Common problems with Wheel Cylinders ?

Old July 3rd 05, 01:15 AM
Denny B

Default Common problems with Wheel Cylinders ?

What are the most common problems that can go wrong
with wheel cylinders. One of the problems I know is they
can leak, that way however you will know they leak because
there will be fluid loss. If there is no fluid loss, what are other
common problems to go wring with wheel cylinders.

Thanks in advance
Denny B

Old July 3rd 05, 05:40 AM
Kathy and Erich Coiner

They rust up and the piston will not move.
So that explains why one side of my rear brakes never wore.........

Erich
BTDT

news

Old July 3rd 05, 06:20 AM
jjjsan

They can get pitted by rust deposits and can leak when seals get to that
spot. Honing cyclinder can clean up surface pits. Seals can leak after
old age.
Most just replace the entire cyclinder assy.
Best to flush out and bleed old brake fluid once in awhile to keep the
moisture out of fluid.

Old July 3rd 05, 02:44 PM
Denny B

"jjjsan" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> They can get pitted by rust deposits and can leak when seals get to

that
> spot. Honing cyclinder can clean up surface pits. Seals can leak

after
> old age.
> Most just replace the entire cyclinder assy.
> Best to flush out and bleed old brake fluid once in awhile to keep

the
> moisture out of fluid.

I am tempted to replace the cylinders and really want to.
The only problem is I am not sure if I can undo the 2 bolts that
hold the cylinder to the backing plate, and also undo
the hydraulic line nut that attaches to the cylinder.
If I knew these were not rusted on, I would change the
cylinders in a flash. Bleeding the system is no problem.

Denny B

Old July 3rd 05, 02:52 PM
Nate Nagel

Denny B wrote:
> "jjjsan" > wrote in message
> lkaboutautos.com...
>
>>They can get pitted by rust deposits and can leak when seals get to

> that
>
>>spot. Honing cyclinder can clean up surface pits. Seals can leak

> after
>
>>old age.
>>Most just replace the entire cyclinder assy.
>>Best to flush out and bleed old brake fluid once in awhile to keep

> the
>
>>moisture out of fluid.

> I am tempted to replace the cylinders and really want to.
> The only problem is I am not sure if I can undo the 2 bolts that
> hold the cylinder to the backing plate, and also undo
> the hydraulic line nut that attaches to the cylinder.
> If I knew these were not rusted on, I would change the
> cylinders in a flash. Bleeding the system is no problem.
>
> Denny B

Try the hydraulic line; if that comes free there's no problem replacing
them (the bolts can be broken off and replaced.)

Alternately, you could rebuild in situ (hone and install new seals.)
However then you still will always be wondering if the hard line is OK.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old July 3rd 05, 06:58 PM
Kathy and Erich Coiner

Worst comes to worse, you can grind/ break the heads of the bolts off the
cylinder Then use new hardware with the new cylinder.

My trick for getting tubing nuts off is this.

First place a tubing wrench on the nut. Then take vise grips and close them
over the wrench.
The vise grips keep the wrench from flexing open as you bust the nut loose.
Use big enough vise grips and you can prevent rounding off the nut.

Erich

Old July 3rd 05, 09:34 PM
Denny B

"Kathy and Erich Coiner" > wrote in message
> Worst comes to worse, you can grind/ break the heads of the bolts

off the
> cylinder Then use new hardware with the new cylinder.
>
> My trick for getting tubing nuts off is this.
>
> First place a tubing wrench on the nut. Then take vise grips and

close them
> over the wrench.
> The vise grips keep the wrench from flexing open as you bust the nut

loose.
> Use big enough vise grips and you can prevent rounding off the nut.
>
> Erich
>
> "Denny B" > wrote in message

lkaboutautos.com...

Old July 3rd 05, 10:07 PM
Denny B

"Kathy and Erich Coiner" > wrote in message
> Worst comes to worse, you can grind/ break the heads of the bolts

off the
> cylinder Then use new hardware with the new cylinder.
>
> My trick for getting tubing nuts off is this.
>

> First place a tubing wrench on the nut. Then take vise grips and

close them
> over the wrench.
> The vise grips keep the wrench from flexing open as you bust the nut

loose.
> Use big enough vise grips and you can prevent rounding off the nut.
>
> Erich

Thanks for this above tip, using a vice grip over
a tubing wrench. It happened to me once where
I rounded a tubing nut and had a heck of a time
getting it off.
This vice grip method should prevent that
from haappening.

Denny B

Old July 3rd 05, 10:44 PM
Nate Nagel

Denny B wrote:
> "Kathy and Erich Coiner" > wrote in message
>
>>Worst comes to worse, you can grind/ break the heads of the bolts

> off the
>
>>cylinder Then use new hardware with the new cylinder.
>>
>>My trick for getting tubing nuts off is this.
>>

>>First place a tubing wrench on the nut. Then take vise grips and

> close them
>
>>over the wrench.
>>The vise grips keep the wrench from flexing open as you bust the nut

> loose.
>
>>Use big enough vise grips and you can prevent rounding off the nut.
>>
>>Erich

> Thanks for this above tip, using a vice grip over
> a tubing wrench. It happened to me once where
> I rounded a tubing nut and had a heck of a time
> getting it off.
> This vice grip method should prevent that
> from haappening.
>
> Denny B

It won't save every fitting but it does help. And I can tell you from
personal experience that flare nut wrenches do "spread."

nate