Lifting a 97 Jeep wrangler

Old May 26th 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott

Default Lifting a 97 Jeep wrangler

I recently bought a 97 Jeep Wrangler with 97,000 miles on it from an
older lady who took very good care of it, had a folder full of
maintenance records and the Jeep's engine, body and interior were all
in excellent condition ( worn top only bad thing).

I want to lift it so i can fit 31" 11.50 tires on it and have more
room for off-roading. I want to do it myself and save money (except
tire mounting).

I took it to a 4x4 lift shop that was recommended to me from several
people and the owner was very knowledgeable and broke everything down
for me on what we could do and what would neeed to be done with
certain lifts.

The total cost for a 4" superlift 31" 12.50 BFG tires 15x10 M/T rims
and a cold air intake and new steering stabilizer was a little over
$4,000. He suggested that I not go with 33" tires because of the re-
gearing that would have to be done, that cost more and with it only
being a 4 cyl to much power loss. Also said for off-roading 31" are
perfect so no rub during major articulation occurs. He has a massive
Excursion with a 10" lift and only has 33"s on his, and has 2
Wranglers lifted that all run 31"s, so I trust him.

I was thinkng of not putting to much money into it because of the
amount of miles on it.
I was thinking a 2" spacer lift, new steer stabilizer. What are good
kits for this I've searched Quadratec and most seem to be the same,
but I was wondering when I saw a Procomp 2' lift for $299 that
replaces the coil springs and shocks as opposed to adding spacers on
the coil springs.

Has anyone done this lift before? I have seen alot of post on the
spacer lift, not the Procomp lift.
And is a coil suppression needed when taking them off?

Thanks for any help.