99 vw loss of power...tried everything...please help

Old August 20th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
andrea

Default 99 vw loss of power...tried everything...please help

I have a 99 vw gasolined powered gof that has an intermittent misfire,
hesitaition, loss of power problem. It has pretty much always misfired
but my main concern is the new (past 6 months) hesitiation/loss of
power. It will completely die unexpectedly and then after a few
seconds to a few minutes, it will restart. You can floor it and the
tach barely moves and then it may suddenly grab and you're off! The
problem is beginning to get much worse. Here is a list of what has
already been done:

New:
MAS
Gas Filter
Catalytic convertor
throttle plate
wires, plugs, cap, rotor
coil

The vacuum lines, fuel pump pressure, and regulator have all checked
out alright. The gas tank was drained and is clean. The fuel injector
lines have been cleaned twice.
I wanted to change relay 109 untl I realized that that was only for
diesels (I think)
and now want to change the relay for the fuel pump (#409) but I don't
know where it's located (it's not in the panel)
Most of the time the problem happens when the gas level is below half a
tank and it will even repeatedly hesitiate going up a steep hill when
it's below half a tank but not when full.

Any thoughts/suggestions...if yousolve it I will take you out to
dinner...as long as you're not a jerk!!!!! Thanks. Andrea

Old August 21st 06, 05:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
One out of many Daves

Default 99 vw GOLF loss of power...tried everything...please help

Which engine in this 99 Golf? Sounds like a 2.0, but am not sure even if
this is a US model or what. I would ASSuME that since it is comcast that it
is a US model. ;-)

How many fuel pumps does your 99 Golf have? 2?
I would suspect a problem with the transfer pump in the fuel tank, if so
equipped.

Possibly a ruptured Fuel Pressure Regulator that might allow gas to travel
through vacuum hoses into the intake.

also did you ever get an Engine Check Light?
Have you tried to hook up a ross-tech.com vag-com tool to the ECM to see
what was happening?
--
later,
dave

ups.com...

Old August 22nd 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
andrea

Hi Dave,

I am so psyched that you wrote back. Yes it is the 2.0 and the car
only has one fuel pump. My mechanic checked the fuel pressure and the
fuel regulator twice and they both checked out alright. He also
thought/stated that if the fuel pump was starting to fail, it wouldn't
be able to put out the pressure. Wouldn't that take care of the
ruptured fuel regulator?

Also I have gotten a check engine light...twice....not when it loses
power and dies on the side of the road but twice when I let it idle for
long periods of time with the AC on high and it stalled, which did not
make my mechanic very happy! However, after all the times when I have
let it idle like this is when it will then lose power a short time
later. This is in addition to losing power on a number of others
times when I am just driving "normal." In any case, both times when I
got a code they were misfires, once in cylinder one, the other a random
misfire. Today I have removed the gas cap thinking maybe there is some
kind of clog, etc..in the Evaporative Emissions Control system. Seems
to be a little better but it is hard to tell since the problem is so
intermittent.

I have not tied to connect anything to the ECM yet. Can you tell me
more about it? I will also check it out online.

Thanks a lot. I appreciate your help.

Andrea

Old August 22nd 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
andrea

Hi again Dave,

Is/isn't the computer my mechanic put on the car comparable to the the
one you suggested? Yes?? No??

Andrea

Old August 22nd 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
andrea

Old August 22nd 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
One out of many daves

Hmmm so he says that there is no fuel pump, or fuel delivery system, in the
fuel tank? I am definitely not sure on this.
Maybe that is the main fuel pump for your vehicle.

I have seen a lot of crud in fuel tanks that only clog the pickup strainer
after running for awhile. Then of course when the engine stalls the vacuum
that is created by the fuel pump drops to "0" and the crud falls back to the
bottom of the tank. Then you can start the engine again and start this
cycle all over again.

And like you said you removed the gas cap and it seemed better. Maybe there
is a vacuum created inside of the gas tank that might cause a reduction in
fuel pump pressure.

Fuel pumps need to create not only pressure but also volume. The ruptured
fuel pressure regulator would probably only cause a very slight drop in fuel
pressure. It is usally discovered when the vacuum lines to it are examined
with the engine running. Of course some signs will be an engine that is
idling rough, bad mileage, etc.

Hmmm since you said that your cap was replaced then I will assume that your
'99 still has an ignition coil (transformer). That might be your problem
and I only recommend purchasing them from the dealer. I have had problems
with aftermarket brands.

good luck!
--
later,
dave

ups.com...

Old August 22nd 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
One out of many daves

what is he using?
some are only basically code readers and can read or erase DTCs (faults) and
probably can't read info like a ross-tech.com tool.

ups.com...

Old August 24th 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
andrea

Hi Dave,

He didn't say there wasn't one, he said that it checked out okay.
According to my "research" there is just one fuel pump, the one in the
tank. I had the gas cap off for two days but unfortunately that did
not cure the problem, it came back repeatedly. The fuel tank was
drained and there was no crud in it, it was clean. The coil was just
recently replaced, and that did not cure the problem either. It has
died 13 times in the last 6 days. Usually I can restart it after a
minute or so, but the other day I had to wait 20 minutes until it was
willing to restart. That's when I took the cap off but since then it's
continued to die. I thought it all had something to do with the AC
beng on high since that is when it struggles the most, except today I
kept them completely off to "check out" if it would die. Unfortunately
it did. I am very, very, very frustrated!! What about the possibility
that is is a wiring harnes? Thanks for all your help.

Andrea

Old August 24th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
andrea

Or what about a starter relay???????

Old August 24th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
One out of many Daves

was that a vw dealer ignition coil (transformer) or aftermarket. That might
be your problem if it was an aftermarket!
I only recommend purchasing them from the dealer. I have had problems
with aftermarket brands.
Of course I only recommend BOSCH distributor rotors also.
Both of those things above could give you problems that you are
experiencing.

oups.com...