walmart house oil?

Old March 15th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default walmart house oil?

hello to all .
does anyone know who makes it ? i heard castrol does.
also i can rember helping grandpa as a kid and all he did was change the
filter and add a quart. lol my how times have changed.waite does anyone
still do this ? SKU

Old March 15th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

I consider Castrol to be a good lubricant, but there's no telling what
crap they'd manufacture for Wal-Mart (or anybody else) if the Castrol
name's not going to be on it.

My cars doen't burn enough oil that there'd be room to add a quart.

Perce

Old March 15th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Sean&Heather wrote:

> hello to all .
> does anyone know who makes it?

It's made in China, out of the fat rendered off political prisoners and
6-year-old factory workers.
Old March 15th 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Sean&Heather wrote:
> hello to all .
> does anyone know who makes it ? i heard castrol does.

If there were a Wal-mart restaurant I wouldn't drink the "house" wine,
so I wouldn't use the "house" oil in my car either!

--

The home of New Yorks #1 jamband!!
http://rocksfromthegarden.tripod.com/

Old March 15th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

> I consider Castrol to be a good lubricant, but there's no telling what
> crap they'd manufacture for Wal-Mart (or anybody else) if the Castrol
> name's not going to be on it.
>
> My cars doen't burn enough oil that there'd be room to add a quart.

So you'd just leave out the quart that is inside the old filter when you
take it off and throw it away, or did you miss the fact that this is the
reason for adding the quart?

FWIW, I suspect more people are doing this today than a few years ago
because more people are running extended oil change intervals. It
doesn't hurt to change the filter and add a quart halfway through an
extended oil change interval with synthetic oils (order of 9000 mile
drain intervals) just to get a new filter in there, plus a dose of fresh
oil and additives to boot. But that's assuming you do a COMPLETE oil and
filter change at the end of the interval.

Old March 15th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Steve wrote

<So you'd just leave out the quart that is inside the old filter when
you
<take it off and throw it away, or did you miss the fact that this is
the
<reason for adding the quart?

I haven't seen a filter in several years that would hold a quart. Most
are closer to a cup these days. A quart used to be "normal," though.

<FWIW, I suspect more people are doing this today than a few years ago
<because more people are running extended oil change intervals. It
<doesn't hurt to change the filter and add a quart halfway through an
<extended oil change interval with synthetic oils (order of 9000 mile
<drain intervals) just to get a new filter in there, plus a dose of
fresh
<oil and additives to boot.

I suspect you are right. Most cars/drivers today, though, still fall
in the "severe use" or whatever similar category the manufacturers use.
They should not be using the "extended" intervals suggested by the
owner's manuals and car salespeople. Most probably do, though.

As for Wal-Mart, they have nothing that you can't buy somewhere else. I
refuse to shop there.

Old March 16th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Dipstick wrote:

> Steve wrote
>
> <So you'd just leave out the quart that is inside the old filter when
> you
> <take it off and throw it away, or did you miss the fact that this is
> the
> <reason for adding the quart?
>
> I haven't seen a filter in several years that would hold a quart. Most
> are closer to a cup these days. A quart used to be "normal," though.

They still sell the AC PF2 / Motorcraft FL-1A / Wix 1515 / Purolator
L3001 size (quart) filter. AND it fits on a lot of engines that come
equipped with those rinky-dink teacup size filters too, and a lot of
people (including me) use it on every vehicle they own.

> I suspect you are right. Most cars/drivers today, though, still fall
> in the "severe use" or whatever similar category the manufacturers use.
> They should not be using the "extended" intervals suggested by the
> owner's manuals and car salespeople. Most probably do, though.

People who do oil analyses are finding that name brand(*) synthetic (and
group-III base non-synthetic) oil is barely even showing any degradation
at 9k miles, even in extremely severe use. The old "3000 mile" oil
change is ridiculous with high quality modern oils. There's a lot of
good information that suggests that some engine/oil combinations could
easily run 20,000 miles between changes. You won't catch me going past
about 9000, though, which I've been doing for a long time. One engine
with 400k miles and two others with over 250k say it works just fine.

* obviously this disqualifies "house brand" oils. Not because they
necessarily aren't excellent today, but because tomorrow you won't have
a clue who's making it when the current contract expires.

Old March 16th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 00:59:28 UTC, "Dipstick" > wrote:

> Steve wrote
> <They still sell the AC PF2 / Motorcraft FL-1A / Wix 1515 / Purolator
> <L3001 size (quart) filter. AND it fits on a lot of engines that come
> <equipped with those rinky-dink teacup size filters too, and a lot of
> <people (including me) use it on every vehicle they own.
>
> Yes, they do. The point was that most factory filters don't hold a
> quart anymore. Most owners probably don't use the quart size filter
> even if they could (me included). Many surely do. Regardless of
> capacity, you are correct that changing the filter 'only' requires one
> to replace the lost oil.
>
> <People who do oil analyses are finding that name brand(*) synthetic
> (and
> <group-III base non-synthetic) oil is barely even showing any
> degradation
> <at 9k miles, even in extremely severe use. The old "3000 mile" oil
> <change is ridiculous with high quality modern oils. There's a lot of
> <good information that suggests that some engine/oil combinations could
>
> <easily run 20,000 miles between changes. You won't catch me going
> past
> <about 9000, though, which I've been doing for a long time. One engine
> <with 400k miles and two others with over 250k say it works just fine.
>
> Oil analysis is practiced regularly at my employer...we don't change
> oil there unless analysis says it's time. There's no doubt that good
> quality oils will go much farther than 3000 today under most any
> circumstances. One guy who works for me tells of a GM lubrication
> school he attended in the late 60's (as a GM employee) that debunked
> the 3000 mile theory. They espoused 9000-12000 for most users. He
> claims that the oil companies kept GM from making that public
> knowledge. I believe the first parts of that, but not sure about the
> last :-). I personally use the rediculous 3000 mile rule for several
> reasons....it's easy to remember, it can't hurt, I'm old and used to
> it, my kids remember it and bring their cars by, and I have a million
> miles of positive experience. Priceless, to me, even if it does cost an
> extra hundred bucks a year. Couldn't pay me to use the "house brand"
> stuff tho, even if it's exactly the same.

I use that rule also for my 1940 Chrysler Royal and my 2005 PT Cruiser
Convertible!

--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"
Old March 16th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"Daniel J. Stern" wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Sean&Heather wrote:
>
> > hello to all .
> > does anyone know who makes it?

> It's made in China, out of the fat rendered off political prisoners and
> 6-year-old factory workers.

Documentation??? s.v.p. ;-)

Old March 16th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

TNKEV wrote:

> Sean&Heather wrote:
> > hello to all .
> > does anyone know who makes it ? i heard castrol does.

> If there were a Wal-mart restaurant I wouldn't drink the "house" wine,
> so I wouldn't use the "house" oil in my car either!

What is your point? There is NO restaurant licensed at any USA Wal-Mart
:-) Your comment makes absolutely no sense. Correct my impression of your
statement - IF you can. Are you saying you don't change any oil in your
"non-existant" vehicle?