195/55/14 T1R OOP?

Old June 7th 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default 195/55/14 T1R OOP?

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> It's the cushy ride, Pat. You won't find that combination of grip and
> plushness in any other 14" tire.

Do the properties of the Toyo T1S/now T1R change when you go to 15
inches? It has been over 16 years since I have had tires mounted on 14
inch rims.
All of my other tires bought since then have been 15 inch until my
latest miata with the 16X7 SSR Comps.

Soon after I bought my '96M, I mounted the Potenza RE-71's that you
recommended and liked them very much.
I soon met a girl with the same car, but with Toyo T1S tires mounted,
which were not an option on 14 inch wheels at that time. (somewhere
around 2000)

My car with the RE-71's was more comfortable to drive, though that was
undoubtedly due to the Konis set on soft that I had compared to her
worn-out original shocks.
Still, the RE-71's had superior turn-in and were extremely comfortable
to drive on, I wouldn't have wanted the car any more cushy-feeling than
that.
The grip, both wet and dry, was very similar between the two tires, a
good combination for the street in either case.

Like I said, the Toyo is a very good tire, but it can not escape the
compromises that the designers had to decide on when making it,
compromises that go beyond tire life and cold weather driving.

For example, it can't have the best dry handling and wet handling
characteristics at the same time, but to hear it talked about, it sounds
like it magically goes from a slick to an aquatread design depending on
the road conditions.

Pat
Old June 7th 07, 04:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Frank Berger wrote:
> "Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message
>
>>In article >,
>>pws > wrote:
>>

>>>The TR1 is a very good tire. It is also the most over-hyped tire I have
>>>ever read about and used.
>>>The TR1 has plenty of limitations and compromises, like all tires that
>>>have ever been made.

>>It's the cushy ride, Pat. You won't find that combination of grip and
>>plushness in any other 14" tire.

> It's also a T1R, not a TR1.

Thank you sir, you are correct. :-)

Pat
Old June 7th 07, 06:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> Still, the RE-71's had superior turn-in and were extremely comfortable
> to drive on, I wouldn't have wanted the car any more cushy-feeling than
> that.

Yes, the RE71 had better turn in. I got over that in about an hour. It's
not just that the Toyo rides well, soaking up tar strips like you had
another inch of travel--the tread stays on the pavement better,
especially over rough or broken surfaces, including sand and gravel. I
was sold the first time I encountered gravel halfway around a turn over
a slight rise. Instead of losing it, the back end stepped out a couple
of inches and just stuck. Enormously forgiving. The RE71 was nice, but
it couldn't do that.

> The grip, both wet and dry, was very similar between the two tires, a
> good combination for the street in either case.

My first set of T-1S replaced RE71s (both 195/55-14). Even discounting
the fact they were new, the Toyos had better grip in any weather, as
well as more predictable and progressive behavior at the limit.

The single thing I don't like about the Toyo: it typically starts to
tramline at 12k-15k miles, long before the tread wears out. It's not
terrible, and another 2 psi helps for awhile, but it's annoying. Of
course, it's not the only UHP tire to do this.
Old June 7th 07, 07:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article >,
> pws > wrote:
>

>>Still, the RE-71's had superior turn-in and were extremely comfortable
>>to drive on, I wouldn't have wanted the car any more cushy-feeling than
>>that.

> Yes, the RE71 had better turn in. I got over that in about an hour. It's
> not just that the Toyo rides well, soaking up tar strips like you had
> another inch of travel--the tread stays on the pavement better,
> especially over rough or broken surfaces, including sand and gravel. I
> was sold the first time I encountered gravel halfway around a turn over
> a slight rise. Instead of losing it, the back end stepped out a couple
> of inches and just stuck. Enormously forgiving. The RE71 was nice, but
> it couldn't do that.
>

>>The grip, both wet and dry, was very similar between the two tires, a
>>good combination for the street in either case.

> My first set of T-1S replaced RE71s (both 195/55-14). Even discounting
> the fact they were new, the Toyos had better grip in any weather, as
> well as more predictable and progressive behavior at the limit.
>
> The single thing I don't like about the Toyo: it typically starts to
> tramline at 12k-15k miles, long before the tread wears out. It's not
> terrible, and another 2 psi helps for awhile, but it's annoying. Of
> course, it's not the only UHP tire to do this.

Funny that I am arguing at all against a tire that very well may be my
next choice. (again)

Still, I don't think that you can ever fully discount the effects of
replacing a worn out set of tires with performance tires of any sort.
There has simply been too much time that has passed since the complete
memory of how the other tires performed when new.

Even doing track runs for comparison isn't proof, it could indicate all
sorts of things, including getting more comfortable with the car.

I was comparing both sets of tires on almost identical vehicles often
within the same half-hour, with probably a few more miles on the Toyos
but not into the bad stage yet, and I did not notice the large
difference in traction that you did.
This was both in wet and dry and on different types of pavement.

I would also like to see a comparison test with identical vehicles
between the Toyo's and the Yokohama EVS-100's in the rain. I am going to
bet on the Yoko's as long as they are new tires.
The Toyos get my bet for dry runs.

I guess our mileage does vary... :-)

Pat
Old June 10th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Robert E. Ford

Default 195/55/14 T1R The above site seems to have these tires

http://www.carolinaclassictrucks.com...tore_Code=CCTI

"Frank Berger" > wrote in message
> My tire dealer tells me Toyo is out of stock in this size. Toyo's web

site
> doesn't seem even to list it. They seem to be scarce. If these are going
> out of production what is a reasonable alternative? I guess I could

upgrade