Wood grain finishing

Old September 24th 03, 12:30 PM
MN

Default Wood grain finishing

Hello,
I am wondering if anyone know how to re-finish old dash board on antique car
that would look like wood grain finishing. I can paint the dash no problem
on my own but to have it look like wood grain is a problem. For example,
where do you buy the wood stain for wood grain design that is compatible
with automotive paint and what is the step by steps procedure. Any
suggestion is greatly appeciated.

Regards,
MN

Old September 24th 03, 11:31 PM
John Alt

In article >,
says...
> Hello,
> I am wondering if anyone know how to re-finish old dash board on antique car
> that would look like wood grain finishing. I can paint the dash no problem
> on my own but to have it look like wood grain is a problem. For example,
> where do you buy the wood stain for wood grain design that is compatible
> with automotive paint and what is the step by steps procedure. Any
> suggestion is greatly appeciated.

Depends on what you are doing and the shape of the structure. Are you
trying to replace wood already in the dash, or adding a wood look to the
metal?
If the latter, I've seen some paint techniques with cheese cloth that
mimic it. If the surface doesn't have any (or severe) compound curves,
you can use a thin self adhesive veneer. The material I have is Oak,
about 1/16 of an inch or so, and has Scotch 468MP adhesive on the back.
Sorry I don't remember the brand name, but I bought it at Paxton Woods
in New Orleans. Came in a 4' * 4' sheet. If you go to Home depot or the
like, you will see something similar to it sold in tape-width rolls for
trimming the edges of plywood panels. It is finished just like regular
wood (stain, poly, etc.). I have some pictures of it on the dash of my
81 Blazer if you would like me to email them to you. If you want to find
the stuff, talk to a cabinet maker or a really good lumber supply house.
Might try looking up veneer.

I believe it was similar to this (note, I've never used this company)

http://www.certainlywood.com/woodmenu.htm

Here is a sample they advertise for dashboards, walnut burl, very pretty

http://www.certainlywood.com/Typesamples/walburl.htm

Call or email them and they might be able to help
Good luck
Old September 27th 03, 02:53 PM
Andy & Lucinda

This is a multi-layer paint job. There was a really good instructional
article a few years ago in "Auto Restorer Magazine" on this. Don't see
why they shouldn't sell back issues.

http://www.autorestorermagazine.com/car/

Luck,
Andy
--
***remove "spambomb" from address to reply...***
Old October 8th 03, 06:04 PM
Scott S.

Try the following link from a fellow Plymouth owner. This produces a
nice look and is close to the original method used.

http://www.ply33.com/Repair/woodgrain.html