CO2 hoses : how long maximum?

Old July 29th 03, 11:15 PM
Iain Miller

Default CO2 hoses : how long maximum?

"teizman" wrote in message
ynet.net...
hi,

I m thinking about buying a CO2 (automatic) system with a classic CO2

bottle
from SERA.

Can I use very long hoses for the CO2 bottle ? (So I can put the Co2

bottle
in the cellar beneath the aquarium (thing this is more safer and more
discrete) With very long, I mean about 7 or 8 meters (=20ft or a slightly
more).

Or will this cause some loss or something else?

Main thing is to get the right kind of hose. I don't see why there should be
a limit anywhere near what you want in terms of length. CO2 as a gas is made
up of much smaller molecules than say Nitrogen or Oxygen & therefore will
actually leak through some materials - silicone Airline being the relvant
example. That said, if you are using bottled gas do you really care about a
small amount of leakage of this nature? The only thing I can think of is
that it will be more difficult to set up because the needle valve that
controls the flow will be downstairs attached to the bottle so you could be
doing a bit of running up & down the stairs adjusting the thing till you get
it right (either that or get someone to help & shout a lot!)

I've got a 7lb bottle in the cupboard under my tank & although I am aware
that if it "went off" it could make a bit of a mess I think the chances of
it doing so are somewhat limited....as long as you handle it properly I
wouldn't worry about it too much.

I.

Old July 30th 03, 07:25 PM
Matthew Comstock

Main thing is to get the right kind of hose. I don't see why there should be
a limit anywhere near what you want in terms of length. CO2 as a gas is made
up of much smaller molecules than say Nitrogen or Oxygen & therefore will
actually leak through some materials - silicone Airline being the relvant
example.

CO2 molecules are actually quite a bit larger than Oxygen or Nitrogen.
Silicon tubing won't work due to a chemical effect. (it is the makeup of
the molecule, not its size that counts in this case.) Go with the
polyethylene/polypropylene tubing that you can buy at home depot for
icemakers. That won't leak CO2, and you are only limited to 30 yards or
so length. Ought to be enough for you.
-mat

Old August 3rd 03, 05:54 PM
Ian Smith

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 00:04:01 +0200, teizman wrote:
hi,

I m thinking about buying a CO2 (automatic) system with a classic CO2 bottle
from SERA.

Can I use very long hoses for the CO2 bottle ? (So I can put the Co2 bottle
in the cellar beneath the aquarium (thing this is more safer and more
discrete) With very long, I mean about 7 or 8 meters (=20ft or a slightly
more).

Or will this cause some loss or something else?

I have my CO2 cylinder in the next room, with teh hose going through a
hole in teh wall. Due to layout of where I have things, it's about a
6 or 7m length of pipe from cylnder to where it's injected into the
water.

The only issue really is adjustment of flow. The way I deal with that
is to have a bubble counter inline in the pipe near the cylinder, so I
can make flow adjustments and see the effect without walking to and
fro. Otherwise, no problems.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old August 24th 03, 09:10 PM
marc

Make sure you use co2 resistant tubing,
I have it on sale currently

Marcus
Http://www.Aquatic-store.com This weeks sales co2 tanks
Co2 regulator, bubble counter and needle valve $75.20

Webboard

http://aquatic.yupapa.com/phpbb/index.php

wrote:

hi,

I m thinking about buying a CO2 (automatic) system with a classic CO2 bottle
from SERA.

Can I use very long hoses for the CO2 bottle ? (So I can put the Co2 bottle
in the cellar beneath the aquarium (thing this is more safer and more
discrete) With very long, I mean about 7 or 8 meters (=20ft or a slightly
more).

Or will this cause some loss or something else?

thanx,
tijs