Time for New Tires on the NC. Ideas?

Old May 10th 08, 10:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
John McGaw

Default Time for New Tires on the NC. Ideas?

Well, the second set of Michelins on the '06 Sport has come to the end of
its useful life at less than 28K miles. Obviously pretty bad tread life. It
seems providential that the government wants to give me $600 so that I will
feel stimulated. A free new set of tires would be stimulating enough so
that is what I intend to spend it on. I've been considering trying a set of
Eagle F1 All Season tires this time. They are $114 each at TireRack.com and
there is a $50 rebate per set going on. Any clues as to how well these
tires are likely to work? Stock size, stock wheels, fairly energetic
driving. on paper the specs seem good but you know how that usually goes...

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old May 11th 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
OzOne

On Sat, 10 May 2008 17:41:17 -0400, John McGaw >
wrote:

>Well, the second set of Michelins on the '06 Sport has come to the end of
>its useful life at less than 28K miles. Obviously pretty bad tread life. It
>seems providential that the government wants to give me $600 so that I will
>feel stimulated. A free new set of tires would be stimulating enough so
>that is what I intend to spend it on. I've been considering trying a set of
>Eagle F1 All Season tires this time. They are $114 each at TireRack.com and
>there is a $50 rebate per set going on. Any clues as to how well these
>tires are likely to work? Stock size, stock wheels, fairly energetic
>driving. on paper the specs seem good but you know how that usually goes...

Wow John,
My 2005NC has 25,000k and the Pilots are only half worn.
Thing is, I'm very happy with their performance and quiet ride.
I'll, like you need some serious thought to a tyre that will do as
good a job.

BTW are you using std wheel alignment or someting more agressive?

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.
Old May 11th 08, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
John McGaw

OzOne wrote:
> On Sat, 10 May 2008 17:41:17 -0400, John McGaw >
> wrote:
>
>> Well, the second set of Michelins on the '06 Sport has come to the end of
>> its useful life at less than 28K miles. Obviously pretty bad tread life. It
>> seems providential that the government wants to give me $600 so that I will
>> feel stimulated. A free new set of tires would be stimulating enough so
>> that is what I intend to spend it on. I've been considering trying a set of
>> Eagle F1 All Season tires this time. They are $114 each at TireRack.com and
>> there is a $50 rebate per set going on. Any clues as to how well these
>> tires are likely to work? Stock size, stock wheels, fairly energetic
>> driving. on paper the specs seem good but you know how that usually goes...

> Wow John,
> My 2005NC has 25,000k and the Pilots are only half worn.
> Thing is, I'm very happy with their performance and quiet ride.
> I'll, like you need some serious thought to a tyre that will do as
> good a job.
>
> BTW are you using std wheel alignment or someting more agressive?
>

> OzOne of the three twins
>
> I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

Everything about the suspension and alignment are as-delivered. Hard to
believe that anyone could get 25,000k from a set of Pilots with so little
wear. My first set were truly worn to the point of danger at around 22,000k
(14,000 miles). And I rotated them at no more than 5,000 mile intervals as
recommended. Second set is at that point now. But, as I wrote, my driving
style is "energetic" and every curve and ramp is seen as a challenge.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old May 11th 08, 03:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
OzOne

On Sat, 10 May 2008 20:23:41 -0400, John McGaw >
wrote:

>OzOne wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 May 2008 17:41:17 -0400, John McGaw >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Well, the second set of Michelins on the '06 Sport has come to the end of
>>> its useful life at less than 28K miles. Obviously pretty bad tread life. It
>>> seems providential that the government wants to give me $600 so that I will
>>> feel stimulated. A free new set of tires would be stimulating enough so
>>> that is what I intend to spend it on. I've been considering trying a set of
>>> Eagle F1 All Season tires this time. They are $114 each at TireRack.com and
>>> there is a $50 rebate per set going on. Any clues as to how well these
>>> tires are likely to work? Stock size, stock wheels, fairly energetic
>>> driving. on paper the specs seem good but you know how that usually goes...

