Curious about youse guys' opinions

Old July 13th 05, 05:02 AM
fbloogyudsr

Default Curious about youse guys' opinions

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...onfitness.html

I was reading through the Pacific magazine last weekend and noticed this
article.
It talks a lot about the health benefits and injuries. But, the most
amazing
thing about the article is the pictu it's a pic of a cyclist lane
splitting!
Certainly one of the more dangerous - and in WA state illegal, I believe -
things to do on a bike.

Newspaper editors and art directors are probably the cause, but really!
Claire, did you notice this?

Floyd R

Old July 13th 05, 05:14 AM
JJ

"fbloogyudsr" > wrote in message
> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...onfitness.html
>
> I was reading through the Pacific magazine last weekend and noticed this
> article.
> It talks a lot about the health benefits and injuries. But, the most
> amazing
> thing about the article is the pictu it's a pic of a cyclist lane
> splitting!
> Certainly one of the more dangerous - and in WA state illegal, I believe -
> things to do on a bike.
>
> Newspaper editors and art directors are probably the cause, but really!
> Claire, did you notice this?
>
> Floyd R

Look at the design on the guy's shirt.

Old July 13th 05, 05:24 AM
Fred

"fbloogyudsr" > wrote in message
> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...onfitness.html
>
> I was reading through the Pacific magazine last weekend and noticed this
> article.
> It talks a lot about the health benefits and injuries. But, the most
> amazing
> thing about the article is the pictu it's a pic of a cyclist lane
> splitting!
> Certainly one of the more dangerous - and in WA state illegal, I believe -
> things to do on a bike.
>
> Newspaper editors and art directors are probably the cause, but really!
> Claire, did you notice this?
>
> Floyd R

Looks like a perfectly legal and safe way to make a left turn in the left
turn lane. Notice the car at the very right front of the picture, it's
turning left.

Old July 13th 05, 05:25 AM
fbloogyudsr

"JJ" > wrote
> "fbloogyudsr" > wrote
>> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...onfitness.html
>>
>> I was reading through the Pacific magazine last weekend and noticed this
>> article.
>> It talks a lot about the health benefits and injuries. But, the most
>> amazing
>> thing about the article is the pictu it's a pic of a cyclist lane
>> splitting!
>> Certainly one of the more dangerous - and in WA state illegal, I
>> believe -
>> things to do on a bike.
>>
>> Newspaper editors and art directors are probably the cause, but really!
>> Claire, did you notice this?
>>
>> Floyd R

> Look at the design on the guy's shirt.

It's a gal - easier to tell on the print version... ;->

Floyd

Old July 13th 05, 07:08 AM
Bill Sornson

Fred wrote:
> "fbloogyudsr" > wrote in message
>> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...onfitness.html
>>
>> I was reading through the Pacific magazine last weekend and noticed
>> this article.
>> It talks a lot about the health benefits and injuries. But, the most
>> amazing
>> thing about the article is the pictu it's a pic of a cyclist lane
>> splitting!
>> Certainly one of the more dangerous - and in WA state illegal, I
>> believe - things to do on a bike.
>>
>> Newspaper editors and art directors are probably the cause, but
>> really! Claire, did you notice this?
>>
>> Floyd R
>>

> Looks like a perfectly legal and safe way to make a left turn in the
> left turn lane. Notice the car at the very right front of the
> picture, it's turning left.

Yup. Not obvious at first glance, but clearly the case.

(I have a left turn early on from my house that's exactly like this, but
with TWO left-only lanes. I always cue up on the front-outside of the
right-most left-turn lane. {How's THAT for a clear description?!?} <eg> )

Old July 13th 05, 09:54 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 21:02:22 -0700, "fbloogyudsr"
> wrote:

>It talks a lot about the health benefits and injuries. But, the most
>amazing thing about the article is the pictu it's a pic of a
>cyclist lane splitting!

Something I do every day. When the cars are stationary it is
completely safe. When they start to move you keep pace just behind
the rear quarter of the car in whichever lane happens to be going
faster (or rather, less slowly).

As long as you keep your wits about you there is very little risk
involved.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

"Let’s have a moment of silence for all those Americans who are stuck
in traffic on their way to the gym to ride the stationary bicycle."
- Earl Blumenauer
Old July 13th 05, 07:56 PM
Timothy J. Lee

In article >,
fbloogyudsr > wrote:
>http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...onfitness.html
>
>I was reading through the Pacific magazine last weekend and noticed this
>article.
>It talks a lot about the health benefits and injuries. But, the most
>amazing
>thing about the article is the pictu it's a pic of a cyclist lane
>splitting!
>Certainly one of the more dangerous - and in WA state illegal, I believe -
>things to do on a bike.

Lane splitting is not very dangerous if the cars being split between
are stopped and packed closely (so that they cannot do surprise lane
changes across the path of the splitter), and their potential turning
movements are in directions away from the direction of the cyclist
(i.e. don't split between two turning lanes if you want to go straight).

Timothy J. Lee
Old July 13th 05, 08:09 PM
Brent P

In article >, fbloogyudsr wrote:
> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...onfitness.html

> thing about the article is the pictu it's a pic of a cyclist lane
> splitting!

My first thought was I feel that I should have bike commuted today.

Looking at this picture the rider is in a left turn lane. Provided the
rider is turning left, this isn't lane spliting. But rather a legal lane
location for turning left given the way most vehicle codes can be
interpeted.

It's not something I do, because drivers cannot handle their vehicles
well. When I am in a turn lane, I take the lane. I accelerate and turn
faster than most drivers who are turning anyway.

Given the long queue of vehicles and large gap, that may encourage me to
do the option that rider is doing. However I've never faced a situation
like that.

Old July 13th 05, 08:28 PM
dgk

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 21:02:22 -0700, "fbloogyudsr"
> wrote:

>http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...onfitness.html
>
>I was reading through the Pacific magazine last weekend and noticed this
>article.
>It talks a lot about the health benefits and injuries. But, the most
>amazing
>thing about the article is the pictu it's a pic of a cyclist lane
>splitting!
>Certainly one of the more dangerous - and in WA state illegal, I believe -
>things to do on a bike.
>
>Newspaper editors and art directors are probably the cause, but really!
>Claire, did you notice this?
>
>Floyd R

What's the problem? Should I ride on the left side of cars that are
turning left?

This is what I ride like all the time. Perhaps the right techinique is
to take up a lane and make the cars drive at 15mph?
Old July 13th 05, 10:07 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Brent P" > wrote
> In article >, fbloogyudsr wrote:
>> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...onfitness.html

>> thing about the article is the pictu it's a pic of a cyclist lane
>> splitting!

> My first thought was I feel that I should have bike commuted today.
>
> Looking at this picture the rider is in a left turn lane. Provided the
> rider is turning left, this isn't lane spliting. But rather a legal lane
> location for turning left given the way most vehicle codes can be
> interpeted.
>
> It's not something I do, because drivers cannot handle their vehicles
> well. When I am in a turn lane, I take the lane. I accelerate and turn
> faster than most drivers who are turning anyway.
>
> Given the long queue of vehicles and large gap, that may encourage me to
> do the option that rider is doing. However I've never faced a situation
> like that.

Ok, many people are saying that this isn't lane splitting (which
I've looked up in RCW and is illegal in WA). But, then what I don't
understand is: why is it ok to bypass cars in a LEFT turn lane (by
riding up the outside) but not in a RIGHT turn lane. Seems to me
you can't have it both ways... Both are dangerous, if not illegal
(in this case).

Floyd