Headlamp bulbs - -96 LHS

Old January 18th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Itsfrom Click

Default Headlamp bulbs - -96 LHS

Have never been satisfied with the headlight output of my ol' '96
LHS....... Ihave them adjusted much higher than factory settings, but
have been doing more nite driving than usual and they are really
unsatisfactory (don't seem to have much reach, not all that bright) (or
maybe seem worse compared to our new Ford).

The lenses are in good shape - not fogged or crazed:

do the bulbs just give off less light as they get old ------would it
help things to put in new factory-type bulbs

or are there any super-duper high output bulbs that I should try?
(besides all the "exotics". I see Sylvania is now running tv commercials
for some supposedly improved bulbs).

Thanks for any advice!

Old January 19th 07, 12:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Sharon Cooke

Itsfrom Click wrote:
> Have never been satisfied with the headlight output of my ol' '96
> LHS....... Ihave them adjusted much higher than factory settings, but
> have been doing more nite driving than usual and they are really
> unsatisfactory (don't seem to have much reach, not all that bright) (or
> maybe seem worse compared to our new Ford).
>
> The lenses are in good shape - not fogged or crazed:
>
> do the bulbs just give off less light as they get old ------would it
> help things to put in new factory-type bulbs
>
> or are there any super-duper high output bulbs that I should try?
> (besides all the "exotics". I see Sylvania is now running tv commercials
> for some supposedly improved bulbs).
>
> Thanks for any advice!

Bulbs wear out and get progressively dimmer way before total (filament
breaks) failure. If you drive at night a lot, new bulbs once a year
wouldn’t be excessive maintenance. I see the SilverStar Ultra ads also;
still a marketing scam to sell blue-tinted bulbs at an outrageous price.
If you like the Sylvania brand of bulbs, go for the XtraVision model(s).
Old January 19th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Paul M. Eldridge

I've owned a '94 LHS and a '97. The headlights on the '94 were about
as bright with the switch in the "off" position as they were in the
"on" and I'm not kidding when I tell you I was nervous driving the
thing at night, especially on roads without streetlights.

I had the original headlight assemblies swapped out for a revised
design, under warranty, and this improved their performance
considerably. It never had an issue with the '97, so I assume the
problem must have been corrected sometime after your vehicle was
built. In any event, your dealer should be able to provide you with
more information.

And, no question, the high-performance halogen IR lamps provide a
noticeable boost in light output and are well worth the extra dollars.

Cheers,
Paul

Old January 19th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Sharon Cooke

Paul M. Eldridge wrote:
> I've owned a '94 LHS and a '97. The headlights on the '94 were about
> as bright with the switch in the "off" position as they were in the
> "on" and I'm not kidding when I tell you I was nervous driving the
> thing at night, especially on roads without streetlights.
>
> I had the original headlight assemblies swapped out for a revised
> design, under warranty, and this improved their performance
> considerably. It never had an issue with the '97, so I assume the
> problem must have been corrected sometime after your vehicle was
> built. In any event, your dealer should be able to provide you with
> more information.
>
> And, no question, the high-performance halogen IR lamps provide a
> noticeable boost in light output and are well worth the extra dollars.
>
> Cheers,
> Paul
>

> On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 18:20:48 -0500, (Itsfrom Click)
> wrote:
>

>>Have never been satisfied with the headlight output of my ol' '96
>>LHS....... Ihave them adjusted much higher than factory settings, but
>>have been doing more nite driving than usual and they are really
>>unsatisfactory (don't seem to have much reach, not all that bright) (or
>>maybe seem worse compared to our new Ford).
>>
>>The lenses are in good shape - not fogged or crazed:
>>
>> do the bulbs just give off less light as they get old ------would it
>>help things to put in new factory-type bulbs
>>
>> or are there any super-duper high output bulbs that I should try?
>>(besides all the "exotics". I see Sylvania is now running tv commercials
>>for some supposedly improved bulbs).
>>
>>Thanks for any advice!

True enough on the modified Toshiba 9011 & 9012 HIR bulbs; I have the
9011 bulbs in my (9005) high beam sockets. The increased light output is
amazing, but will only retrofit easily to headlamps that take 9005 or
9006 bulbs. Another thing that works well to increase headlamp light
output is to install headlight relays, which puts close to system
voltage at the headlight bulb sockets; just a 5% voltage increase at the
socket will produce close to 20% more light from the filament. The
relays can be bought just about anywhere, but the easiest thing to do is
spend $50 or so to buy a commercially available harness from any of
several Internet vendors.
Old January 19th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Paul M. Eldridge

Hi Sharon,

Hmm... something about headlight relays that sends chills down my
spine. I had so many problems with my SAAB but one that caused me
particular anguish was the failing headlight relay (that should read
plural, as was true for most issues with that car).

