Some questions

Old November 19th 04, 06:22 AM
Jeff Kleier

Default Some questions

I recently picked up another Beetle to add to the stable; this time, a
beautiful '65. Here's the plan: I want to make it into a great German
Looker. Here are the questions:

1) what is the largest tire/wheel combo that I
can run without rubbing the fenders? I can
get the front beam narrowed, no problem.
The entire car will be lowered 2" all around.

2) are there kit-car manufacturers that make
full-size tube-frame chassis for their cars?
I was thinking of dropping the 65's body on
to a tube-frame, for strength and updated
equipment (4-wheel disc brakes, stainless
plumbing, IRS, etc)

3) What would be involved in adding an actual
automatic trans to a Beetle engine? Not the
auto-stick fiasco but a full automatic. I want
to surprise a friend of mine who lost the use
of his left leg; he is still a huge Beetle fan,
though. AND, would the auto trans be able
to handle engine HP of around 130-150?

4) What is the best soundproofing material
available now? I'm in the process of putting
a stealth stereo system together in my '66
and I want to block out as much engine and
road noise as possible. Also, how about
wiring?

5) I would like to hide the door hinges so the
side profile would be really clean. Has any-
one done this to their Beetles or if not, how
difficult would this be to accomplsh?

6) About Type IV engines. I know that Raby's
is the pace to go for the engine and trans-
axle; they are all about the Type IVs! Can
anyone recommend a shop that can install
the engine and trans? Also, what about
Scat's Split-Port heads? Would those be
recommended for the Type IV? Also,
Extrude Hone? Would this help as well?

7) I would REALLY like to have air conditioning
and decent heating systems in my Beetles.
I haven't heard good things about Barney's
and I.C.E., the two places that offer those
systems. Does anyone have any ideas
or recommendations about how to get these
systems into a Beetle, and be happy with
them?

8) I am kicking around the idea of having a
center console that goes all the way to the
back seat, and up even with the parcel
tray. Something that would look like one
piece, padded and upholstered in material
to match the rest of the interior. The
problem is that my building/mechanical
skills are lacking severly. Does anyone
have any suggestions on where I could
go and have this done? Possibly even
have a center armrest come out in the back
with the console around it.

9) Last question, for now!!! About the Type IV
again. Can you use electronic fuel injection
with a Type IV engine, like what is offered by
CB Performance? I just want to have a
very strong, very powerful, efficient engine
for my Beetle.

That's it, everybody. Let me thank you all in advance for your help and
direction. Like I've said before and I'll continue to say, Beetle
people are the best people.

PS What happened to Car Custom, the shop?
How about Chris Addington, the guy who
pretty much specialized in custom Ghias,
and built the one Ghia, Rodbuster, with the
billet aluminum frame? Price tag: $300K

OK, now that's it! Thanks again and I hope you all have great
Thankgivings and holiday seasons.

Old November 19th 04, 08:30 AM
geoffers

Wow! The majority of your questions, I can't answer. But, when you get
that project '65 done, you better show it off in a website or something.
As for the automatic tranny question, didn't the Type III line have a full
automatic available? Maybe you can find one from a donor Type III.

Geoffe Elias
'74 Super Beetle

Old November 19th 04, 12:45 PM
Tim Rogers

"geoffers" > wrote in message
news

> Wow! The majority of your questions, I can't answer. But, when you get
> that project '65 done, you better show it off in a website or something.
> As for the automatic tranny question, didn't the Type III line have a full
> automatic available? Maybe you can find one from a donor Type III.

...............The frame horns on a type 1 are too close together for an auto
tranny from a type 3 or bus. But since he can't do the work himself and
wants a welded tube chassis, he should probably just go to a custom fab shop
and put down a $10k deposit and then be prepared to come up with at least
another $10k when they're further along in a few months(?). And that doesn't
even take into account the money for a Raby engine. If the original poster
has deep enough pockets, anything is possible. There are cars like the
Corvette, 911 & BMW M3 that probably are better suited for what he wants. A
three year old M3 would probably cost less than what he'd pay for a custom
built bug on a tubular chassis with a Raby engine.

Old November 19th 04, 03:58 PM
jjs

"Jeff Kleier" > wrote in message

> 4) What is the best soundproofing material
> available now?

Sealed-cell aircraft padding. It's available in 1/4" and 1" thicknesses.
(You can double-layer 1/4" to make 1/2", etc..) Great material. Far more
effective than the lead-like thin stuff. I used it in my hand-built car and
it's awesome.

> 6) About Type IV engines. I know that Raby's
> is the pace to go for the engine and trans-
> axle; they are all about the Type IVs!

Anyone can install the Type IV. No big deal. And Raby has an airconditioning
setup, too. Just ask him.

Old November 19th 04, 04:35 PM
John Willis

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 06:45:09 -0500, "Tim Rogers" >
scribbled this interesting note:

>"geoffers" > wrote in message
>news
>>
>> Wow! The majority of your questions, I can't answer. But, when you get
>> that project '65 done, you better show it off in a website or something.
>> As for the automatic tranny question, didn't the Type III line have a full
>> automatic available? Maybe you can find one from a donor Type III.
>>

>..............The frame horns on a type 1 are too close together for an auto
>tranny from a type 3 or bus. But since he can't do the work himself and
>wants a welded tube chassis, he should probably just go to a custom fab shop
>and put down a $10k deposit and then be prepared to come up with at least
>another $10k when they're further along in a few months(?). And that doesn't
>even take into account the money for a Raby engine. If the original poster
>has deep enough pockets, anything is possible. There are cars like the
>Corvette, 911 & BMW M3 that probably are better suited for what he wants. A
>three year old M3 would probably cost less than what he'd pay for a custom
>built bug on a tubular chassis with a Raby engine.

Probably? Sometimes you misspeak, Tim. That is a certainty. To build
the car specified, with all the "non-stock" modifications, would
probably be somewhere above thirty thousand dollars, possibly much,
much higher depending on the quality of the craftsmanship that goes
into building the silly thing.

A car like that is no longer a Beetle, it merely looks like one since
it has the body on it. You know, how a VW Golf also looks kind of like
a Beetle from some angles...oh, wait, that's called a New Beetle,
isn't it!

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Old November 19th 04, 05:44 PM
vwluvrs

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie....php?id=112235

seen these at Vw shows here on the left coast, look pretty good...
Old November 19th 04, 07:10 PM
Jeff Kleier

The 3rd question is for a friend of mine, nothing to do with my
modification questions at all.

Yes, I feel it would still be considered a Beetle. I've built full
restorations, full customs and almost everything in between. I was just
wanting the penultimate incarnation of the Beetle. I love the look of
German-Look Beetles, aka Kafer Cup cars. That is one thing I haven't
tried at all.

I don't think it would be that difficult to either recess or hide the
door hinges; just wanting it smooth down the sides of the car.

The goal would be having the look of a classic Beetle with modern
running gear. That's it.

And no, I don't consider New Beetles to be Beetles at all. Watercooled
front engine? I don't think so!

Once again, thanks for your help everyone.
After this is completed (probably by May), I will have pictures
available.

Questions, questions, questions Vernon Balbert BMW 15 January 16th 05 04:01 AM
Where to get Official Speed Limit Info [email protected] Driving 40 January 3rd 05 08:10 AM
First BMW - 318iS - few questions? Kevin Rhodes BMW 5 November 16th 04 11:02 PM
2001 740I(L) Questions FSJ BMW 3 October 6th 04 11:59 AM
Some more newbie questions Ypnos Alfa Romeo 7 June 23rd 04 10:35 AM