Saw my first E90 today

Old November 7th 04, 05:07 PM
Frank Kemper

Default Saw my first E90 today

Hi folks,

today I went for a walk in the neighbourhood in Munich, and suddenly I
stood in front of an almost uncamouflaged, brand new BMW E90 (new
3'series). It was a 4 door sedan, painted in silver, with some black tapes
which covered the BMW logos and tried to hide the identity of the car
somewhat.

My impression was that the new 3-series is not a design revolution. Those
who like the E46, should feel comfortable with the E90 as well. Both cars
appear to be the same size, although the E90 is larger. Compared to the E60
the front and rar lights of the E90 are more conventional. IMHO it is a
well designed car, which should not cause a nwe wave of Bangle bashing.
Critics may also say that the E90 looks too similar to the E46 to be new.

One detail kept my attention: under the front bumper, beneath the license
plate there was some kind of lens with about three inch diameter. It looked
somewhat like a DE projection foglight. I do not know the purpose of this
single lens. Is it a roadholding aid, a radar controlled cruise control or
what?

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Old November 7th 04, 09:12 PM
Paul Martin

Active Cruise Control sensor...

They could have found a better (more hidden) spot for it.

Old November 8th 04, 05:15 AM
Jim Levie

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 23:11:32 -0500, tech27 wrote:

>> Will I be able to retrofit my E34 with the cup holder at least?

> Yes. The swap is simply the removal of the front passenger seat and
> bolting in the new cup/snack holders.

Close... According to the "leaked" Croatian sales brochure the iFeed
system replaces the front passenger seat and the cup/snack holders mount
in the rear passenger seating. iFeed takes over the transport of drinks
and snacks to driver's mouth allowing the driver to concentrate on the
all important task of driving. It is claimed that the system is intuitive
and easy to use and only adds to the driving experience. It is also
claimned that it is the first automotive robotics application to reach the
motoring public.

Its developers say that soon all cars will have equivalent system and that
they've proposed a standard for automated refills. This will allow "drive
by" drink/snack refills without requiring the driver to leave the car.
Reportedly the demostration "snack station" was able to refill the drink
and popcorn containers in less than 7.2 seconds.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Old November 8th 04, 03:36 PM
tech27

"Jim Levie" > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 23:11:32 -0500, tech27 wrote:
>
>>> Will I be able to retrofit my E34 with the cup holder at least?

>> Yes. The swap is simply the removal of the front passenger seat and
>> bolting in the new cup/snack holders.
>>

> Close... According to the "leaked" Croatian sales brochure the iFeed
> system replaces the front passenger seat and the cup/snack holders mount
> in the rear passenger seating. iFeed takes over the transport of drinks
> and snacks to driver's mouth allowing the driver to concentrate on the
> all important task of driving. It is claimed that the system is intuitive
> and easy to use and only adds to the driving experience. It is also
> claimned that it is the first automotive robotics application to reach the
> motoring public.
>
> Its developers say that soon all cars will have equivalent system and that
> they've proposed a standard for automated refills. This will allow "drive
> by" drink/snack refills without requiring the driver to leave the car.
> Reportedly the demostration "snack station" was able to refill the drink
> and popcorn containers in less than 7.2 seconds.
>
> --
> The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Not only that, but word is the DUC (defecation-urination control), is close
to prototype. The system will provide on demand solids and fluids waste
managment services to driver (default) and passengers (when seat sensors
detect occupants). The tricky part for BMW is trying to figure out how to
get the system to deploy just BEFORE an airbag inflation.

---

Old November 8th 04, 06:46 PM
Ramone Cila

"Paul Martin" > wrote in message

> "Frank Kemper" > wrote in message

> > the front and rar lights of the E90 are more conventional. IMHO it is a
> > well designed car, which should not cause a nwe wave of Bangle bashing.

