What to get... 2005 Chev Impala or Pontiac Grand Prix ???

Old February 3rd 05, 04:32 AM
jetsguy

Default What to get... 2005 Chev Impala or Pontiac Grand Prix ???

Greetings,

I have the opportunity of ordering either a 2005 Chev Impala or a 2005
Pontiac Grand Prix as a company vehicle.

Done some reading and appears they both have similar performance
ratings with main differences being Impala is more roomy/practicle but
is somewhat of (as my wife says) an old fart kind of car. The Grand
Prix on the other hand is sportier but seems to lack headroom and rear
seating room.

Anyone that owns one or even has an opinion that can offer me some
feedback (good or bad) would be appreciated and help me out with my
decision.

Thanks!!

Old February 3rd 05, 04:47 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, jetsguy wrote:

> I have the opportunity of ordering either a 2005 Chev Impala or a 2005
> Pontiac Grand Prix as a company vehicle. Done some reading and appears
> they both have similar performance ratings with main differences being
> Impala is more roomy/practicle but is somewhat of (as my wife says) an
> old fart kind of car. The Grand Prix on the other hand is sportier

If the company-car discount offsets the costs and inconveniences of owning
a GM vehicle, then proceed. Just be sure to factor in ALL the costs, not
just the upfront ones.

There is no difference in quality or reliability between a Pontiac, a
Buick, a Chevrolet, etc. They all use corporate parts and systems. The
last time GM's different-brand cars were truly different at more than a
superficial, cosmetic level was twenty-nine years ago.

The current crop of new offerings is yet another fleet of McRent-a-cars
from GM. More-or-less adequate, but abjectly mediocre by virtually every
measure. (And getting worse: the 3.4 litre V6 engine has been an
unreliable turd for years, and now it's being manufactured in
*China* for use in the Equinox.)

GM has some very talented and dedicated engineers in their employ, but
their best work gets beancountered, focus-grouped and committee-thinked to
death and therefore never sees the light of day; GM's products
occasionally show a dim spark of innovation but quickly and consistently
regress to a mediocre average. You can maintain them and pray and
everything, but they'll remain a mediocre average at best. A perfect
example is the GM 5-cylinder minivans (e.g. Trailblazer). The engine
itself is a beautiful piece of work, but the vehicle in which it's
installed is fall-apart garbage.

The cops up here use the Impala and it seems to hold up OK for them.

Old February 4th 05, 12:53 AM
Roger Maxwell

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, jetsguy wrote:
>
>> I have the opportunity of ordering either a 2005 Chev Impala or a 2005
>> Pontiac Grand Prix as a company vehicle. Done some reading and appears
>> they both have similar performance ratings with main differences being
>> Impala is more roomy/practicle but is somewhat of (as my wife says) an
>> old fart kind of car. The Grand Prix on the other hand is sportier

> If the company-car discount offsets the costs and inconveniences of owning
> a GM vehicle, then proceed. Just be sure to factor in ALL the costs, not
> just the upfront ones.
>
> There is no difference in quality or reliability between a Pontiac, a
> Buick, a Chevrolet, etc. They all use corporate parts and systems. The

There are similarities in powertrains and chassis. There are fewer
similarities in interior controls/materials and body panels. Consider the
material quality, control feel, and body panel alignment between a Chevrolet
Cobalt and a Buick LaCrosse. Quite a difference despite both being
manufactured by GM.

> last time GM's different-brand cars were truly different at more than a
> superficial, cosmetic level was twenty-nine years ago.
>
> The current crop of new offerings is yet another fleet of McRent-a-cars
> from GM. More-or-less adequate, but abjectly mediocre by virtually every
> measure. (And getting worse: the 3.4 litre V6 engine has been an
> unreliable turd for years, and now it's being manufactured in
> *China* for use in the Equinox.)
>
> GM has some very talented and dedicated engineers in their employ, but
> their best work gets beancountered, focus-grouped and committee-thinked to
> death and therefore never sees the light of day; GM's products
> occasionally show a dim spark of innovation but quickly and consistently
> regress to a mediocre average. You can maintain them and pray and
> everything, but they'll remain a mediocre average at best. A perfect
> example is the GM 5-cylinder minivans (e.g. Trailblazer). The engine
> itself is a beautiful piece of work, but the vehicle in which it's
> installed is fall-apart garbage.

The engine I believe you are referring to is the 4.2L Inline-6. It's not a
5-cylinder. GM currently only has one 5-cylinder engine (based on the 4.2L
I-6) which is used in their midsize Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon
trucks. The Trailblazer is a sport utility vehicle, not a minivan.

> The cops up here use the Impala and it seems to hold up OK for them.

Concerning the original poster's question, I would recommend the Grand Prix
as a personal vehicle, but the Impala as a more practical company vehicle.
However, I would suggest ordering the Impala with the 3.8L V-6 instead of
the base 3.4L V-6. There is a noticeable improvement in power, plus the 3.8
has proven more reliable (despite a period of intake manifold leaks related
to the plastic intake) overall than the 3.4 (very good chance of intake
manifold gasket failure). There is indeed more interior room in the Impala,
particularly in the rear seating and trunk areas.

~Roger

Old February 4th 05, 01:48 AM
Steve m...

