195/55/14 T1R OOP?

Old June 6th 07, 04:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Default 195/55/14 T1R OOP?

.. How inaccurate will
> 195/60/14 make the speedo readings? Any other reasons not to use that
> size?

Do a google search for "tire diameter calculators". I did it just the other
day and found several very user friendly sites w/ calculators. A couple
showed a wealth of info. including % off, revolutions per mile, speedo
indicated speed at true 60mph and on and on!

Chris
99BBB

Old June 6th 07, 05:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

>> How inaccurate will 195/60/14 make the speedo readings? Any
>> other reasons not to use that size?
>>

> Do a google search for "tire diameter calculators". I did it just
> the other day and found several very user friendly sites w/
> calculators. A couple showed a wealth of info. including % off,
> revolutions per mile, speedo indicated speed at true 60mph and on
> and on!

Unfortunately, a tire calculator can only give you an approximation. A
195/60/14 from one manufacturer will NOT be the same circumference and
or width as the same size from another manufacturer, believe it or not.
This really frustrates people with motorcycles or modified Jeeps where
fender clearance can be marginal and a larger circumference or wider
tire can rub.

The only accurate source of information is the manufacturer's website,
some give all the measurements, some don't, but it's worth a check.

Old June 6th 07, 05:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Frank Berger" > wrote:

> Any comments on the Yokohama ES-100?

It's not in the same league as the T1R with regard to grip, ride,
predictability, or, reportedly, treadlife. I don't know anyone who's
stepped up to the Toyo who doesn't wish he'd bought them in the first
place. After Yokohama's legendary AVSi, the ES100 is disappointing. Not
one of the good Yokos has a 14" size.

The original 14" T-1S was introduced specifically due to pleas from
Miata owners. IMHO, Toyo will continue to produce the T1R (or its
successor) in 195/55-14 as long as we keep buying them.

Bear in mind that max performance tires are not long-term investments.
After two years, none of them will still have the grip it did new, even
if there's still plenty of tread left. Buy what you want now, and worry
about the future when it arrives.

Your other alternative is to buy 15" wheels. Then your choices expand to
include the Goodyear F1 GS-D3, a good clone of the T1R. For that matter,
the 195/50-15 T1R is typically available for about $15 less than the
195/55-14 size, so your new wheels should pay for themselves in only a
few decades. :-)
Old June 6th 07, 06:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

"Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Frank Berger" > wrote:
>
>> Any comments on the Yokohama ES-100?

> It's not in the same league as the T1R with regard to grip, ride,
> predictability, or, reportedly, treadlife. I don't know anyone who's
> stepped up to the Toyo who doesn't wish he'd bought them in the first
> place. After Yokohama's legendary AVSi, the ES100 is disappointing. Not
> one of the good Yokos has a 14" size.
>
> The original 14" T-1S was introduced specifically due to pleas from
> Miata owners. IMHO, Toyo will continue to produce the T1R (or its
> successor) in 195/55-14 as long as we keep buying them.
>
> Bear in mind that max performance tires are not long-term investments.
> After two years, none of them will still have the grip it did new, even
> if there's still plenty of tread left. Buy what you want now, and worry
> about the future when it arrives.
>
> Your other alternative is to buy 15" wheels. Then your choices expand to
> include the Goodyear F1 GS-D3, a good clone of the T1R. For that matter,
> the 195/50-15 T1R is typically available for about $15 less than the
> 195/55-14 size, so your new wheels should pay for themselves in only a
> few decades. :-)

I have a replacement T1R for the one I wrecked ordered and on the way (it's
taking about a week, couldn't find one locally). I have a '96 with '99 OEM
alloys that I bought on miata.net (4 perfect wheels for $400). If I knew
that what I know now, I would have bought 15" wheels.

Toyo may not have announced anything, but according to my dealer they are
out of stock at the factory and he was told getting them into production was
not a priority.

I replaced my previous T1-S's at about 20K. I don't drive aggressively very
often, but I had noticed the loss of grip.

Old June 6th 07, 01:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article >,
> "Frank Berger" > wrote:
>

>>Any comments on the Yokohama ES-100?

> It's not in the same league as the T1R with regard to grip, ride,
> predictability, or, reportedly, treadlife. I don't know anyone who's
> stepped up to the Toyo who doesn't wish he'd bought them in the first
> place. After Yokohama's legendary AVSi, the ES100 is disappointing. Not
> one of the good Yokos has a 14" size.
>
> The original 14" T-1S was introduced specifically due to pleas from
> Miata owners. IMHO, Toyo will continue to produce the T1R (or its
> successor) in 195/55-14 as long as we keep buying them.
>
> Bear in mind that max performance tires are not long-term investments.
> After two years, none of them will still have the grip it did new, even
> if there's still plenty of tread left. Buy what you want now, and worry
> about the future when it arrives.
>
> Your other alternative is to buy 15" wheels. Then your choices expand to
> include the Goodyear F1 GS-D3, a good clone of the T1R. For that matter,
> the 195/50-15 T1R is typically available for about $15 less than the
> 195/55-14 size, so your new wheels should pay for themselves in only a
> few decades. :-)

The TR1 is a very good tire. It is also the most over-hyped tire I have
ever read about and used.
The TR1 has plenty of limitations and compromises, like all tires that
have ever been made.

Pat
Old June 6th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

"Frank Berger" > wrote:

>My tire dealer tells me Toyo is out of stock in this size. Toyo's web site
>doesn't seem even to list it. They seem to be scarce. If these are going
>out of production what is a reasonable alternative? I guess I could upgrade
>to 15 inch wheels, but who knows how long they'll make the 195/50/15?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=69

Leon
--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
Old June 6th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> The TR1 is a very good tire. It is also the most over-hyped tire I have
> ever read about and used.
> The TR1 has plenty of limitations and compromises, like all tires that
> have ever been made.

It's the cushy ride, Pat. You won't find that combination of grip and
plushness in any other 14" tire.
Old June 6th 07, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
G. Mack

> It doesn't appear Hankook makes a 14" tire, which is the whole point.
> Haven't checked Falken yet. Won't be surprised to find the same.

They both come in a 14", 195/??-14. The Hankook started coming out
with the 14" recently and I got a set on my stock '96 rims right now.
The Hankook 14" are rated V and the Falken 14" are rated H, which may
suggest the Hankook will ride rougher. I choose the Hankooks because
I thought it'll handle better in the wet which is important around
where I live. I've talked with a few Miata owners using Azenis on
stock rims and they say the rain has never been a problem for them,
but they also don't drive aggressively when it's wet(common sense for
some).

Old June 6th 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in message
> "Frank Berger" > wrote:
>
>>My tire dealer tells me Toyo is out of stock in this size. Toyo's web
>>site
>>doesn't seem even to list it. They seem to be scarce. If these are going
>>out of production what is a reasonable alternative? I guess I could
>>upgrade
>>to 15 inch wheels, but who knows how long they'll make the 195/50/15?

> http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=69

Not sure how this is supposed to help. I can do Internet searches myself.
I am looking for 1st-hand experience from Miata drivers.

I was mistaken about Toyo not listing the 195/55/14 size. They still do.

Old June 6th 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

"Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> pws > wrote:
>
>> The TR1 is a very good tire. It is also the most over-hyped tire I have
>> ever read about and used.
>> The TR1 has plenty of limitations and compromises, like all tires that
>> have ever been made.

> It's the cushy ride, Pat. You won't find that combination of grip and
> plushness in any other 14" tire.

It's also a T1R, not a TR1.