Why did this fix work?

Old December 18th 04, 03:34 AM
nooobody

Default Why did this fix work?

One morning in the winter, several years ago when I lived in Ontario,
Canada, my Maza pickup truck would not start. The fix? Putting a
stronger anti-freeze solution into the cooling system. I know why it
worked. Can anyone guess the reason?

Old December 18th 04, 04:08 AM
Nate Nagel

nooobody wrote:

> One morning in the winter, several years ago when I lived in Ontario,
> Canada, my Maza pickup truck would not start. The fix? Putting a
> stronger anti-freeze solution into the cooling system. I know why it
> worked. Can anyone guess the reason?

Water in the cooling system was getting slushy and the drag on the water
pump was too much for the starter?

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old December 18th 04, 04:16 AM
Bob

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> nooobody wrote:
>
>> One morning in the winter, several years ago when I lived in Ontario,
>> Canada, my Maza pickup truck would not start. The fix? Putting a
>> stronger anti-freeze solution into the cooling system. I know why it
>> worked. Can anyone guess the reason?
>>

> Water in the cooling system was getting slushy and the drag on the water
> pump was too much for the starter?
>
> nate

That was my first thought, but if it was that slushy how'd he drain it
enough to replace any appreciable amount? Now I'm thinking his story is pure
BS.
Bob

Old December 18th 04, 04:35 AM

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 02:34:35 GMT, "nooobody" >
wrote:

>One morning in the winter, several years ago when I lived in Ontario,
>Canada, my Maza pickup truck would not start. The fix? Putting a
>stronger anti-freeze solution into the cooling system. I know why it
>worked. Can anyone guess the reason?

I think it was a coincidence. You cranked the battery, which caused
internal heat. You paused did your any freeze thing, might even
warmed up outside more, and when you cranked again the battery had a
little more juice to fire things up.

How's that for a guess....

later,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

Old December 18th 04, 07:39 AM
Burt Squareman

"nooobody" > wrote in message news:%GMwd.514261$Pl.269401@pd7tw1no...
> One morning in the winter, several years ago when I lived in Ontario,
> Canada, my Maza pickup truck would not start. The fix? Putting a
> stronger anti-freeze solution into the cooling system. I know why it
> worked. Can anyone guess the reason?

The stronger anti-freeze further drops the cold sensor readings.

Old December 18th 04, 02:05 PM
Al Bundy

TeGGer=AE wrote:
> Nate Nagel > floridly penned in
> :
>
> > nooobody wrote:
> >
> >> One morning in the winter, several years ago when I lived in

Ontario,
> >> Canada, my Maza pickup truck would not start. The fix? Putting a
> >> stronger anti-freeze solution into the cooling system. I know why

it
> >> worked. Can anyone guess the reason?
> >>

> > Water in the cooling system was getting slushy and the drag on the

water
> > pump was too much for the starter?
> >

> Unfortunately the OP provided no detail, so we can't even guess.

Don't you think he just put hot coolant in that cold engine and it
warmet it up enough?

Old December 18th 04, 05:52 PM
AZGuy

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 06:39:27 GMT, "Burt Squareman"
> wrote:

>"nooobody" > wrote in message news:%GMwd.514261$Pl.269401@pd7tw1no...
>> One morning in the winter, several years ago when I lived in Ontario,
>> Canada, my Maza pickup truck would not start. The fix? Putting a
>> stronger anti-freeze solution into the cooling system. I know why it
>> worked. Can anyone guess the reason?

>The stronger anti-freeze further drops the cold sensor readings.

Has someone developed a new law of physics???
--
Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the
establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . .
Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of
the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order
to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House
of Representatives, August 17, 1789
Old December 18th 04, 10:15 PM
nooobody

I wrote:
> One morning in the winter, several years ago when I lived in

Ontario,
> Canada, my Maza pickup truck would not start. The fix? Putting a
> stronger anti-freeze solution into the cooling system. I know why it
> worked. Can anyone guess the reason?

Further information:

The vehicle in question was an 82 Mazda B2000, so it did not have
fuel injection.

By "would not start" I meant it cranked fine but would not fire. The
anti-freeze I put in had been stored in an unheated garage, so was no
warmer than the coolant already in the engine. Outside air temp was
about 0 Fahrenheit. When I removed the rad cap to check the coolant
there was no sign of freezing, but its strength as measured with my
a-f checker showed it should be good to about 0 - 5 Fahrenheit.

The effect was immediate: it would not start - I drained some coolant
and put in anti-freeze - it started right away.

Here's a hint: The fuel system was not stock.

Old December 19th 04, 02:43 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004, nooobody wrote:

> in Ontario, Canada, my Maza pickup truck would not start. The fix?
> Putting a stronger anti-freeze solution into the cooling system. I
> know why it worked. Can anyone guess the reason?

I can guess: Mel Lastman caught wind of you going online with a handle
that mimicked his obnoxious "Nooooobody!" commercials and flamed you. Some
of the heat warmed up your POS Mazda and it started.

Best Home Base Work Reynard 4x4 0 November 10th 04 03:27 AM
Best Home Base Work Reynard General 0 November 9th 04 09:59 PM
Best Home Base Work Reynard Antique cars 0 November 9th 04 05:36 PM
ASE Work experience question thongsai General 0 July 9th 04 11:16 PM
96 Ford Contour Zetec engine - hard to work on? john smith General 0 March 16th 04 12:23 PM