Intake Adapter; Intake sytem.

Old August 14th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
John P.[_1_]

Default Intake Adapter; Intake sytem.

Hello, Have a 2001 Crown Victoria police(my duty car for paramedic).
The intake box is cracked and unusable, so i am in the market for a
cheap replacment, and maybe gain a little performance. I have seen 300
dollar cold air intake's, and 30 dollar intake adapters with cone air
filter off ebay. Which is the best one for me, and what are the
benfits of having either? Most of all which one would you suggest? I am
very handy with cars, so installation wont be a problem. Thanks for any
advice and guidance.
-John

Old August 14th 06, 06:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
sdlomi2[_1_]

"John P." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello, Have a 2001 Crown Victoria police(my duty car for paramedic).
> The intake box is cracked and unusable, so i am in the market for a
> cheap replacment, and maybe gain a little performance. I have seen 300
> dollar cold air intake's, and 30 dollar intake adapters with cone air
> filter off ebay. Which is the best one for me, and what are the
> benfits of having either? Most of all which one would you suggest? I am
> very handy with cars, so installation wont be a problem. Thanks for any
> advice and guidance.
> -John

John, I've read a lot about those aftermarket cold-air breathers, I call
them. It seems the ONLY car I saw a claimed improvement on was on a Jeep
product, like maybe a Cherokee of some model. Supposed-to-be unbiased tests
have been quite negative on many claims--some actually depicting them as
allowing more dirt through and NOT helping fuel mileage at all.
I decided against putting one on my personal pickup, based on Google
searches. The one I was esp. curious and inquiring about was the K & N.
I'd suggest, to be fair to the mfg., that you do a similar Google search &
then decide based on what you find. HTH & good luck, S.

Old August 14th 06, 07:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don[_1_]

On 13 Aug 2006 20:20:20 -0700, "John P." > wrote:

>Hello, Have a 2001 Crown Victoria police(my duty car for paramedic).
>The intake box is cracked and unusable, so i am in the market for a
>cheap replacment, and maybe gain a little performance. I have seen 300
>dollar cold air intake's, and 30 dollar intake adapters with cone air
>filter off ebay. Which is the best one for me, and what are the
>benfits of having either? Most of all which one would you suggest?

Good used stock unit from a salvage yard.

Don
www.donsautomotive.com

Old August 17th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul[_3_]

The short Air filters draw in power robbing engine heat, but look cool
doing it. For maximum power, get all the cold air flowing any way you
can. Check with someone that knows Ford FI for MAPP sensor info