body seam sealers, panel to panel (types? brands?)

Old June 19th 04, 11:12 PM
dave

Default body seam sealers, panel to panel (types? brands?)

would appreciate hearing from you guys re what general "type" sealers
and/OR specific brand names of sealant<s> you recommend for sealing
(typically spot welded) seams, steel panel to steel panel, to make them
watertight (or nearly watertight), eg:

like where inner fenders join trunk floors, and in similar locations. I
need something better than "dimestore spray rattlecan undercoating" (and
prefer it be brushable, or at least 'smear-onable', because some of
these areas are inaccessable for spraying). I really have no idea what
type products are used 'these days' for this...

thanks very much :-)
--
if replying by e-mail, please remove the "weird stuff" from my email
address. thanks.
Old June 20th 04, 12:31 AM
J. Dan Jones

Last stuff I bought was black and came from NAPA "Balkamp" label, I think it
said seam sealer on it. was in a caulking tube. been about 5 or so years
now, but was easy to use and hardened up in a few weeks.
Good Luck,
Danno
--
J. Dan Jones, III
Virginia Peninsula Car Club Council

Old June 20th 04, 01:47 AM
dave

J. Dan Jones wrote:
> Last stuff I bought was black and came from NAPA "Balkamp" label, I think it
> said seam sealer on it. was in a caulking tube. been about 5 or so years
> now, but was easy to use and hardened up in a few weeks.

thanks danno. were those 'regular size' caulking tubes, like at home
depot, or the "super biggies"? if they're the "regular dinky sized"
ones, I'm gonna need a few...a 2 quart can or so would be nice :-)
(don't get me started :-)

anyone know who else where makes or sells that type stuff?

thanks again :-)

--
to reply, please remove the "weird stuff" from my email address. thanks.
Old June 20th 04, 03:25 AM
Jim

dave wrote:
> would appreciate hearing from you guys re what general "type" sealers
> and/OR specific brand names of sealant<s> you recommend for sealing
> (typically spot welded) seams, steel panel to steel panel, to make them
> watertight (or nearly watertight), eg:
>
> like where inner fenders join trunk floors, and in similar locations. I
> need something better than "dimestore spray rattlecan undercoating" (and
> prefer it be brushable, or at least 'smear-onable', because some of
> these areas are inaccessable for spraying). I really have no idea what
> type products are used 'these days' for this...
>
> thanks very much :-)

3M makes several nice seam sealers. See your local auto paint supplier.
They can help you chose the right one.
Old June 22nd 04, 03:51 AM
J. Dan Jones

They were small type tubes and I went through two of them myself. The old GM
stuff was brittle and just worked loose while I was rust proofing and
redoing the floors and trunk. let it set up a bit if you plan on painting
over it though. The red oxide primer didn't cover the black very well if I
remember.
As for the other post, about checking with your local body supply shop, this
is the way to go if you have a good one close by, consult them, you would be
surprised at what they have! I found vinyl wheel well trim in the same shape
and size as my damaged aluminum. people couldn't tell the difference when it
was finished. Also the clips and fasteners you need will be stocked there,
REASONABLE!. Stay away from the HELP section at your local auto parts store
if possible. A good place to find also is your local AUVECO distributor. Go
online and find their website and find a distributor. If you are real smooth
talking, you can get them to send you their catalog but they don't like to
do it to private individuals. Good luck in your endeavors.
Sorry for the run on sentences but... no points off for grammar.
Danno