Brakes squeal!!!!

Old May 27th 05, 05:06 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Yes. Had squeal about 2-3 yr ago on my then fairly new Mercedes.

And I regularly hear squeals from other cars and commercial vehicles, and
here in UK our product mix is quite different (even if half or more of the
cars are made by GM and Ford).

DAS

---

"Steve" > wrote in message
[...]
> That's just an asinine comment. The braking systems used by Ford, GM, and
> Chrysler ALL come from the same set of vendors, mainly Kelsey-Hayes and
> Bendix. And many foreign car brake systems (especially Japanese) are
> virtually identical, even when built by other vendors. I've heard
> squealing brakes from every major brand of vehicle, its extremely common.

[...]

Old May 27th 05, 06:39 PM
Dan

I know the possibility exists that brakes can squeal when braking, but not
constantly at low speeds and even worse while turning corners.

Old May 27th 05, 07:47 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Sorry, didn't take in your post properly. Only on braking.

Still, I doubt that your reported squeal would be particular to any brand.

DAS

---

Old May 28th 05, 05:21 AM

Yes, today they are all MADE by a few companies, but notice the parts
are not necessarily interchangeable between systems built by one
company for different car manufacturers. There is the little thing
called design. It is controlled not by the brake manufacturer, but by
the auto manufacturer, who specifies how it is to be built.

Also, if you look back just a few years, GM used exclusively Delco
Moraine - which was a wholly owned GM subsidiary.Chrysler used almost
exclusively their own manufacture, with a good mix of Kelsey Hayes
thrown in in later years.AMC used Delco Moraine, Bendix, and
Bendix/Budd hybrids (bendix calipers and Budd rotors)
And any mechanic who lived through the eighties in North America KNOWS
Chrysler's reputation at the time for squealing brakes - whether you
worked for a Chrysler dealer or not.
Old May 28th 05, 03:18 PM
mic canic

did you clean and lube the caliper slides and keep the anti rattle clips in
place?
the rubber boot of the caliper is suppose to pull the pad away from the rotor
ever so slightly to help cut squeal

Old May 28th 05, 10:16 PM
Dan

All:

It turned out to be the shield rubbing the inside of the rotor. Bent it out
a little and the squeals are gone. did both front shields. As for the other
questions, yes, I did replace the expander (anti rattle) clips, yes, I did
re-lube the caliper pins, yes, I did put anti-squeal grease on them. The
only thing that resolved it was bending out the shield.

Thanks to ALL who gave me ideas to look at.
Dan

Old May 29th 05, 01:19 AM
Dan

Old May 29th 05, 03:53 AM

On Sat, 28 May 2005 10:18:53 -0400, mic canic > wrote:

>did you clean and lube the caliper slides and keep the anti rattle clips in
>place?
>the rubber boot of the caliper is suppose to pull the pad away from the rotor
>ever so slightly to help cut squeal

Actually it is the internal "O" ring that pulls the piston back, not
the outer boot on most calipers.

Old May 29th 05, 10:40 PM

On Sun, 29 May 2005 07:55:13 -0400, mic canic > wrote:

> thats not what chrysler taught me the oring seals the caliper

Yes, the "O" ring seals the caliper, but it also "bends" a but as the
piston slides though - and when the pressure is released, the "O" ring
straightens back out, pulling the piston back in just a smidge. This
gives the clearance. Take a good look at the boot, flex it around -
then try to push the piston back with your fingers. Note how little
resistance the boot gives to being deformed - and how much force it
takes to move the piston. Absolutely no way the boot could handle
pulling the caliper back.

Your instructor at Chryaler only taught you half of the story.

I've taught it too - and I've tried to get the whole story told.

wrote:

>> On Sat, 28 May 2005 10:18:53 -0400, mic canic > wrote:
>>
>> >did you clean and lube the caliper slides and keep the anti rattle clips in
>> >place?
>> >the rubber boot of the caliper is suppose to pull the pad away from the rotor
>> >ever so slightly to help cut squeal

>> Actually it is the internal "O" ring that pulls the piston back, not
>> the outer boot on most calipers.

Front brakes dragging, no rear pressure, all disc [email protected] Technology 6 April 25th 05 08:04 PM
Terrible Squeal Sandra Ries Saturn 10 March 15th 05 03:11 PM
97 Neon's brakes squeak and squeal T-Narg Dodge 2 September 29th 04 04:06 PM
Brakes Lock and Won't Let Go, 94 Grand Voyager - Help before they get me killed. Jim Ashburn Dodge 10 July 22nd 04 02:10 AM