'91 Accord - DTC 12 EGR valve - My Experience.

Old December 9th 04, 03:22 PM
Todd K.

Default '91 Accord - DTC 12 EGR valve - My Experience.

I recently resolved my DTC 12 problem on my '91 Accord and thought I
would share my results. If you've read this far, you probably already
know that DTC 12 is EGR Valve Lift Sensor Failure as per the shop
manual.

My symptoms were :

-CEL (DTC 12) would come on shortly after driving the car each time.
-Engine would nearly stall (but never did)when coming to a complete
stop

I did the diagnostic checks recommended in the manual with the vacuum
pump/gauge and everything checked out OK. So I figured it was either
clogged EGR ports or a bad lift sensor. I cleaned the EGR ports. They
were almost completely clogged. BTW, get some replacement plugs from
the dealer. They are only $0.60 ea. and you WILL drill thru at least
one trying to take them out. This did solve my problem. So next I
plunked down the $150 and ordered the EGR valve (the lift sensor does
not come as a separate part) from Majestic Honda online. Slapped it on
with a new gasket (the gasket came with the valve. You don't need to
order a separate one. Anyone need a EGR gasket?) and the DCT 12
cleared and it idles fine now. Cleaning the ports did not solve my DTC
12 problem, but it did improve the vibration in the steering wheel at
idle while in Drive or Reverse.

Thanks for listening,

Todd K.

Old December 9th 04, 03:33 PM
Todd K.

correction:

cleaning the EGR ports did NOT solve my problem.

Todd K.

Old December 9th 04, 05:10 PM
motsco_ _

Todd K. wrote:
> I recently resolved my DTC 12 problem on my '91 Accord and thought I
> would share my results. If you've read this far, you probably already
> know that DTC 12 is EGR Valve Lift Sensor Failure as per the shop
> manual.
>
> My symptoms were :
>
> -CEL (DTC 12) would come on shortly after driving the car each time.
> -Engine would nearly stall (but never did)when coming to a complete
> stop
>
> I did the diagnostic checks recommended in the manual with the vacuum
> pump/gauge and everything checked out OK. So I figured it was either
> clogged EGR ports or a bad lift sensor. I cleaned the EGR ports. They
> were almost completely clogged. BTW, get some replacement plugs from
> the dealer. They are only $0.60 ea. and you WILL drill thru at least
> one trying to take them out. This did solve my problem. So next I
> plunked down the $150 and ordered the EGR valve (the lift sensor does
> not come as a separate part) from Majestic Honda online. Slapped it on
> with a new gasket (the gasket came with the valve. You don't need to
> order a separate one. Anyone need a EGR gasket?) and the DCT 12
> cleared and it idles fine now. Cleaning the ports did not solve my DTC
> 12 problem, but it did improve the vibration in the steering wheel at
> idle while in Drive or Reverse.
>
> Thanks for listening,
>
> Todd K.

------------------

Did you ever perform a valve adjustment? The early CR-V's did that
(stalling trick) because the valves tend to tighten, and the manual says
'don't adjust unless they get noisy'. . . . BRILLIANT SUGGESTION.

'Curly'

Old December 9th 04, 05:16 PM
Todd K.

No, I didn't.

This stalling was definitlely due to the EGR valve remaining open too
much when idling. It makes sense, since the lift sensor was not
telling the ECU that the valve was already open enough.

Todd K.

Old December 10th 04, 12:20 AM
marcel

"Todd K." > wrote in
oups.com:

> correction:
>
> cleaning the EGR ports did NOT solve my problem.
>
> Todd K.

check your air inlet circuit
it can be some false air intake during engine warm up
check the gaskets too

marcel