With its demonic sense of humour and uncanny timing, it loved to play
the "let's-see-if-we-can-get-him-to-crap-his-pants-again" game.
Flying into a curve on Route 6 in northern Maine at 3:30 in the
morning and ***CLICK***, total darkness.

Sorry, won't put my life in the hands of BOSCH ever again. ;-)

Cheers,
Paul

Old January 19th 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Sharon Cooke

Paul M. Eldridge wrote:

> Hi Sharon,
>
> Hmm... something about headlight relays that sends chills down my
> spine. I had so many problems with my SAAB but one that caused me
> particular anguish was the failing headlight relay (that should read
> plural, as was true for most issues with that car).
>
> With its demonic sense of humour and uncanny timing, it loved to play
> the "let's-see-if-we-can-get-him-to-crap-his-pants-again" game.
> Flying into a curve on Route 6 in northern Maine at 3:30 in the
> morning and ***CLICK***, total darkness.
>
> Sorry, won't put my life in the hands of BOSCH ever again. ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> Paul

Well, Bosch had some problems a few years back (late '80s) and the
reliability of its automotive relays wasn't the highest. Since I’ve
almost always used Hella relays, I wasn’t affected. Every vehicle I own
has had headlight relays added by me, and have had a problem with
exactly ONE relay in 30-odd years, and that was most likely caused by me
by mounting the relay too close to the windshield washer reservoir. In
addition to producing more light at the bulb (at some bulb life expense,
of course), relays also take almost all of the electrical load off the
headlight & MF switches, either of which is a lot more trouble & expense
than to change a $5 socketed relay.
Old January 19th 07, 05:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Paul M. Eldridge

Hi Sharon,

OK, I'll accept everything you say, except that last part about the
$5.00 relay. You've obviously forgotten this is a SAAB (you know, the
car where every replacement part is hand crafted by Swedish elves and
sent over here on Viking sailing ships). Those relays were over a
$100.00 each. Yes, call me a fool for having it serviced by the
dealer, but they (Budd's in Oakville) were the only ones I could trust
to do the job right.

I have to tell you I loved that car ('84 900 Turbo, black) and I took
exceptionally fine care of it, but it bled me to death and every time
I started it up I asked myself what fresh hell it would bring.
Eventually, I gathered my senses and returned to Chrysler (is that
snickering I hear among the crowd?). :-0

Cheers,
Paul

Old January 19th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Richard

I once owned a SABB Turbo 4 door. Parts were more expensive than those for
an expensive Italian sports car. Great seats. Never again.

Richard.

Old January 19th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Paul M. Eldridge

Hi Richard,

I hear ya. It's a shame because there were so many things I truly
loved about that car beyond its quirky, "ugly duckling" styling (mine
was a two-door). A huge, wrap around window for a commanding view of
the road; a seat you could push so far back you couldn't touch the
pedals with the tips of your toes (and I'm 6ft 1); the kick-ass
acceleration when you engaged the turbo; the superb handling in just
about any kind of weather; a simple, clean, no-nonsense dash and
instrument panel; and, yes, even the placement of the ignition key
between the front seats. I also greatly admired the company's
commitment to vehicle safety and its emphasis on environmental
responsibility, long before those two things became so highly
fashionable. But at the end of the day, that wasn't enough; I needed
something more reliable or, failing that, a vehicle that could be
serviced by any competent mechanic and one for which parts were both
inexpensive and widely available.

Twenty years later, I sometimes feel the urge to buy another SAAB but
like you, I also remember why I swore "never again". Moreover, you
get the impression GM has sucked the very soul out of the company and
its products -- styling has become bland and mainstream and there
isn't the same spark and passion. You might as well buy a Buick. :-0

Cheers,
Paul

Old January 19th 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ford?

In article >,
Paul M. Eldridge > wrote:

> Twenty years later, I sometimes feel the urge to buy another SAAB but
> like you, I also remember why I swore "never again". Moreover, you
> get the impression GM has sucked the very soul out of the company and
> its products -- styling has become bland and mainstream and there
> isn't the same spark and passion. You might as well buy a Buick. :-0

That's right, it's a GM European product called a SAAB.