1996 Accord extended emissions warranty

Old March 6th 05, 09:59 AM

Default 1996 Accord extended emissions warranty

I have a 1996 accord EX ,4cyl VTEC and I'm getting code p0401 which is
EGR valve,insufficient flow.
I saw on the internet that there is some kind of 14yr extended
emissions' warranty that was sent to owners in the form of a
letter,which includes free repairs whenever the Check Engine Light goes
off and whenever the problem is emissions' related.
Has anyone had any repairs done under this warranty?
Thanks

Old March 6th 05, 08:52 PM
halo2 guy

Yes I had repairs done. Last year on my 96 Accord Ex, which I purchased in
1999 at 32k miles from a local Honda Dealership, I had a check engine light
come on. I ran the code and it came out O2 sensor circuit. My car had
about 115k on it. I didn't want to pay for anything and I had remembered
this warranty from a few years before. It is a one shot deal I believe at
this mileage.

I took it in and they fiddled around on their computer saying a repair had
been done on this car under this warranty but I assured them it had not
since I had owned it for several years and only taken it in once for an oil
change when I lived somewhere that I couldn't change my own oil. They were
fine with that and proceeded to perform the repair.

When I picked up my car the invoice was about $1200 for replacing the spark
plug wires, plugs, cap and rotor, cat convertor, and O2 sensor. The O2
sensor was bad and had to be replaced but it was seized in the cat convertor
so they replaced the cat also. The great part is that I didn't owe a cent
since this warranty covered all the repairs.

All you should have to do is mention the extended emission warranty on this
vehicle. If they give you a hard time just search the EPA website for the
related court documents under "honda extended emission warranty" and there
is a phone number listed to contact somebody to get some gears in motion for
your repair.

Like I said I believe this is only a one shot deal, I could be wrong, so
make sure the repair is worth it. If it is something cheap fix it yourself
if capable. Otherwise just take it in.

Let us know how it turned out on this newsgroup.

oups.com...

Old March 7th 05, 07:21 AM

Thank you for the detailed response.Is there any way to find out if
this warranty is a one time deal or not?

Old March 10th 05, 05:37 AM

I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow so I will let you know how it
goes.Thanks for the help.

Old March 11th 05, 07:31 PM

Well,
I just picked up my car from the dealer and this is what was done:
The EGR valve was replaced and all the ports were cleaned.They also
performed the one time tune up.
The guy told me that there was excessive carbon buildup and suggested a
fuel injection service as well as throttle plate service which was not
covered under the extended emissions warranty.
I just drove the car for 5min from the dealer to my house but it seems
that it is a lot more responsive.
Thanks for your help halo2.

Old March 11th 05, 09:50 PM
halo2 guy

Right on ..so I assumed you didn't pay for anything???

oups.com...

Old March 11th 05, 10:32 PM

I had to pay for the fuel injection cleaning and the throttle plate
service.

Honda OEM Parts Catalogs for Sale Joe Honda 0 February 12th 05 02:43 PM
Extended Warranty on 94 Vette. [email protected] Corvette 1 February 1st 05 01:10 AM
Extended auto warranty in California chris General 0 January 18th 05 07:47 PM
Extended Warranty Tom BMW 2 December 15th 04 01:37 AM
Do I need the Extended Warranty? NikIndy Audi 1 November 9th 04 10:30 AM