Where's the best place to find a NEW TOP ??

Old September 17th 04, 05:21 AM
Chief_Wiggum

Default Where's the best place to find a NEW TOP ??

Any reccomendations on where to get a new top and window for a 95 Miata?

Also, what's needed to put in a glass window ? I'm thinking as long as
the top's getting replaced it may be nice to put in glass . (unless it's too
cost prohibitive).

Thanxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old September 17th 04, 04:25 PM
jchase

Chief_Wiggum wrote:
> Any reccomendations on where to get a new top and window for a 95 Miata?

There are several aftermarket sources for tops- most have glass-window
tops that will fit your car. The tops are quite different because the
inflexible glass window is smaller than the flexible/unzipable plastic.

Robbins is a well-known brand, and makes tops in several grades (as well
as a wide price range- from <$300 to over $750)

Glass windows usually have defrost; if your car doesn't have a defroster
line (those sold with factory hard tops should), it's a pain to install.

Check miata.net for top vendors, explanations of the replacement
process, and other information. I'll leave it to others to explain how
hard the job is; I'm fortunately still on my original top.

Joe
Silver '99

Old September 17th 04, 04:27 PM
TBG

Check this URL

http://www.miatamania.com/Browse/Sub...ComponentID=17

they have glass top windows, I recommend whatever top you buy that you get
it with a rain rail as this simplifies installation.

Old September 18th 04, 02:41 AM
Leon van Dommelen

"Chief_Wiggum" > wrote:

>Any reccomendations on where to get a new top and window for a 95 Miata?
>
>Also, what's needed to put in a glass window ? I'm thinking as long as
>the top's getting replaced it may be nice to put in glass . (unless it's too
>cost prohibitive).

Check recent posts here and on miataforum.com about various choices.
Also check the product reviews on miata.net. The Duetto no-zip glass
top has gotten a couple of favorable reviews here. I would not like
to have a Robbins top since when down they lay much higher than
stock, destroying the sleek lines of the Miata in my opinion. If
you do not care about the looks, they are very good quality tops.

I installed an M2 top on my Miata,
http://www.bigbendmiataclub.org/bigb...1902/index.htm
but they are expensive even used, because of demand.

Leon

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old September 18th 04, 05:31 AM
Ken Lyons

"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote
> I would not like
> to have a Robbins top since when down they lay much higher than
> stock, destroying the sleek lines of the Miata in my opinion.

I snapped a photo of our Robbins no-zip glass top in the down position just
to show people what you are writing about:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?L45426059

It gets even worse as it tends to rise up while the car is driven. We tend
to not use the boot cover, which DOES fit over the higher Robbins and would
hold the top down.
--
Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red
Inside the Beltway