Which scan tool to get for 98 Chrysler T&C?

Old September 4th 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Grey-hound

Default Which scan tool to get for 98 Chrysler T&C?

Looking to get a scan tool for a 98 Chrysler Town and Country (suspect
intermittent bcm but that is another post) but one that you know works for
this vehicle. I do not have a laptop so it would have to be the handheld
type. Looking at spending $100-130.00. Thanks to all that reply also I know
it is pushing it but if it would work in a 2005 Acura RSX or a 86 300zx that
would be nice.
Greyhound
Tampa, FL

Old September 4th 07, 11:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
TNKev[_2_]

Grey-hound wrote:
> Looking to get a scan tool for a 98 Chrysler Town and Country (suspect
> intermittent bcm but that is another post) but one that you know works
> for this vehicle. I do not have a laptop so it would have to be the
> handheld type.

I am pretty sure all that you can get that will scan other than the PCM
is a DRB3

http://miller.spx.com/data/DC05-157.pdf

> Looking at spending $100-130.00.

you won't find one for that price that does anything except read the PCM.

Thanks to all that reply
> also I know it is pushing it but if it would work in a 2005 Acura RSX or
> a 86 300zx that would be nice.

2 completely different animals! you may not be able to find a scanner
for anything pre '96

Old September 9th 07, 08:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Grey-hound" > wrote in message
> Looking to get a scan tool for a 98 Chrysler Town and Country (suspect
> intermittent bcm but that is another post) but one that you know works for
> this vehicle. I do not have a laptop so it would have to be the handheld
> type. Looking at spending $100-130.00.

Forget it. The scanners in that price range can only read basic OBD-II,
they
cannot read the manufacturer-specific superset of OBD-II which is what
you need to troubleshoot anything other than just emissions.

OTC makes a Genesis scanner that can do this - cost for a refurbished
one plus the software modules you need is about $1000.00 You can
get these on ebay - check auction 170146925688 for an example.

Ted

Old September 9th 07, 01:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
philthy[_1_]

if you are spending 130.00 all you will get to do is check pcm codes. the
software needed for bcm and abs and airbag modules will exceed 1500.00 on the
low side since you don't have a laptop

Old September 11th 07, 05:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
bllsht

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 00:55:29 -0700, "Ted Mittelstaedt"
> wrote:

>"Grey-hound" > wrote in message
>> Looking to get a scan tool for a 98 Chrysler Town and Country (suspect
>> intermittent bcm but that is another post) but one that you know works for
>> this vehicle. I do not have a laptop so it would have to be the handheld
>> type. Looking at spending $100-130.00.

>Forget it. The scanners in that price range can only read basic OBD-II,
>they
>cannot read the manufacturer-specific superset of OBD-II which is what
>you need to troubleshoot anything other than just emissions.

For $130 you don't get a scanner at all. You get a code reader. Big
difference.

Old September 13th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
vd

Please let me pitch in.

If laptop is available, what are the low cost, good scanner out there
for Chrysler (scanner and software module for Chrysler).
I often receive AutoTap advertisement (through email). I wonder
they're any good, and how good compared to others in term of feature
availability, reliability, compatibility and ease of use.

OBD-1 Scan Tool Mike Stafford VW water cooled 5 April 23rd 07 12:53 AM
scan tool mbjj Technology 0 March 14th 05 09:24 PM
OBD scan tool Peter Dodge 1 February 18th 05 02:54 AM
93 3.3 DRB II Scan tool ncs Chrysler 121 January 16th 05 03:19 PM
Scan tool question Searcher Ford Explorer 5 January 1st 05 12:35 AM