>> Wow John,
>> My 2005NC has 25,000k and the Pilots are only half worn.
>> Thing is, I'm very happy with their performance and quiet ride.
>> I'll, like you need some serious thought to a tyre that will do as
>> good a job.
>>
>> BTW are you using std wheel alignment or someting more agressive?
>>

>> OzOne of the three twins
>>
>> I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

>Everything about the suspension and alignment are as-delivered. Hard to
>believe that anyone could get 25,000k from a set of Pilots with so little
>wear. My first set were truly worn to the point of danger at around 22,000k
>(14,000 miles). And I rotated them at no more than 5,000 mile intervals as
>recommended. Second set is at that point now. But, as I wrote, my driving
>style is "energetic" and every curve and ramp is seen as a challenge.

I just looked again...maybe 2/3 worn.

My setup is not standard,
I use -0.6 front camber and -1.0 rear and drive the toy like it's
meant to be driven :-)

Old May 11th 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
George Jetson

I got 27k out of my OEM Michelins and was driving on the tread wear bars for
the last 7k. Replaced them last week with 215/45R17 General Altimax HP's. So
far liking them a lot. Weigh 1 pound less than OEM's. 55,000 mile tread
wear, 4 year warranty on defects and 30 day free test drive. $465 balanced
mounted with tax. Best warranty I could find on anything speed rated to 130
mph (H).

Wet traction - Greatly improved
Road noise - About the same
Ride quality - Greatly improved
Dry traction - Can tell no difference
Smooth rolling - Improved

Jim

2006 MX-5 Galaxy Gray Sport w/ suspension package, LSD, Goodwin
Roadstersport Exhaust

Old May 11th 08, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Stuart H.

George Jetson wrote:
> I got 27k out of my OEM Michelins and was driving on the tread wear bars for
> the last 7k. Replaced them last week with 215/45R17 General Altimax HP's. So
> far liking them a lot. Weigh 1 pound less than OEM's. 55,000 mile tread
> wear, 4 year warranty on defects and 30 day free test drive. $465 balanced
> mounted with tax. Best warranty I could find on anything speed rated to 130
> mph (H).
>
> Wet traction - Greatly improved
> Road noise - About the same
> Ride quality - Greatly improved
> Dry traction - Can tell no difference
> Smooth rolling - Improved
>
> Jim
>
> 2006 MX-5 Galaxy Gray Sport w/ suspension package, LSD, Goodwin
> Roadstersport Exhaust
>
> <OzOne> wrote in message ...
>> On Sat, 10 May 2008 20:23:41 -0400, John McGaw >
>> wrote:

>>> Everything about the suspension and alignment are as-delivered. Hard to
>>> believe that anyone could get 25,000k from a set of Pilots with so little
>>> wear. My first set were truly worn to the point of danger at around
>>> 22,000k
>>> (14,000 miles). And I rotated them at no more than 5,000 mile intervals as
>>> recommended. Second set is at that point now. But, as I wrote, my driving
>>> style is "energetic" and every curve and ramp is seen as a challenge.

>> I just looked again...maybe 2/3 worn.
>>
>> My setup is not standard,
>> I use -0.6 front camber and -1.0 rear and drive the toy like it's
>> meant to be driven :-)
>>

>> OzOne of the three twins
>>
>> I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

I put a set of Falken ZIEX 512's on our BMW when it was tie for new
tires, and found them absolutely excellent handling and riding,
especially for the price! Falken is owned by Sumitomo, and are becoming
better known here now. Had an excellent value rating from a number of
testing/reporting groups.

YMMV,

Stuart H.
'91 Eunos Roadster JDM BRG.
Old May 11th 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

John McGaw wrote:
> Well, the second set of Michelins on the '06 Sport has come to the
> end of its useful life at less than 28K miles. Obviously pretty bad
> tread life. It seems providential that the government wants to give
> me $600 so that I will feel stimulated. A free new set of tires
> would be stimulating enough so that is what I intend to spend it on.
> I've been considering trying a set of Eagle F1 All Season tires this
> time. They are $114 each at TireRack.com and there is a $50 rebate
> per set going on. Any clues as to how well these tires are likely to
> work? Stock size, stock wheels, fairly energetic driving. on paper
> the specs seem good but you know how that usually goes...

