Max Tire Pressure?

Old May 25th 07, 01:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_1_]

Default Max Tire Pressure?

"Pop`" > wrote in message
> C. E. White wrote:

>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> fwiw, my 2001 Trans Am's sticker has a 30psi rating for normal
>>> driving, and a 38psi rating for sustained speeds above 100mph. I
>>> love that sticker.

>> Wow, I am surprised GM doesn't get sued over that one. I mean if
>> the
>> sticker says you can go 100, you probably should....
>>
>> Do you remember when manufacturers were installing tires with an 85
>> mph maximum speed rating? I thought that was insane, even though
>> the
>> National Speed Limit was 55. Now things have gone in the opposite
>> direction - cars come with tires rated for 135 mph, even if they
>> have
>> governors limiting them to 105. And tire stores force you to buy
>> the
>> higher rated tires even if you never plan to go over 80....
>>
>> Ed

> Some tires are now rated for 75 mph. You're thinking about specials
> or European tires.

Nobody is selling cars with tires rated for only 75 mph today in the
US. I can't say what is happening in the rest of the world. My Ford
Fusion came with P225/50VR17 - 93V tires - they are rated for 149 mph.
If I go to Sam's or Costco to buy replacement tires they will insist
that I buy tires of the same speed rating. There is no way that Fusion
is going to do 149 mph unless I drop it off a clift.

Ed

Old May 25th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Proctologically Violated©®

Neat trick, the chalk thing. Elegant, simple, revealing.

Good thread. I'm deflating my tires as I type.

Altho I did read someplace that underinflation leads to more punctures than
high-er inflation.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

ng.com...

Old May 25th 07, 01:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ray[_5_]

C. E. White wrote:

> Wow, I am surprised GM doesn't get sued over that one. I mean if the
> sticker says you can go 100, you probably should....

The actual sticker says:

"See owner's manual for tire pressure needed at 160 KM/H (100MPH) or
higher speeds, where legal, and for additional tire information."

The owner's manual (which I don't have handy) lists the 38 psi as the
pressure required for driving above 100.

Considering in stock form, this car can push 160mph, I see why the
sticker exists. I don't know what percentage of F-Body
(Camaro/Firebird) owners race their cars, but it's pretty high.

Ray
Old May 25th 07, 01:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ray[_5_]

Pop` wrote:

>> Do you remember when manufacturers were installing tires with an 85
>> mph maximum speed rating? I thought that was insane, even though the
>> National Speed Limit was 55. Now things have gone in the opposite
>> direction - cars come with tires rated for 135 mph, even if they have
>> governors limiting them to 105. And tire stores force you to buy the
>> higher rated tires even if you never plan to go over 80....
>>
>> Ed

> Some tires are now rated for 75 mph. You're thinking about specials or
> European tires.

What Ed's referring to is a lot of tire places won't sell you anything
but a stock size, stock speed rating tire.

If your car came with an H speed rated tire, it would be ok to buy a V
rated tire, but not ok to step down to an S rated one, even if you're
not planning to exceed the speed limit of an S rating.

It's mostly a CYA thing for the tire place and the manufacturer. Even
though the highest legal speed limit in Canada is 110km/h, my Trans Am
came with tires rated to 149mph+.

Ray
Old May 25th 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ray[_5_]

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
> Neat trick, the chalk thing. Elegant, simple, revealing.
>
> Good thread. I'm deflating my tires as I type.
>
> Altho I did read someplace that underinflation leads to more punctures than
> high-er inflation.

If you ask 10 people their recommended tire pressures, you'll probably
get 11 answers.

When in doubt, with stock tires on a stock car, stock pressures are
usually good enough.

Once you start changing sizes, widths, compounds, tire types (radial vs
bias ply, street tire vs race tire), racing, offroading, lifting,
lowering, trailering... then you need to worry.

Ray

Tire pressure Dennis Croll Jeep 22 October 28th 06 01:17 PM
Tire Pressure for '94 Cobra with tire option 255/45/17 Richard Ford Mustang 5 May 26th 06 07:23 PM
How to set tire pressure. was: Tire Pressure for '94 Cobra... Blue Mesteno Ford Mustang 1 May 21st 06 05:22 AM
Tire pressure? FrankW Jeep 3 August 18th 05 03:17 AM
Tire Inflation Positioning Switch (Tire pressure monitoring Florin Covaciu General 0 August 27th 04 07:29 AM