Removing car radios

Old May 25th 07, 02:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Proctologically Violated©®

Default Removing car radios

Awl--

I am about to dispose of, one way or another, a 1990 Mazda 929S.
Effing great car, saw better times, got goodly rear-ended recently, time to
call it quits.
Replaced it with a Honda Fit--it's been weeks now, and the wife still won't
speak to me....

The mazda also had a great stereo (cassette <g>), w/ equalizer, etc, which I
would like to remove, for an interesting reason:
Some queries a while ago revealed that the tuning circuits in car radios are
*fundamentally superior* to home radios/stereos, resulting in *much better*
reception.
Since I get miserable reception here, I figgered I just hook up a couple of
car stereos.
In fact, I used to park my car in the basement garage, to listen to the
radio whilst I worked in the shop.
While the house stereo on the top floor wouldn't pick up anything
listenable.

It seems that the only way to remove this radio is with a chain saw.
goodgawd, talk about theft-proof!
Is there some technique/secret/trick to removing car radios? I pulled apart
the center console, and that doesn't seem to reveal anything.
Will the whole dash have to come off?
Should I call my local drug dealer?

Alternatively, if I am beating a dead horse, mebbe I should buy a more
modern car radio/stereo?

Any advice, pointers, recommendations for a new generic stereo, widsom?
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

Old May 25th 07, 03:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AZ Nomad

On Fri, 25 May 2007 09:33:32 -0400, Proctologically Violated©® > wrote:

>It seems that the only way to remove this radio is with a chain saw.
>goodgawd, talk about theft-proof!
>Is there some technique/secret/trick to removing car radios? I pulled apart
>the center console, and that doesn't seem to reveal anything.
>Will the whole dash have to come off?
>Should I call my local drug dealer?

>Alternatively, if I am beating a dead horse, mebbe I should buy a more
>modern car radio/stereo?

go to a dealer and ask to read a shop manual.

Old May 25th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Larry W

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
> Awl--
>
> I am about to dispose of, one way or another, a 1990 Mazda 929S.
> Effing great car, saw better times, got goodly rear-ended recently, time to
> call it quits.
> Replaced it with a Honda Fit--it's been weeks now, and the wife still won't
> speak to me....
>
> The mazda also had a great stereo (cassette <g>), w/ equalizer, etc, which I
> would like to remove, for an interesting reason:
> Some queries a while ago revealed that the tuning circuits in car radios are
> *fundamentally superior* to home radios/stereos, resulting in *much better*
> reception.
> Since I get miserable reception here, I figgered I just hook up a couple of
> car stereos.
> In fact, I used to park my car in the basement garage, to listen to the
> radio whilst I worked in the shop.
> While the house stereo on the top floor wouldn't pick up anything
> listenable.
>
> It seems that the only way to remove this radio is with a chain saw.
> goodgawd, talk about theft-proof!
> Is there some technique/secret/trick to removing car radios? I pulled apart
> the center console, and that doesn't seem to reveal anything.
> Will the whole dash have to come off?
> Should I call my local drug dealer?
>
> Alternatively, if I am beating a dead horse, mebbe I should buy a more
> modern car radio/stereo?
>
> Any advice, pointers, recommendations for a new generic stereo, widsom?

If it's like my Mazda, you'll need a DIN tool. NAPA sells these for less than
$5. Very simple to use, do a Google if search if it doesn't come with instructions.

Larry
Old May 25th 07, 04:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Marc Gerges

"Proctologically Violated©®" > wrote:
> Is there some technique/secret/trick to removing car radios? I pulled apart
> the center console, and that doesn't seem to reveal anything.
> Will the whole dash have to come off?
> Should I call my local drug dealer?

Speaking from a european perspective - but maybe radios are the same all
over the place:

You may see two pairs of round holes at the left and right of the radio
front - alternatively a long rectangular hole. In there go mounting
brackets that, when inserted, push little holding devices in and allow
to pull the radio out front.

The mounting brackets are cheap and can be replaced by self made
contraptions if one knows how things look in there. Which will be about
10 seconds after you pulled the radio. So go and buy a set, or borrow
them from a dealer.

Some cars have in addition to this a screw that goes into the back of
the radio. Typically that unscrews rather easily from the glove box or a
similar place.

> Alternatively, if I am beating a dead horse, mebbe I should buy a more
> modern car radio/stereo?
> Any advice, pointers, recommendations for a new generic stereo, widsom?

CD Drive that can read MP3 CD's is fun. Hours of music from a single
disc.

cu
.\\arc
Old May 25th 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
MasterBlaster

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote

> I am about to dispose of, one way or another, a 1990 Mazda 929S.
> The mazda also had a great stereo (cassette <g>), w/ equalizer, etc, which I
> would like to remove, for an interesting reason:

Is a 1989 the same?
Autozone says:

929 Models

On vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, apply the parking brake
and move the lever to the "L" position to gain sufficient removal and installation
clearance. Protect the console and trim surfaces with soft cloth and do not attempt
to pry the trim from the face of the audio system.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the three plastic Phillips head screws from the duct panel under cover
located on the passenger's side. Locate and remove the single large plastic hex nut
that holds the duct panel under cover in place.

3. Reach in behind the audio unit and remove the two attaching nuts. Push on the
mounting studs and pull the unit from the dash until the electrical connections are
visible and accessible. Detach the electrical connections and antenna leads from
the rear of the unit, then pull the radio from the dash.

Old May 26th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
AZ Nomad

On Fri, 25 May 2007 17:44:06 +0200, Marc Gerges > wrote:

>"Proctologically Violated©®" > wrote:
>> Is there some technique/secret/trick to removing car radios? I pulled apart
>> the center console, and that doesn't seem to reveal anything.
>> Will the whole dash have to come off?
>> Should I call my local drug dealer?

>Speaking from a european perspective - but maybe radios are the same all
>over the place:

>You may see two pairs of round holes at the left and right of the radio
>front - alternatively a long rectangular hole. In there go mounting
>brackets that, when inserted, push little holding devices in and allow
>to pull the radio out front.

>The mounting brackets are cheap and can be replaced by self made
>contraptions if one knows how things look in there. Which will be about
>10 seconds after you pulled the radio. So go and buy a set, or borrow
>them from a dealer.

>Some cars have in addition to this a screw that goes into the back of
>the radio. Typically that unscrews rather easily from the glove box or a
>similar place.

I've only seen DIN mounts on aftermarket radios. Most car makers (and
especially the japanese and ford) like to bolt the radio to a subchassis
behind the center console.
Old May 26th 07, 01:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dahpater

>I 've only seen DIN mounts on aftermarket radios. Most car makers (and
> especially the japanese and ford) like to bolt the radio to a subchassis
> behind the center console.

Ford uses them.

Double-Din Radios [email protected] Ford Explorer 1 March 22nd 06 12:10 AM
Swapping radios, EX and LX Perry Templeton Honda 3 March 12th 06 07:05 PM
Blaupunkt Radios [email protected] VW air cooled 1 August 12th 05 03:50 AM
Jeep OEM Radios nvrpc Jeep 5 April 4th 05 12:00 AM
swapping radios? [email protected] Honda 3 December 7th 04 11:31 PM