10-year airbag inspection for 1997 Accord

Old April 29th 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech
TomP[_1_]

Default 10-year airbag inspection for 1997 Accord

MasterBlaster wrote:

> "TomP" wrote
>
> > Tegger wrote:
> > > Just unplug the yellow connectors at the SRS ECU.

> > Do not "just unplug the yellow connector at the SRS/CU."
> > Here's the Truth about the 10 year inspection.

> So, basically you can either...
>
> 1 - Unplug and short the connector.
> or
> 2a - See if that ArmorAll crap you've been using has cracked the vinyl cover.
> 2b - Turn to "on", wait&watch for 6 seconds, instead of going straight to "start".
>
> Seems simple enough.

Yes.
The airbag system is 'fool proof' long as the fool doesn't "fool" around with it.
In 20 years, of airbag involvement, I have not seen an airbag "deloy" by itself for
"no" reason.
--
Tp,

-------- __o
----- -\<. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

Old April 29th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech
Michael Pardee

"TomP" > wrote in message
> The airbag system is 'fool proof' long as the fool doesn't "fool" around
> with it.
> In 20 years, of airbag involvement, I have not seen an airbag "deloy" by
> itself for
> "no" reason.
> --
> Tp,

Several years ago I had occasion to search what I recall was the NHTSA
database for complaints regarding some car I was considering buying (used).
In the complaints were three for unwanted air bag deployments; two of them
occurred while turning one particular direction. Hmm. I agree that more
recent airbag systems are stringently designed and that it shouldn't be a
problem in a '97.

The NHTSA website does warn that disabling the SRS is prohibited in the US
and that in many states inoperative SRS will cause the vehicle to fail
safety inspections. http://tinyurl.com/2wtub4 FAQ 6

Mike

Old April 29th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech
Bob M.

"MasterBlaster" > wrote in message

> So, basically you can either...
>
> 1 - Unplug and short the connector.
> or
> 2a - See if that ArmorAll crap you've been using has cracked the vinyl
> cover.
> 2b - Turn to "on", wait&watch for 6 seconds, instead of going straight to
> "start".
>
> Seems simple enough.

When I disconnected the airbomb on a '93 Prizm I once owned, the airbomb's
connector was of the "self-shorting" variety where a piece of metal would
spring down & contact both pins when the plug was pulled out of the socket.
This effectively safed the airbomb.

Old April 29th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech
jim beam

Michael Pardee wrote:
> "TomP" > wrote in message
>> The airbag system is 'fool proof' long as the fool doesn't "fool" around
>> with it.
>> In 20 years, of airbag involvement, I have not seen an airbag "deloy" by
>> itself for
>> "no" reason.
>> --
>> Tp,
>>

> Several years ago I had occasion to search what I recall was the NHTSA
> database for complaints regarding some car I was considering buying (used).
> In the complaints were three for unwanted air bag deployments; two of them
> occurred while turning one particular direction. Hmm. I agree that more
> recent airbag systems are stringently designed and that it shouldn't be a
> problem in a '97.
>
> The NHTSA website does warn that disabling the SRS is prohibited in the US
> and that in many states inoperative SRS will cause the vehicle to fail
> safety inspections. http://tinyurl.com/2wtub4 FAQ 6
>
> Mike

no, read it again. it doesn't say it's prohibited, it says is that it's
prohibited for /dealers and repair shops/ to disable, and there there
/may/ be state laws requiring them to be enabled. but other than that
it merely "strongly discourages" disabling, not exactly a rigorous legal
requirement.
Old May 1st 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech
Doc

On Apr 28, 6:45 pm, "MasterBlaster" > wrote:

> So, basically you can either...
>
> 1 - Unplug and short the connector.
> or
> 2a - See if that ArmorAll crap you've been using has cracked the vinyl cover.
> 2b - Turn to "on", wait&watch for 6 seconds, instead of going straight to "start".
>
> Seems simple enough.

You neglected another simple diagnostic option.

Run the vehicle up to about 80 mph and run into a brick wall or sturdy
tree.

This will tell you whether the system is working. If the bag doesn't
deploy, have it checked out at an authorized dealer at the earliest
opportunity.

Old May 26th 07, 12:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Apr 27, 5:37 pm, " >
wrote:
> According to the label on the door jam of my 97 Accord, my airbag is
> now 10-years old and should be inspected according to the maintenance
> schedule.
> Does anyone know how necessary this is, or what it should cost for a
> mechanic to do it?
> Thanks

Might want to check out gen5alive.com as they have a site dedicated to
94-97 accords

airbag on model 325i (year 2001) [email protected] BMW 10 April 17th 07 02:43 AM
1997 528i with inspection light displaying when starting car - what to do? [email protected] BMW 5 October 9th 06 09:46 PM
1997 528i Cruise @ airbag ReddDawg BMW 2 March 13th 06 04:46 PM
1997 Caravan Airbag like comes on intermittently. JM Chrysler 19 May 6th 05 07:50 PM
airbag-horn 1997 Voyager Jveedub Chrysler 3 February 6th 05 04:11 AM