? on towing older powerglide trans

Old September 7th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
amishguy

Default ? on towing older powerglide trans

hello all new to this group,and i have a question on a 1972 postal
jeep ,4cly chevy 153 with a 2sp powerglide .will it be harmed by flat
towing it the 75-100 miles to its new home.i have heard that older auto
trans can have damage done because the pump is not turnning ,can any
one explane what will happen ?or is it best to remove drive shaft
thanks for any help gary foster

Old September 7th 06, 12:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"amishguy" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> hello all new to this group,and i have a question on a 1972 postal
> jeep ,4cly chevy 153 with a 2sp powerglide .will it be harmed by flat
> towing it the 75-100 miles to its new home.i have heard that older auto
> trans can have damage done because the pump is not turnning ,can any
> one explane what will happen ?or is it best to remove drive shaft
> thanks for any help gary foster

That is what traditional wisdom specifies. Apparently some transmissions
had pumps that would be activated by the driveline and provide needed
lubrication, but most of that day probably didnt. Without researching which
are which, I would say it is so easy to disconnect the driveshaft in most
cases
that I would do it as a matter of precaution.

Old September 7th 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

amishguy wrote:
> hello all new to this group,and i have a question on a 1972 postal
> jeep ,4cly chevy 153 with a 2sp powerglide .will it be harmed by flat
> towing it the 75-100 miles to its new home.i have heard that older auto
> trans can have damage done because the pump is not turnning ,can any
> one explane what will happen ?or is it best to remove drive shaft
> thanks for any help gary foster

Disconnect the shaft just to be sure. Or just rent a car trailer.

Old September 7th 06, 01:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_99_]

Most automatics cannot be towed more than 30 miles at speeds under 40
mph without risking damage. Powerglide included, if I remember right
from my '67 Chevelle's owner's manual. Drop the shaft.

--
jeffcoslacker
jeffcoslacker's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=219638

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old September 7th 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

amishguy wrote:

> hello all new to this group,and i have a question on a 1972 postal
> jeep ,4cly chevy 153 with a 2sp powerglide .will it be harmed by flat
> towing it the 75-100 miles to its new home.i have heard that older auto
> trans can have damage done because the pump is not turnning ,can any
> one explane what will happen ?or is it best to remove drive shaft
> thanks for any help gary foster

Damage can occur during towing because of residual friction in the
multi-plate clutches of an auto trans. Even when "disengaged,"
multi-plate clutch disks rub lightly against the plates and also
generate heat by shearing the fluid between the plates and disks. That's
not a problem when towing across town or below highway speed, but a
sustained high-speed tow can roast at least one clutch pack. Older
automatics (for example, Chrysler Torqueflites prior to 1966) have both
an engine-driven pump AND a driveshaft-driven pump, so that even with
the engine off there is a flow of fluid through the clutch packs to keep
them cool and lubricated if the driveshaft is turning (and you can also
push-start those cars because they'll engage the clutches and turn the
torque convertor when pushed). Later transmissions deleted the rear pump
because in 99.9999999% of all the car's life, its nothing more than a
waste of power. The compromise is that you can no longer tow them
"dinghy style", and you can't push-start them.
Old September 7th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

The driveshaft is very easy to remove, I would go that route rather than
take a chance. You can just unhook the rear u-joint and tie the shaft
up out of the way or remove both ends and take it right out.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old September 7th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_101_]

N8N Wrote:
> wrote:
> > "amishguy" > wrote in message
> > ups.com...
> > > hello all new to this group,and i have a question on a 1972 postal
> > > jeep ,4cly chevy 153 with a 2sp powerglide .will it be harmed by

> flat
> > > towing it the 75-100 miles to its new home.i have heard that older

> auto
> > > trans can have damage done because the pump is not turnning ,can

> any
> > > one explane what will happen ?or is it best to remove drive shaft
> > > thanks for any help gary foster

> > That is what traditional wisdom specifies. Apparently some

> transmissions
> > had pumps that would be activated by the driveline and provide needed
> > lubrication, but most of that day probably didnt. Without researching

> which
> > are which, I would say it is so easy to disconnect the driveshaft in

> most
> > cases
> > that I would do it as a matter of precaution.

> Agreed. You may want to invest in a tailshaft plug for the
> transmission (cheap from your local speed shop) to keep from dribbling
> fluid when you raise the front of the car. Don't just wire the
> driveshaft up under the car, that's asking for it to fall off and get
> run over.
>
> nate

Yes, don't tie it up, it can still slip out of the tranny and become a
projectile...make sure you wrap that rear u-joint up with some tape, or
the cups will fall off and your needle bearings go everywhere....

Old September 8th 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kruse

jeffcoslacker wrote:
> Most automatics cannot be towed more than 30 miles at speeds under 40
> mph without risking damage. Powerglide included, if I remember right
> from my '67 Chevelle's owner's manual. Drop the shaft.

For the record, I believe <ALL> driveshafts should be pulled when
towing a RWD vehicle for any long distances. Now with that being said,
I believe early Powerglides had the rear pump, later Powerglides did
not. I haven't worked on one for a long time, so I can't tell anyone
the cutoff date or if I'm absolutely sure on that fact. Anyone?

Old September 8th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Kruse" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> For the record, I believe <ALL> driveshafts should be pulled when
> towing a RWD vehicle for any long distances. Now with that being said,
> I believe early Powerglides had the rear pump, later Powerglides did
> not. I haven't worked on one for a long time, so I can't tell anyone
> the cutoff date or if I'm absolutely sure on that fact. Anyone?

The rear pumps were deleted by about 1966. There were several versions
of Powerglides, but I dont think anything past 1966 had the rear pumps.