Water Pump Rebuild Kit for 289

Old June 24th 05, 06:50 AM
Fred of AZ

Default Water Pump Rebuild Kit for 289

Hi:

I've got a 65 2+2 with the aluminum water pump. I've searched around,
but have been unable to find a rebuild kit for this particular pump,
or instructions on how to take it apart and replace the seals, etc. I
have already replaced with a rebuilt pump since it was leaking, but
was not asked for the core. I'd like to be able to rebuild it and
have it as a future replacement.

Any information would be helpful. After all, where do AutoZone,
Checker, PepBoys, etc, send the cores to be rebuilt?

Fred of AZ
Old June 24th 05, 08:05 AM
Jim Warman

Any rebuild parts for a water pump would be a rare find. There are several
rebuild operations currently working. Other operations have decided that
there were no usable cores being returned.... in order to reduce costs, they
have forgone the added paperwork of processing useless cores.and started
selling new units.

Of you do run across those parts you need, be prepared to have a press and
some specialzed support tools on hand.

just my humble opinion.

Old June 24th 05, 11:35 AM
Kruse

Fred of AZ wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I've got a 65 2+2 with the aluminum water pump. I've searched around,
> but have been unable to find a rebuild kit for this particular pump,
> or instructions on how to take it apart and replace the seals, etc. I
> have already replaced with a rebuilt pump since it was leaking, but
> was not asked for the core. I'd like to be able to rebuild it and
> have it as a future replacement.
>
> Any information would be helpful. After all, where do AutoZone,
> Checker, PepBoys, etc, send the cores to be rebuilt?
>
> Fred of AZ

Years ago I worked at a job where we had to rebuild some water pumps.
As Jim said, you need a stationary air/hydraulic press to disassemble
and assemble these pumps. Probably the tricky part is to find the
rebuild kits for a water pump. If you could find a source, you might be
able to rebuild it.
Seems like nobody is asking for the core anymore because it's cheaper
to get a complete new unit (the metal is prolly cast in China) than it
is to truck the core back to the factory.
I think you'd be better off buying an aluminum water pump from a
Mustang specialty shop than to have your core lying around waiting for
it to be reused, but whatever.
I recently ran into a Dodge starter where no core was needed. So I
guess they are manufacturing the whole new starter cheaper than sending
the core back to the factory to be rebuilt.

Old June 24th 05, 04:46 PM
Big Al

"Fred of AZ" > wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> I've got a 65 2+2 with the aluminum water pump. I've searched around,
> but have been unable to find a rebuild kit for this particular pump,
> or instructions on how to take it apart and replace the seals, etc. I
> have already replaced with a rebuilt pump since it was leaking, but
> was not asked for the core. I'd like to be able to rebuild it and
> have it as a future replacement.
>
> Any information would be helpful. After all, where do AutoZone,
> Checker, PepBoys, etc, send the cores to be rebuilt?
>
> Fred of AZ

Fred,

Years ago you could buy these kits at most auto parts stores. It was just a
long bearing with a shaft sticking out both ends. You pulled the flange that
the pulley and blade mount to off, and push the complete assembly out the
back. Then you pressed off the impeller and put it all back together. You
had the measure how far the hub was on and put it back in the same place.
They were popular in the 60's. Did you try an authorized Ford rebuilder?
They sold parts years ago.

Al

Old June 27th 05, 12:43 AM
Fred of AZ

Al, and others:

Thanks for the info...looks like it would be best just to trash the
old water pump and get another rebuilt/new unit when it becomes
necessary. It's funny how I can't find a rebuild kit for this
particular pump, but there are kits out there for Model A and Model T
Fords, flathead engines, tractors, etc. Could be that there is no
market for water pumps of that type, so owner are required to rebuild
their own units.

Fred of AZ

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:46:32 -0700, "Big Al" >
wrote:

.. .

Old June 28th 05, 11:49 PM
Big Al

"Fred of AZ" > wrote in message
news
> Al, and others:
>
> Thanks for the info...looks like it would be best just to trash the
> old water pump and get another rebuilt/new unit when it becomes
> necessary. It's funny how I can't find a rebuild kit for this
> particular pump, but there are kits out there for Model A and Model T
> Fords, flathead engines, tractors, etc. Could be that there is no
> market for water pumps of that type, so owner are required to rebuild
> their own units.
>
> Fred of AZ

Did a search and found kits for "Y" block Fords

What is an average person capable of doing? Where would they get a press or
the required pullers? We are getting to the point where we can't even change
our shoe laces. And the new cars are getting impossible to work on. Just
look at what's under the hood now. You have to remove intake manifolds to
replace spark plugs, or to replace a valve cover gasket. On some cars it's a
job just to replace the oil filter or check the transmission fluid. Why are
we letting this happen? The manufactures can sell us anything they dream up
and we get to try to live with it.

Al