For those of you with access to it, go out and buy, or stand at the counter
and read, this month's edition of Bimmer Mag. They do a pretty in-depth
interview with Bangle and the info he gives concerning BMW's design decision
making is astounding. In particular there was a discussion on why the
beltlines on new Bimmers is higher than before and the reason for the now
famous "Bangle Butt" (hint: it's an engineering requirement, not a design
decision)

There is also a two page spread with pictures of past and recent Bimmers and
who the designer was for each. Despite numerous, and now we know erroneous,
comments about Bangle and his designs (including the false claim that he
designed the E46) you come to find out he didn't do any of the formulative
work and any of these cars. At best he can be called an overseer, and at
worst nothing more than a liaison between the designers and the board.

For haters, lovers and those who don't care about BMW recent designs it is
an enlightening article. probably the best article Bimmer Mag has ever
published.

Old November 8th 04, 07:48 PM
Frank Kemper

Jim Levie > haute in die Tasten:

> According to the "leaked" Croatian sales brochure the iFeed
> system replaces the front passenger seat and the cup/snack holders mount
> in the rear passenger seating.

The Croatian sales brochures were bound for Slovenia, which is a different
country and a member of the EU;-) And - unlike other "leaked" material
published before - these and other "secret" images really seem to upset
BMW. Currently they are talking about a spy who frequently steals
information and publishes it. It seems that the pictures of a BMW
competitor of the Mercedes Grand Sports Tourer which is due for 2008, was
absolutely not meant to go public...

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Old November 8th 04, 08:35 PM
Kyle and Lori Greene

"Frank Kemper" > wrote in message
> Jim Levie > haute in die Tasten:
>
>> According to the "leaked" Croatian sales brochure the iFeed
>> system replaces the front passenger seat and the cup/snack holders mount
>> in the rear passenger seating.

> The Croatian sales brochures were bound for Slovenia, which is a different
> country and a member of the EU;-) And - unlike other "leaked" material
> published before - these and other "secret" images really seem to upset
> BMW. Currently they are talking about a spy who frequently steals
> information and publishes it. It seems that the pictures of a BMW
> competitor of the Mercedes Grand Sports Tourer which is due for 2008, was
> absolutely not meant to go public...

BMW doesn't seem too upset. They've had this on their website for at least
a week: http://www.bmwusa.com/Vehicles/futurevehicles/new3/ .

Kyle.

Old November 8th 04, 09:03 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Thoughts on these lines have been expressed here several times before.
(I.e. that he is hardly personally involved.)

DAS
---

"Ramone Cila" > wrote in message
[...]
> Despite numerous, and now we know erroneous,
> comments about Bangle and his designs (including the false claim that he
> designed the E46) you come to find out he didn't do any of the formulative
> work and any of these cars. At best he can be called an overseer, and at
> worst nothing more than a liaison between the designers and the board.

[..]

Old November 8th 04, 11:58 PM
Frank Kemper

"Kyle and Lori Greene" > haute in die
Tasten:

> BMW doesn't seem too upset. They've had this on their website for at
> least a week: http://www.bmwusa.com/Vehicles/futurevehicles/new3/ .

The secret images came up two month ago IIRC, and AFAIK BMW will start to
sell the E90 in late 2005, so the E46 sales may suffer severely.

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Old November 9th 04, 07:43 PM
Ramone Cila

"Frank Kemper" > wrote in message
> "Kyle and Lori Greene" > haute in die
> Tasten:
>
> > BMW doesn't seem too upset. They've had this on their website for at
> > least a week: http://www.bmwusa.com/Vehicles/futurevehicles/new3/ .
> >

> The secret images came up two month ago IIRC, and AFAIK BMW will start to
> sell the E90 in late 2005, so the E46 sales may suffer severely.

Not yet they aren't...they are off, but no more than the entire segment is.
And I suspect the incentives will escalate appropriately as they come closer
to to release. But don't forget...only the sedan will be launched. All other
types will be E46 based and phased in over a 2 to 3 year period.

I saw an A6 2005 today Saintor Audi 3 August 17th 04 04:58 AM
4 Did you take your vitamin today? 44 Rocket3 Audi 0 July 29th 04 08:12 PM
Ordered a new A4 today (UK) :) Russell Fray Audi 1 May 27th 04 03:12 AM