You might want to take a few moments to look at tirerack.com - they'll
give you a *lot* of suggestions for new tires.

Are you sure you want to go with all-seasons? I've had a lot more fun
with 4 high-performance summer tires and 4 Blizzaks for winter. And
Tire Rack does offer wheel/tire packages at very reasonable prices.

No connection, just a satisfied customer. And that's for both Miatas
that have owned me so far! <g>

Iva & Vixen
2004 Classic Red
No more winkin' Miata

Old May 11th 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
John McGaw

Iva wrote:
> John McGaw wrote:
>> Well, the second set of Michelins on the '06 Sport has come to the
>> end of its useful life at less than 28K miles. Obviously pretty bad
>> tread life. It seems providential that the government wants to give
>> me $600 so that I will feel stimulated. A free new set of tires
>> would be stimulating enough so that is what I intend to spend it on.
>> I've been considering trying a set of Eagle F1 All Season tires this
>> time. They are $114 each at TireRack.com and there is a $50 rebate
>> per set going on. Any clues as to how well these tires are likely to
>> work? Stock size, stock wheels, fairly energetic driving. on paper
>> the specs seem good but you know how that usually goes...

> You might want to take a few moments to look at tirerack.com - they'll
> give you a *lot* of suggestions for new tires.
>
> Are you sure you want to go with all-seasons? I've had a lot more fun
> with 4 high-performance summer tires and 4 Blizzaks for winter. And
> Tire Rack does offer wheel/tire packages at very reasonable prices.
>
> No connection, just a satisfied customer. And that's for both Miatas
> that have owned me so far! <g>
>
> Iva & Vixen
> 2004 Classic Red
> No more winkin' Miata

I understand the trade offs involved in going to an all-season tire over a
summer-only tire but given where I live having a set of winter tires and
wheels would be downright silly and wasteful. What I'm looking for is a set
of the best all-seasons I can find -- ones that will give the best possible
performance day-to-day in my own generally-benign weather but which would
not let me down completely if I decided to do something silly like driving
to Maine in November on a whim (which I've done). I'm also looking for a
bit better tread life. Hitting the wear bars after 14,000 miles is just
ridiculous given the price I have paid for the OEM-type Michelins.

I have been through a bewildering number of tire comparisons at
tirerack.com but decided that some feedback here would be worth seeking.
Often it seems to me that Tirerack offers so much information and so many
brands and models that a decision becomes more difficult rather than
easier. The last time I did that research I finally threw my hands up and
bought another set identical to the OEM tires but promised myself to do
better the next time around.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old May 12th 08, 05:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
John McGaw > wrote:

> What I'm looking for is a set
> of the best all-seasons I can find -- ones that will give the best possible
> performance day-to-day in my own generally-benign weather but which would
> not let me down completely if I decided to do something silly like driving
> to Maine in November on a whim (which I've done). I'm also looking for a
> bit better tread life.

A lot of people are buying the Falken ZE-912, the 512's replacement and
reportedly an improvement in every way for street use such as you
describe.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old May 12th 08, 02:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
John McGaw

John McGaw wrote:
> Well, the second set of Michelins on the '06 Sport has come to the end
> of its useful life at less than 28K miles. Obviously pretty bad tread

snip...

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and suggestions. Guess it is time to
start the comparisons and shopping all over again armed with new knowledge.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

time to replace the tires on the 98.5 A4Q 2.8 KLS Audi 3 September 28th 07 04:05 AM
Part Time 4x4 Problem....Any ideas? [email protected] 4x4 25 December 8th 05 05:00 PM
Part Time 4x4 Problem....Any ideas? [email protected] Technology 3 December 5th 05 10:33 PM
330Ci - time for tires... Barry K BMW 9 August 30th 05 02:56 AM
Time for Tires ChefCharming Audi 12 November 12th 04 12:07 PM