Civic problem solved!

Old December 16th 04, 09:39 AM
Ropert's Aloha

Default Civic problem solved!

Well I replaced the main relay and ignition switch and it still died out
after a few minutes of driving. When it cooled off there was spark again and
it would start and run until it got hot again. So I put in a new igniter
from Napa. That seems to have cured the problem. At least for now! I still
don't know why the igniters in my vehicle only seem to last a year or
two................But they have not been genuine Honda parts..........

thanks for all your excellent help

Gary in Hawaii
91 Civic Hatchback, 178k miles

Old December 16th 04, 10:21 AM
Randolph

Ropert's Aloha wrote:

> Well I replaced the main relay and ignition switch and it still died out
> after a few minutes of driving. When it cooled off there was spark again and
> it would start and run until it got hot again. So I put in a new igniter
> from Napa. That seems to have cured the problem. At least for now! I still
> don't know why the igniters in my vehicle only seem to last a year or
> two................But they have not been genuine Honda parts..........

Having followed this NG for a few years, I remember several posters
reporting that after market igniters (ICMs) don't last long.
Old December 16th 04, 04:09 PM
Remco

Hi

Just making su
Did you put heatsink compound on the device? (Radio Shack sells it) It
is supposed to have that stuff between the device and its mounting
plate. If you didn't do that, I'd suggest you redo it because it might
cause problems for you a while from now.

Regards,
Remco

Old December 18th 04, 11:03 PM
Ropert's Aloha

> Just making su
> Did you put heatsink compound on the device? (Radio Shack sells it) It
> is supposed to have that stuff between the device and its mounting
> plate. If you didn't do that, I'd suggest you redo it because it might
> cause problems for you a while from now.

No, Ididn't use any. None even came with the igniter I bought at Napa. I
went to Radio Shack out here in Hawaii and the kid in the store looked like
he had never heard of it. I searched the store and found nothing. Then I
went to Napa and the only thing close was a Silicone Dielectric by Permatex
for Ford and GM to protect from moisture. It didn't really mention
protection from heat. I almost went for it, but thought maybe Comp USA would
have something like it. I even went to Ace Hardware and they had nothing. So
do you put the grease in between the little mounting plate that is bolted
onto the inside of the distributor? And how much? There was a very tiny thin
coat of a type of clear grease on it when I took it out, but didn't seem
like it was between the mounting plate and igniter unit, but myabe it really
was.

thanks for the heads up

Gary
Hawaii

Old December 18th 04, 11:08 PM
Elle Navorski

"Ropert's Aloha" > wrote
> > Just making su
> > Did you put heatsink compound on the device? (Radio Shack sells it) It
> > is supposed to have that stuff between the device and its mounting
> > plate. If you didn't do that, I'd suggest you redo it because it might
> > cause problems for you a while from now.

> No, Ididn't use any. None even came with the igniter I bought at Napa. I
> went to Radio Shack out here in Hawaii and the kid in the store looked like
> he had never heard of it. I searched the store and found nothing. Then I
> went to Napa and the only thing close was a Silicone Dielectric by Permatex
> for Ford and GM to protect from moisture. It didn't really mention
> protection from heat. I almost went for it, but thought maybe Comp USA would
> have something like it. I even went to Ace Hardware and they had nothing. So
> do you put the grease in between the little mounting plate that is bolted
> onto the inside of the distributor? And how much? There was a very tiny thin
> coat of a type of clear grease on it when I took it out, but didn't seem
> like it was between the mounting plate and igniter unit, but myabe it really
> was.

I installed a new igniter a couple of years ago in my 91 Civic. IIRC, I went to
a place like CarQuest, Autozone, Checkers, or Advance, and they had some. The
clerks knew what I was talking about.

Maybe call one of these stores and ask.

Old December 19th 04, 01:30 AM
JazzMan

Ropert's Aloha wrote:

> > Just making su
> > Did you put heatsink compound on the device? (Radio Shack sells it) It
> > is supposed to have that stuff between the device and its mounting
> > plate. If you didn't do that, I'd suggest you redo it because it might
> > cause problems for you a while from now.

