No Heat.....

Old May 15th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
D O A

Default No Heat.....

I have a 2001 ranger & suddenly there is no hot air, not even warm, to
be had from the unit. I thought it might have been the thermostat but
somebody told me if it was the thermostat, I'd still get a little bit of
warm air. I get none at all. Any ideas? Thanks.....

Old May 16th 07, 02:35 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Mike Romain

D O A wrote:
> I have a 2001 ranger & suddenly there is no hot air, not even warm, to
> be had from the unit. I thought it might have been the thermostat but
> somebody told me if it was the thermostat, I'd still get a little bit of
> warm air. I get none at all. Any ideas? Thanks.....

The first thing to do is to check the fluid level in the radiator. Low
fluid will give no inside heat just before it fries the engine.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old May 16th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
.boB

D O A wrote:

> I have a 2001 ranger & suddenly there is no hot air, not even warm, to
> be had from the unit. I thought it might have been the thermostat but
> somebody told me if it was the thermostat, I'd still get a little bit of
> warm air. I get none at all. Any ideas? Thanks.....

You get heat from hot coolant. No heat means there
is no hot coolant in the core.
Check fluid levels first. Probably not the issue
though. Even if the cooling system was only half full,
you would still get a little heat. The heater core is
just a small radiator.
So you want to look for something blocking the
lines. With the engine warm, heater on, fan off, feel
both heater lines inside the engine compartment. They
should both be pretty warm, but one will be slightly
cooler than the other.
Most vehicles have a valve that blocks the flow of
coolant through the core. Usually vacuum operated. If
one heater line is considerably cooler than the
other, apply vacuum to the valve. If the line starts
to warm up, you've found your problem. Whatever
controls the vacuum valve isn't working.
If it doesn't, the valve is probably clogged.
Replace the valve with a short piece of pipe and see if
it starts working again.

--
..boB
2006 FXDI hot rod

Old May 17th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Bill KB3GUN

Mike Romain wrote:
> D O A wrote:
>> I have a 2001 ranger & suddenly there is no hot air, not even warm,
>> to be had from the unit. I thought it might have been the thermostat
>> but somebody told me if it was the thermostat, I'd still get a
>> little bit of warm air. I get none at all. Any ideas? Thanks.....
>>

> The first thing to do is to check the fluid level in the radiator. Low
> fluid will give no inside heat just before it fries the engine.
>
> Mike

Also check the 2 hoses going to the core on the pass side firewall. With the
engine at operating temperature and the controls set to hot: Are both hoses
warm/hot? If only one is warm and one is cold, it could be a blocked heater
core. It could also be the heater shutoff valve. I had an '88 and it was
located inside the core plastic case. Not sure where it is on the '01.
--
Smitty
Somerset, PA

Old May 19th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
D O A

thanx guys, it was a blocked core.

No Heat opto3 Honda 2 September 21st 06 06:32 PM
No Heat John Saturn 6 January 9th 06 08:20 AM
'99 Ply Voy Still not much heat!!! thegospelmagicman Dodge 3 December 27th 05 08:47 PM
No Heat sansha BMW 2 October 4th 05 12:55 PM
Heat Chicago Paddling-Fishing VW water cooled 7 January 18th 05 12:09 PM