Copy of email to [email protected]

Old March 3rd 05, 10:38 PM
Adrian

Jeff Strickland ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

> Good luck with this. You are on your own.
>
> Your car was manufactured in 1996, so it must be a 1997 model, or I
> suppose it could be a late model '96. Given we are in '05 now, this
> makes the car 9 years old, give or take a few months. I would expect a
> long list of rubber and plastic parts are looking at replacement now
> or soon.

Oh, do me a favour! Nine years and 65k miles is a LONG way from being
ancient. The stuff the OP mentioned - drive belts, wipers etc are service
items.

Still, what can we expect from a top poster who seems to be allergic to
snipping posts?
Old March 3rd 05, 10:40 PM
Andy Turner

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 20:13:52 -0000, "Julian Edge"
> wrote:

>Sirs
>
>I am writing to you to explain the reasons behind my bitter disappointment
>with BMW.
>
>In April 2001, I purchased an 'Approved' 318i from a dealership near High
>Wycombe.
>
>The vehicle was originally manufactured in 1996 and was clearly well cared
>for, having a full service history with the dealer and so I thought that it
>would be prudent to continue this arrangement.

So it's nearly 10 years old and needs £2,000 of work. Isn't that not
exactly a shock? Have you tried taking the list of faults elsewhere
and seeing how much they charge to fix those faults?

>I will continue to drive my beautiful 318i for as long as I can.

Sell it, get another car. Just how beautiful can a 9-year old 318 be?

andyt

Old March 3rd 05, 10:42 PM
Andrew Thomas

Adrian wrote:

> > <LOL!> Bin there! I'd rather have the Beamer ;0

> Bin there. Two E36s, a 155 and a 75. Sorry, Munich. I'm in Milan.

Hmm. The large, international community (for this is also cross-posted
to alt.autos.bmw) which will read this may not have a clue what you are
referring to - since Alfas are only actually sold in markets where
folks develop hopeless attachments to slipshod manufacturing technology
and comedy rust-proofing. And as Alfa Romeo has never actually been
capable of profitably building a world-class car, I don't see this
changing any time soon.

Note to everyone else: "155" and "75" are four-door Alfa Romeos. You
didn't miss much.

Old March 3rd 05, 10:43 PM
SteveH

Alex Buell > wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 20:13:52 -0000, "Julian Edge"
> > wrote:
>
> >A 'phone call from the dealer informed me that the inspection had been
> >paused, since the engineer had discovered problems requiring immediate
> >attention, incurring a cost of approximately £2,000.00! (Please understand
> >that all previous services have been carried out at a cost of between
> >£300.00 and £500.00.)

> I'm shocked it was that much for a car that's only done 65,000 miles,
> and now you're writing it off. I'm due to pay £1,309 for my latest
> service plus MOT and repairs on my Audi 2.6 V6 cabriolet, and she's
> done 187,000 miles.

It's a BMW.

HTH.
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - VW Passat 1.8T 20V SE - COSOC KOTL
Old March 3rd 05, 10:43 PM
Julian Edge

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

> Good luck with this. You are on your own.

Ah, no longer. Thanks, newsnet!

> Your car was manufactured in 1996, so it must be a 1997 model, or I
> suppose
> it could be a late model '96. Given we are in '05 now, this makes the car
> 9
> years old, give or take a few months. I would expect a long list of rubber
> and plastic parts are looking at replacement now or soon.

Indeed, sir. As I said, I love the car, it's just the attitude / staff / je
ne sais quoi / whatever / dare I say principle?

Besides, most of the rubber and plastic bits have been replaced several
times in the last few years, along with the head gasket and the rear
suspension arms. I've never been 'shocked' until now.

And fair play, the car has *never* let me down, which is more than I can say
for my old Alpha.

Old March 3rd 05, 10:45 PM
Julian Edge

"Screamingwitch©®²°°¾" > wrote in
message

Hiya gorgeous!

> mejulies out!

Strictly a 'one-off', mate.

Old March 3rd 05, 10:49 PM
Julian Edge

"Alex Buell" > wrote in message

>I'm shocked it was that much for a car that's only done 65,000 m

Shocked? 'Shat' springs to mind!

> and now you're writing it off.

I'm not. They wanted £2K for the service, the man told me the car is worth
£2K (with the service)

> I'm due to pay £1,309 for my latest

Alex, shpx bss mate. You would probably have sex with your Audi if you
thought Mike Corley wasn't watching.

Old March 3rd 05, 10:50 PM
Grunff

Julian Edge wrote:

> A 'phone call from the dealer informed me that the inspection had been
> paused, since the engineer had discovered problems requiring immediate
> attention, incurring a cost of approximately £2,000.00! (Please understand
> that all previous services have been carried out at a cost of between
> £300.00 and £500.00.)

ROFL. You're having a 9 year old base model worth £1500-£2000 tops
serviced by a main dealer. Priceless.

--
Grunff
Old March 3rd 05, 10:50 PM
SteveH

Andrew Thomas > wrote:

> Adrian wrote:
>
> > > <LOL!> Bin there! I'd rather have the Beamer ;0

> > Bin there. Two E36s, a 155 and a 75. Sorry, Munich. I'm in Milan.

> Hmm. The large, international community (for this is also cross-posted
> to alt.autos.bmw) which will read this may not have a clue what you are
> referring to - since Alfas are only actually sold in markets where
> folks develop hopeless attachments to slipshod manufacturing technology
> and comedy rust-proofing. And as Alfa Romeo has never actually been
> capable of profitably building a world-class car, I don't see this
> changing any time soon.

<yawn>

World beaters:

AlfaSud
Bertone GTV
Alfetta GTV
Spider
156
147
166
Montreal

Do I need to go on?

Rust problems were solved around 1990, which is why my 75 and 155 are
both less rusty than my brother's 1992 3-series.

> Note to everyone else: "155" and "75" are four-door Alfa Romeos. You
> didn't miss much.

You just caught sight of a blur as the 75 flew past your Bavarian ****e
on a twisty road.
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - VW Passat 1.8T 20V SE - COSOC KOTL