I've got a 04' Grand Prix company car. It's currently got 45k miles on it.
Runs like a top and a great sporty car (from a company who offers them) is a
great thing for a guy in his middling 40's (lol). It's only got 200hp but
it runs great. They gear it well for off the line speed and it's fun to
drive as a result. The ride itself is kinda bumpy on the highway expansion
joints (consumers report mentioned that and they are correct). But, it's
fun to drive. Mine has the GT 2 package and it has just the right rumble of
the exhaust. Our company car choices for the Impala were only for the 3.4
engine. Like Daniel says it's junk. I wouldn't want it in anything even a
company car. It's very underpowered and for that reason alone I wouldn't
get it. They didn't offer us the 3.8 in it. Mine has had only 1 problem
with it that I had to get fixed. The left tierod end wore out (probably
from a big hit on a pothole last winter the service writer said.. and I do
remember hitting a big one too on the parkway here). The tires lasted till
36k on it which wasn't bad for the standard Goodyears. I rotated them every
6k so that helped it. Otherwise it's been trouble free. The most annoying
problem I have with it is when I take it in for service and they fill the
tires with air (to spec) and then about 2k miles later the tire sensor kicks
off in the car and I got to reset it till the next time after they do it
again. Otherwise nothing else has problems. Good car. Get one you won't
be unhappy. Did I say how much fun it is to drive ? lol...

Steve m...

oups.com...

Old February 4th 05, 04:16 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, Steve m... wrote:

> Our company car choices for the Impala were only for the 3.4 engine.
> Like Daniel says it's junk. I wouldn't want it in anything even a
> company car. It's very underpowered and for that reason alone I
> wouldn't get it. They didn't offer us the 3.8 in it.

Yeah, definitely if it comes down to "It's gonna be one of these cars or
the other" and you can get only one of them with the 3.8, GET THAT ONE.

Old February 4th 05, 04:18 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Roger Maxwell wrote:

> > There is no difference in quality or reliability between a Pontiac, a
> > Buick, a Chevrolet, etc. They all use corporate parts and systems. The

> There are similarities in powertrains and chassis. There are fewer
> similarities in interior controls/materials and body panels. Consider
> the material quality, control feel, and body panel alignment between a
> Chevrolet Cobalt and a Buick LaCrosse. Quite a difference despite both
> being manufactured by GM.

You're missing the point. There's no difference between *ANALOGOUS MODELS*
with different nameplates. Cavalier/Sunfire, for instance.

> > A perfect example is the GM 5-cylinder minivans (e.g. Trailblazer).
> > The engine itself is a beautiful piece of work, but the vehicle in
> > which it's installed is fall-apart garbage.

> The engine I believe you are referring to is the 4.2L Inline-6.

No, I am referring to the 5-cylinder.

> 5-cylinder. GM currently only has one 5-cylinder engine (based on the 4.2L
> I-6) which is used in their midsize Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon
> trucks. The Trailblazer is a sport utility vehicle, not a minivan.

Right, I meant to type SUV.

Old February 4th 05, 07:51 AM
jetsguy

Hey Steve,

Is the smallish back seat or trunk space a problem for you? I have
kids to haul with hockey gear so this could be a problem. Also I've
read complaints that headroom is cramped which leads to some visibility
issues also because of roofline. Does this bother you?

Does sound and look like a fun car to drive, I hope to get out for a
test drive this weekend.

Thanks for the reply.

Jetsguy

Old February 4th 05, 04:45 PM
Steve

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> You're missing the point. There's no difference between *ANALOGOUS MODELS*
> with different nameplates. Cavalier/Sunfire, for instance.

Gotta disagree up to a point. The Firebird was always much better
finished out than the Camaro. Buicks are much better fitted and finished
than analagous Chevies, less noticeably better (but often still
noticeably better) than analagous Pontiacs. And yes, I used to find
Sunfires to be less repugnant than Cavaliers. There's still a definite
quality heirarchy in GM.

Its the drivetrains that are identical with the exception of Cadillac.
Old February 4th 05, 05:05 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, Steve wrote:

> > You're missing the point. There's no difference between *ANALOGOUS MODELS*
> > with different nameplates. Cavalier/Sunfire, for instance.

> Gotta disagree up to a point. The Firebird was always much better
> finished out than the Camaro. Buicks are much better fitted and finished
> than analagous Chevies, less noticeably better (but often still
> noticeably better) than analagous Pontiacs. And yes, I used to find
> Sunfires to be less repugnant than Cavaliers.

How many years ago? The current/recent ones are identical.

Old February 4th 05, 05:57 PM
ray

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, Steve wrote:
>

>>>You're missing the point. There's no difference between *ANALOGOUS MODELS*
>>>with different nameplates. Cavalier/Sunfire, for instance.

>>Gotta disagree up to a point. The Firebird was always much better
>>finished out than the Camaro. Buicks are much better fitted and finished
>>than analagous Chevies, less noticeably better (but often still
>>noticeably better) than analagous Pontiacs. And yes, I used to find
>>Sunfires to be less repugnant than Cavaliers.

> How many years ago? The current/recent ones are identical.

The seats in my 01 TA are way better than any 01 Camaro seats.
What's funny is the seats in my 01 TA look virtually identical (except
headrests) from the late 80's Firebird GTA. (They're the 6 way
adjustable leather ones. The base Bird seats are about the same as the
Z28 seats.)

Ray