Ghia bodywork

Old October 26th 04, 02:43 AM
Max Welton

Default Ghia bodywork

Am making some progress. I am replacing a large portion of the left rear
fender and have cut the main replacement section (oversized) to overlay
the fender.

http://66.225.214.60/ghia/MVC-565F.JPG
http://66.225.214.60/ghia/MVC-566F.JPG

So the next step is to begin trimming the car to match the edges of the
replacement fender. In some places I would like to go with a flanged
joint. Can anyone recommend a good tool to form a flange? Harbor Freight
has a air-powered tool for around $50, but it seems like there would be a
hand-tool for the job as well.

Max
--
http:/www.MaxWelton.net/
Old October 26th 04, 03:34 AM
GaryH

Eastwood Co has hand flangers but might be more than the air powered one
from HF.

news

Old October 26th 04, 04:37 AM
Max Welton

Eastwood. Of course. And it looks like they have several types, including
Item No. 31015 that looks like a specialized vice-grip for about 28 bucks.

Each of the Eastwood flangers handle up to 18 gauge metal... What gauge
sheet was used for VWs in 1967? How does one convert gauge to inches?

Max

--
http:/www.MaxWelton.net/
Old October 26th 04, 04:40 AM
Max Welton

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:37:03 -0600, Max Welton >
wrote:

> Eastwood. Of course. And it looks like they have several types,
> including Item No. 31015 that looks like a specialized vice-grip for
> about 28 bucks.
>
> Each of the Eastwood flangers handle up to 18 gauge metal... What gauge
> sheet was used for VWs in 1967? How does one convert gauge to inches?
>
> Max

Got it.

http://www.geocities.com/shridhar_prabhu/gauge-cov.html

Max
--
http:/www.MaxWelton.net/
Old October 27th 04, 04:53 AM
ThaDriver

I think the Ghia will have 18 guage. Go with the pnematic flanger as it
will save a lot of time & effort, plus if it's like the one I have it also
punches holes - very handy.
HTH,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Old October 27th 04, 02:13 PM
GaryH

> Eastwood. Of course. And it looks like they have several types, including
> Item No. 31015 that looks like a specialized vice-grip for about 28 bucks.
>
> Each of the Eastwood flangers handle up to 18 gauge metal... What gauge
> sheet was used for VWs in 1967? How does one convert gauge to inches?
>
> Max

VWs have around 20-22 guage I think. At least my Ghia did. Converting from
gauage to inches is easy. 16 guage = 1/16", 20 guage = 1/20", etc.

Old October 30th 04, 03:15 AM
Mel P.

Take a look at my ghia site... I welded strips on the inside of the cut
edge to create flanges. You also have the option of overlapping the patch.
Punch/drill holes along the edge and plug weld. The material is thin enough
that if you apply the filler correctly it'll be fine.

--
Mel

77 Revived Bug & 70 Ghia Cabriolet
www.geocities.com/mpernice
PARTS FOR SALE: http://www.geocities.com/njvwclub/vwparts/index.htm
news

Old October 30th 04, 08:17 PM
Bill Berckman

Mel wrote:

>Take a look at my ghia site... I welded strips on the inside of the cut
>edge to create flanges. You also have the option of overlapping the patch.
>Punch/drill holes along the edge and plug weld. The material is thin enough
>that if you apply the filler correctly it'll be fine.
>
>--
>Mel

Hey Mel:

I saw your Ghia in Hot VWs at one of the shows. Congrats on you award for the
nice looking car.
Bill Berckman
67 Beetle

Old November 14th 04, 04:57 PM
John Kelly

Ghia sheet metal is about 19 or 20 gage. If you must flange the
metal, it is pretty easy to make your own flanging tool. Make a set
of dies from flat bar or whatever, that have the desired flange,
connect them together with flat bar so they look like a long shallow
"V". a "U" The opening of the "V" or "U" has the dies welded to
it...slip the dies over the metal edge..pound with a hammer...back
into newsgroup hibernation for me...

John www.ghiaspecialties.com