Difference between '98 and '00 Explorers

Old June 23rd 05, 05:53 PM
Simon H

Default Difference between '98 and '00 Explorers

I have just traded in my '98 Ex for a '00 Ex. The '00 is a UK spec 'North
Face' which I believe to be the nearest equvalent spec to the EB in other
markets. Anyway, apart from the obvious styling and trim differences I was
wondering if the '00 is higher geared? It seems to be slightly better on
gas mileage and maybe a little 'sluggish' in the acceleration department
compared to the '98.
Did they change the ratios? Or mess with the engine management? Or am I
deluding myself?

TIA
Simon H

Old June 23rd 05, 06:37 PM
Simon H

Forgot to mention, we only get 4X4 4.0 SOHC models over here...

Simon H

Old June 23rd 05, 07:03 PM
Al Williams

IIRC, they made some engine management changes to improve fuel economy and
emissions but nothing major. Assuming as well that you have the same 5
speed auto tranny. It wasn't til 2002 that they did a major overhaul with
the new suspension and such.

--
Allan Williams

Old June 23rd 05, 07:40 PM
Simon H

"Al Williams" > wrote in message
> IIRC, they made some engine management changes to improve fuel economy and
> emissions but nothing major. Assuming as well that you have the same 5
> speed auto tranny. It wasn't til 2002 that they did a major overhaul with
> the new suspension and such.
>
> --
> Allan Williams

Yes, it's the 5 speed auto tranny (it's the option we ever got in the UK).
One thing that I've noticed is that the '00 seems a bit reluctant to 'kick
down' when a quick burst of acceleration is required. I will have a fairly
heavy towing job in a few weeks for further comparison with the '98.

Simon H