> No, Ididn't use any. None even came with the igniter I bought at Napa. I
> went to Radio Shack out here in Hawaii and the kid in the store looked like
> he had never heard of it. I searched the store and found nothing.

Yep, that's Radio Shack, the corporate motto is:

You've got questions, we have blank stares!

Hehehe...

They sell it, it's called "heat sink compound", here's
the info from their website:

273-1372 RadioShack Heat Sink Compound

Also, any electronics store such as Fry's will have it,
it's the same stuff used on heatsinks for computer processor
heatsinks and cooling fans.

JazzMan

Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.
Curse those darned bulk e-mailers!
Old December 19th 04, 05:55 PM
William R. Watt

Look on my website under "Cars" for the description of changing the
ignition control module (igniter?) on my car. I used dielectric heat sink
paste from an electronics store, a small blister pack for $1 (Canadian)
last spring. I did some research on it with a lot of help from people in
this newsgroup. The distributor (pun?) of the Japanese part was Standard
in the USA and I belive they sell the little bubble packs, their Canadian
subsidiary Blue Streak does. At $1 a shot I don't know why they don't just
stick one in the box with the expensive part. www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Old December 19th 04, 07:31 PM
JazzMan

William R. Watt wrote:

> Look on my website under "Cars" for the description of changing the
> ignition control module (igniter?) on my car. I used dielectric heat sink
> paste from an electronics store, a small blister pack for $1 (Canadian)
> last spring. I did some research on it with a lot of help from people in
> this newsgroup. The distributor (pun?) of the Japanese part was Standard
> in the USA and I belive they sell the little bubble packs, their Canadian
> subsidiary Blue Streak does. At $1 a shot I don't know why they don't just
> stick one in the box with the expensive part. www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Because the real cost of that grease is far less than a
penny a shot. The little package costs more than the
contents. The reason they don't put it in is because getting
you to part with a buck for essentially 2c worth of product
is good for the bottom line.

I bought a large tube, I think 8-12 oz, for less than $10
a long time ago, it will last me the rest of my life.

Old December 19th 04, 09:04 PM
MisterSkippy

The silicone dielectric grease is what you were looking for. BTDT.
I used it under a new ignition module in my car as a heat insulator as
per the FSM. Also use it on plug wires at both ends to keep out
moisture and prevent arcing.
FWIW
YMMV
DFB

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 22:03:04 GMT, "Ropert's Aloha"
> wrote:

>> Just making su
>> Did you put heatsink compound on the device? (Radio Shack sells it) It
>> is supposed to have that stuff between the device and its mounting
>> plate. If you didn't do that, I'd suggest you redo it because it might
>> cause problems for you a while from now.

>No, Ididn't use any. None even came with the igniter I bought at Napa. I
>went to Radio Shack out here in Hawaii and the kid in the store looked like
>he had never heard of it. I searched the store and found nothing. Then I
>went to Napa and the only thing close was a Silicone Dielectric by Permatex
>for Ford and GM to protect from moisture. It didn't really mention
>protection from heat. I almost went for it, but thought maybe Comp USA would
>have something like it. I even went to Ace Hardware and they had nothing. So
>do you put the grease in between the little mounting plate that is bolted
>onto the inside of the distributor? And how much? There was a very tiny thin
>coat of a type of clear grease on it when I took it out, but didn't seem
>like it was between the mounting plate and igniter unit, but myabe it really
>was.
>
>thanks for the heads up
>
>Gary
>Hawaii

"When a legislature undertakes to proscribe the exercise of a citizen's
constitutional rights it acts lawlessly and the citizen can take matters into
his own hands and proceed on the basis that such a law is no law at all."
- Justice William O. Douglas
Old December 19th 04, 11:30 PM
William R. Watt

It's better to use "dielectric heat transfer grease".
Compare the specs to the "dielectric grease". Not the same.
The technician at Blue Streak looked at the specs on the website of the
stuff I used and said it was good but Blue Streak recommends a grease of
their own. The stuff sold at the auto parts store for spark plugs is not
the same stuff.