't seem to find it
> cheaper anywhere else. I'm in Los Angeles, by the way.
>
> Also, are all oil filters the same? Instead of buying the cheapest one at
> Autozone, I bought the next to cheapest one. Bad idea?
>
> Thanks for reading.
>
> Meph

increasing number of vehicles with nonfunctional stuff on them? N8N Driving 53 January 21st 05 12:18 PM
OT-Netscum Stuff FYI HarryS Jeep 1 January 3rd 05 11:59 PM
Plastic trim detailing stuff. [review] DougW Jeep 0 December 21st 04 02:57 AM