Warranty question

Old October 13th 04, 06:44 PM
DFS

Default Warranty question

Looking at a '02 5series on ebay with 23,000 miles. Was listed as no
warranty, but a clear title, so I asked the seller about the remainder of
factory warranty.

He claims that it was rear ended by a motorcycle, and an airbag went off (?)
, so BMW voided the warranty. I'm guessing that an airbag incident alone
doesn't void the warranty, and that this car was returned to service after a
total, and should have been listed with a salvage title.

Car is in IOWA. Anyone know if they mark the title of a salvage vehicle?

Anybody know if an airbag boom alone voids the warranty?

Thanks!

DS

Old October 13th 04, 06:49 PM
tech27

Whole story sounds like bull****. I'd stay away from this car.

Old October 13th 04, 06:59 PM
DFS

"tech27" > wrote in message
.verio.net...
> Whole story sounds like bull****. I'd stay away from this car.

My thoughts exactly, but I don't want to get the auction yanked if the guy
is being honest, so would like to know if the airbag/warranty issue is
correct.

Thanks again.

ds

Old October 13th 04, 10:22 PM
Jeff Strickland

PERSONAL OBSERVATION HERE

If the airbag blew, the frame took a serious shot. Run, do not walk, to the
nearest exit.

The airbag needs an impact of equivelent to something like 20mph, and if
that impace came from the back as claimed, the damage to that car is
extensive. If the price is very low and the repairs are very good, then it
MIGHT be a good car to buy, but my inclination is it is a poor purchase
option.

I can see how it could have a warranty void as a result of the airbag going
off, and still not have a salvage title. A salvage title should be clearly
marked, but I see no direct relationship of the title status with the airbag
going off. The impact needed to deploy the airbag from an impact from the
front would not be sufficient to total the car and cause a salvage title to
be issued. Having said that, an impact from the rear that depoyed the airbag
could total a car.

The question to ask is not about the status of the title, but the validity
of the statement that a deployed airbag can void the warranty. No matter
what, you should be able to find a better candidate to be parked in your
garage.

"DFS" > wrote in message news:kQdbd.1800$3Q.1103@trnddc04...
> Looking at a '02 5series on ebay with 23,000 miles. Was listed as no
> warranty, but a clear title, so I asked the seller about the remainder of
> factory warranty.
>
> He claims that it was rear ended by a motorcycle, and an airbag went off

(?)

Old October 14th 04, 12:51 AM
tech27

No.

Nothing you do to the car in the normal course of things (except for adding
turbos, etc.) will void a warranty. If the car is severely wrecked, BMW
would make the repairs such that the warranty would continue.

Old October 14th 04, 09:46 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article rio.net>,
tech27 > wrote:
> Nothing you do to the car in the normal course of things (except for
> adding turbos, etc.) will void a warranty. If the car is severely
> wrecked, BMW would make the repairs such that the warranty would
> continue.

In the UK, any body repairs must be carried out by a BMW dealer - or a
charged for inspection carried out afterwards by them - to avoid
invalidating the 'rust' warranty.

--
*A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old October 14th 04, 02:07 PM
Somebody

"DFS" > wrote in message news:kQdbd.1800$3Q.1103@trnddc04...
> Looking at a '02 5series on ebay with 23,000 miles. Was listed as no
> warranty, but a clear title, so I asked the seller about the remainder of
> factory warranty.
>
> He claims that it was rear ended by a motorcycle, and an airbag went off

(?)
> , so BMW voided the warranty. I'm guessing that an airbag incident alone
> doesn't void the warranty, and that this car was returned to service after

> total, and should have been listed with a salvage title.
>
> Car is in IOWA. Anyone know if they mark the title of a salvage vehicle?
>
> Anybody know if an airbag boom alone voids the warranty?
>
> Thanks!
>
> DS

What a great scam for the car companies, to introduce a safety feature that
magically voids the warranty every time it is used. Ford is holding on line
2....

That is one of the funniest stories I've heard passed off as truth.

It would be interesting to figure out which state it was totalled in. If
you're bored, take the VIN and run it at your local dealership to find out
where it used to live and check there.

-Russ.

Old October 14th 04, 02:15 PM
mark

Ask the owner if it has a "salvage" title.

Old October 14th 04, 03:57 PM
tech27

Yes. I wasn't thinking about rust warranty. I assumed only mechanical stuff.
Good point.

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article rio.net>,
> tech27 > wrote:
>> Nothing you do to the car in the normal course of things (except for
>> adding turbos, etc.) will void a warranty. If the car is severely
>> wrecked, BMW would make the repairs such that the warranty would
>> continue.

> In the UK, any body repairs must be carried out by a BMW dealer - or a
> charged for inspection carried out afterwards by them - to avoid
> invalidating the 'rust' warranty.
>
> --
> *A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good *
>
> Dave Plowman London SW
> To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Body computer; Warranty Direct , Ideas? PhilipS Alfa Romeo 2 December 21st 04 10:03 PM
Transmission fluid filter question LIW Audi 0 November 22nd 04 04:45 PM
Extended warranty Ian D BMW 0 September 20th 04 02:52 AM
Audi Certified pre-owned warranty question ? GMan Audi 0 June 29th 04 05:57 AM
aftermarket warranty [email protected] Audi 0 May 28th 04 08:23 PM