Changing the bulb in the tail light

Old May 5th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Changing the bulb in the tail light

I had a brake light bulb burn out in my 2001 Miata. I have been trying to remove the tail light assembly without success. I removed the trunk inside trim and unbolted the two 10mm nuts and screw at the top of the assembly and the rubber wire gasket. The assembly is loose but will not come out. Knowing what the assembly costs, I don't want to just start banging and prying to force it out.

Any suggestions? Am I missing something in the process?

By the way, the manual does not list the bulb number. Is this bulb some sort of Miata only light?

Thanks for any and all help.
Old May 6th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Tom, I just removed the tail light assy's on my 2003 and they are the
same.

Look inside where the studs are that the nuts came off from. On the
indoard side, just below the stud there is a black plastic pin. On the
outboard side just out from the stud, is a white plastic pin. The
indoard one is a real guide pin. The outboard one is a socket thata pin
fits into.

Pad the body well and use 2 screw drivers to work the light assy. out of
the locations. (it will help a little to tap on the studs too. Put the
nuts back on the end so you don't damage the studs! ) The white pin is
the hard one. Once you get one of them off, you will see how it works.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old May 6th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Thanks Bruce, I plan to work on it today. More later.

Old May 7th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Bruce,

Thanks for the help. It was that white plactic pin that was the hang up.
You were right, once the assembly was off the whole thing was clear. I'm
suprised that there wasn't anything on Miata.net about this procedure or the
bulb number.

I'm still looking for a replacement bulb. However, it was a little late on
Saturday when I started. I will find a auto parts store open tomorrow and
be back in business,

Thanks again.

Tom

. com...

Old May 7th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Glad I could help Tom.

There is a mention of this in the Miata.net, but it is part of the onfo
on how to make the rear reflectors into a lighted unit. (You need to
remove the unit to wire in the new lamp holder) :-) That's how I found
it. I just did that to my 2003.

Bruce Bing '03 LE

Old May 7th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I didn't find that listing on Miata.net. However, I am tempted to write one
called, "How Many Miata Owners Does It Take to Change a Tail Light?"

Thanks again.

2003 Tail Light Bulb Desmond Dodge 4 April 8th 06 03:38 PM
Mopar Oil Filter Number(s) do not spam Chrysler 3 January 7th 06 01:18 PM
electrically stupid BDragon Corvette 32 February 6th 05 08:14 AM
Changing rear light bulb [email protected] Audi 1 September 17th 04 08:29 PM
Changing rear light bulb Joanne Leeman Audi 1 September 17th 04 02:39 AM