Help dead battery and can not get into 2000 Vet

Old December 26th 05, 02:08 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default Help dead battery and can not get into 2000 Vet

Coal Miner wrote:
> A friend of mine just bought a 2000 Vet.(6 speed standard) and he thinks he may have left a light on in the car or something like that and the
> battery went dead. He has only had the car for a week and now cannot get into it as it seems like the key lock on the door is not working also.
> If you lift the handle and turn the key you can feel it kind of catching but nothing is happening. He thought the battery on the remote start was
> dead so he changed it also to no avail. We tried synchronizing it but that also didn't work thus making us believe a dead battery. My question is
> what is the proper procedure of opening the door with the key. Do you lift the handel and then turn key?? Also is there a way of opening the hood
> to get at battery. I read somewhere about some spots by windshield wiper , but this was for older cars so I don't know if there is anywhere on
> this car to do that. Thanks in advance for ant Info.

I have to admit I know nothing about the layout or electrical systems of
a 2000 Vette, but it seems to me it might be possible to recharge the
battery by attaching a battery charger from underneath the car... say,
detach the positive battery cable at the starter and connect the
charger's positive clamp to it and the negative clamp to the engine
block. In fact, you may only have to attach the charger (or another
battery) to provide power to allow the key to work the lock so you can
get the hood open.

Anyone know if this will work?
Old December 26th 05, 03:50 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"WayneC" > wrote in message

> I have to admit I know nothing about the layout or electrical
> systems of a 2000 Vette, but it seems to me it might be possible to
> recharge the battery by attaching a battery charger from underneath
> the car... say, detach the positive battery cable at the starter and
> connect the charger's positive clamp to it and the negative clamp to
> the engine block. In fact, you may only have to attach the charger
> (or another battery) to provide power to allow the key to work the
> lock so you can get the hood open.
>
> Anyone know if this will work?

Yes, it has been done that way but re-read his post. First off it has
been messed with by adding an aftermarket alarm/remote start. Second
the manual key should have no problem opening the door if they don't
HAVE to use the remote entry. Third, you always, on any car I've ever
had, unlock it and then use the door handle to open the door.

I have a son that never fails to remind me that when I do something
stupid that I should at the very least be as smart as the object I
working on. I think that situation exist in this case.