95 3.5 Intrepid timing belt water pump done

Old March 7th 05, 12:52 AM
TF

Default 95 3.5 Intrepid timing belt water pump done

Thanks for the advice-
Replaced water pump - $50.00 New Made in Japan
Replaced tensioner pulley only- $36.00 China, able to replcae after
tensioner pin is out and you DO NOT need to remove crank damper to do this.
Belt- $50.00 USA I do not agree with not removing crank damper/ you can get
the old belt off but you will have a real tough time putting the new one on
w/o damaging it (tried to put old one on for fun, no way).
Needed to get (borrow) Snap On pulley puller with insert . (special tool,
regular puller will not work w/o insert either).
3rd pump and belt. Dealer did last job and they were off on the passenger
cam side by one tooth!!!. Put back between dots runs great.
After warm up panic! loud scraping from timing cover.. Pull belts and sneak
a look and noted the water pump pulley was rubbing on cover... bent out a
little no problem.....TIGHT clearance obviously....Pump solid..Had to bleed
coolant system every time, seems to be an issue with the 3.5.

178,000 miles 3.5 has been overheated a few times and is rock solid with
excellent power. I really like this engine but the tranny's suck....#3.

Tom

Old March 7th 05, 01:49 AM
maxpower

"TF" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the advice-
> Replaced water pump - $50.00 New Made in Japan
> Replaced tensioner pulley only- $36.00 China, able to replcae after
> tensioner pin is out and you DO NOT need to remove crank damper to do

this.
> Belt- $50.00 USA I do not agree with not removing crank damper/ you can

get
> the old belt off but you will have a real tough time putting the new one

on
> w/o damaging it (tried to put old one on for fun, no way).
> Needed to get (borrow) Snap On pulley puller with insert . (special tool,
> regular puller will not work w/o insert either).
> 3rd pump and belt. Dealer did last job and they were off on the passenger
> cam side by one tooth!!!. Put back between dots runs great.
> After warm up panic! loud scraping from timing cover.. Pull belts and

sneak
> a look and noted the water pump pulley was rubbing on cover... bent out a
> little no problem.....TIGHT clearance obviously....Pump solid..Had to

bleed
> coolant system every time, seems to be an issue with the 3.5.
>
> 178,000 miles 3.5 has been overheated a few times and is rock solid with
> excellent power. I really like this engine but the tranny's suck....#3.
>
> Tom

There is a trick to walking the belt on without removing the crank pulley,
it goes right on with out any damage. Just another trick of the trade, but
anyway glad you are back and running.... sounds like your ready to to an
engine overhaul next!!

Old March 7th 05, 02:26 PM
TF

"maxpower" > wrote in message

> "TF" > wrote in message
>> Thanks for the advice-
>> Replaced water pump - $50.00 New Made in Japan
>> Replaced tensioner pulley only- $36.00 China, able to replcae after
>> tensioner pin is out and you DO NOT need to remove crank damper to do

> this.
>> Belt- $50.00 USA I do not agree with not removing crank damper/ you can

> get
>> the old belt off but you will have a real tough time putting the new one

> on
>> w/o damaging it (tried to put old one on for fun, no way).
>> Needed to get (borrow) Snap On pulley puller with insert . (special tool,
>> regular puller will not work w/o insert either).
>> 3rd pump and belt. Dealer did last job and they were off on the passenger
>> cam side by one tooth!!!. Put back between dots runs great.
>> After warm up panic! loud scraping from timing cover.. Pull belts and

> sneak
>> a look and noted the water pump pulley was rubbing on cover... bent out a
>> little no problem.....TIGHT clearance obviously....Pump solid..Had to

> bleed
>> coolant system every time, seems to be an issue with the 3.5.
>>
>> 178,000 miles 3.5 has been overheated a few times and is rock solid with
>> excellent power. I really like this engine but the tranny's suck....#3.
>>
>> Tom

> There is a trick to walking the belt on without removing the crank pulley,
> it goes right on with out any damage. Just another trick of the trade, but
> anyway glad you are back and running.... sounds like your ready to to an
> engine overhaul next!!
>>

> Kids college car-- if something major goes wrong, thats it (maybe)....

I tell my boy when he gets a good job it is time tobuy parents a
Crossfire...

Tom