Car stolen

Old May 7th 06, 05:57 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Car stolen

This is the part I almost didn't want to talk about.

When I was shopping at the store, I have lost my key while I was
pulling out other things, like my wallet in my pocket. I didn't
realize I lost them until I walked to my car in the parking lot. As
soon as I noticed I did not have the keys with me, I went back inside
the store, retrace my steps and areas where I may have lost it in, but
had no luck.

I checked with front desk and no one has seen it or turned them in. As
soon as I walked back out in the parking lot, the car was gone.

William

Old May 7th 06, 08:34 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On 7 May 2006 09:57:11 -0700, "weng94" > wrote:

>When I was shopping at the store, I have lost my key while I was
>pulling out other things, like my wallet in my pocket. I didn't
>realize I lost them until I walked to my car in the parking lot. As
>soon as I noticed I did not have the keys with me, I went back inside
>the store, retrace my steps and areas where I may have lost it in, but
>had no luck.
>
>I checked with front desk and no one has seen it or turned them in. As
>soon as I walked back out in the parking lot, the car was gone.

This is good news in a couple of ways:
1) Me - and I imagine other owners - are now breathing a bit easier
knowing the cars aren't quite that easy to steal.
2) This means your car was likely a theft of opportunity, and it
will likely be abandoned as soon as it inconveniences the thieves in
some way - like needs gas. It might be sitting somewhere already,
waiting for someone to consider it abandoned
epbrown
--
"Everybody wants a normal life and a cool car;
most people will settle for the car." Chris Titus
Old May 7th 06, 10:33 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"weng94" > wrote in
oups.com:

> I don't have pictures, but the car is white with California plates#
> 4XNS606. Car is all stock with chrome license plate frames with the
> bmw logo. Beige interior.
>
> Car is stolen from San Jose, CA at the Walmart shopping center on 777
> Story Road.
>
> William

There are a number of 2002 white 325i s on craigslist.. maybe one is yours!
http://www.craigslist.org/cgi-bin/se...D=0&query=bmw+
325i&catAbbreviation=sss&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max
Old May 8th 06, 11:08 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

This brings up the question of fitting a tracker device.

I asked by insurance (UK) what discount they would give me if I fitted a
tracker to my fairly valuable car. It certainly did not cover the cost of
acquisition and fitting. I can't remember if the annual subscription was
covered, but the overall impression was that such thefts were not
significant in the global insurance costs.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the tracker doesn't always
work, e.g. if the car is taken away in a lorry and/or is stored in a covered
building?

DAS

---

[...]

Old May 8th 06, 01:23 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

weng94 wrote:
> This is the part I almost didn't want to talk about.
>
> When I was shopping at the store, I have lost my key while I was
> pulling out other things, like my wallet in my pocket. I didn't
> realize I lost them until I walked to my car in the parking lot. As
> soon as I noticed I did not have the keys with me, I went back inside
> the store, retrace my steps and areas where I may have lost it in, but
> had no luck.
>
> I checked with front desk and no one has seen it or turned them in. As
> soon as I walked back out in the parking lot, the car was gone.
>
> William

I have a hypothesis: You may have been distracted or whatever, but you
left the keys in the car and went into the store. When you came out of
the store and couldn't find the keys in your pocket that was because
they were never in your pocket.

But don't let the insurance company hear about my hypothesis... ;-)

--
-Fred W
Old May 9th 06, 12:01 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

In article >,
Lordy > wrote:
>On Sat, 06 May 2006 09:28:53 +0000, Richard Sexton wrote:
>
>> In article .com>, weng94
>> > wrote:
>>>
>>>My beloved 02 325i has been stolen last week of Sunday. It's a bummer,
>>>because I don't know if I'll be able to get another one after everything
>>>is settled with insurance. Car is still not recovered.

>> No so fast. They have an obligation to "make you whole". They will dick
>> with you but they have to replace what you lost. Be polite but firm and
>> research the topic a bit.

>Yup, different situation, but in the UK if a car is "uneconomical to
>repair" the insurance offer you a sum of money for what they think is the
>market value. The first offer, you can usually reject as it's too low.
>
>Sorry about the car.

Ah.

But isn't there a difference in market price between a clapped out old
hunk and a desirable model fstidiouslky maintained?

And any market value that's fair should allow you to buy another one
in roughly the same state, no?

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old May 9th 06, 12:03 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

In article >,
Fred W > wrote:
>Richard Sexton wrote:
>> In article .com>,
>> weng94 > wrote:
>>
>>>My beloved 02 325i has been stolen last week of Sunday. It's a bummer,
>>>because I don't know if I'll be able to get another one after
>>>everything is settled with insurance. Car is still not recovered.

>> No so fast. They have an obligation to "make you whole". They will
>> dick with you but they have to replace what you lost. Be polite but
>> firm and research the topic a bit.
>>

>Not necessarily true.
>
>In the US, Fire, Theft and Collision insurance is not compulsory. Only
>liability insurance is (medical and damage to others). For many people
>with older cars it does not make economic sense to carry anything more
>than the required liability coverage. Additionally, even if one does
>buy the comprehensive coverage, there are varying optional deductibles.
> If you have, say a $500 deductible and the car is only worth a few
>thousand you could very well find yourself unable to buy a "like
>replacement" with the proceeds.

Well, sure, with insurance you get what you pay for. Sorta.

If it's that old maybe vintage car insurance is the thing to do. ou
tanks have it easy there it's had to find up here in Canada (but I did
find it. $150/yr for my 633; full replacement value).

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old May 9th 06, 12:04 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

In article .com>,
weng94 > wrote:
>I don't have pictures, but the car is white with California plates#
>4XNS606. Car is all stock with chrome license plate frames with the
>bmw logo. Beige interior.

Uh, yeah but aren't chances high it's now red with a balck interior
and in Brazil? Or that the body panels now grace the chassis of
some mobsters car in Moscow?

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old May 9th 06, 12:14 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

In article >,
E Brown > wrote:
>On 7 May 2006 09:57:11 -0700, "weng94" > wrote:
>>
>>When I was shopping at the store, I have lost my key while I was
>>pulling out other things, like my wallet in my pocket. I didn't
>>realize I lost them until I walked to my car in the parking lot. As
>>soon as I noticed I did not have the keys with me, I went back inside
>>the store, retrace my steps and areas where I may have lost it in, but
>>had no luck.
>>
>>I checked with front desk and no one has seen it or turned them in. As
>>soon as I walked back out in the parking lot, the car was gone.
>>

> This is good news in a couple of ways:
> 1) Me - and I imagine other owners - are now breathing a bit easier
>knowing the cars aren't quite that easy to steal.
> 2) This means your car was likely a theft of opportunity, and it
>will likely be abandoned as soon as it inconveniences the thieves in
>some way - like needs gas. It might be sitting somewhere already,
>waiting for someone to consider it abandoned
> epbrown

That wasn't my first thought. Chop shop in Tijuana.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old May 9th 06, 04:23 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

For sure, I had my keys with me when I went to the store. I remembered
for sure. Also, I locked my car with the keyless key remote, which is
why I could not get inside the car when I first went out. As soon as I
went inside the store to look for the keys and had no luck, went back
outside and the car was gone.

William

Fred W wrote:
> weng94 wrote:
> > This is the part I almost didn't want to talk about.
> >
> > When I was shopping at the store, I have lost my key while I was
> > pulling out other things, like my wallet in my pocket. I didn't
> > realize I lost them until I walked to my car in the parking lot. As
> > soon as I noticed I did not have the keys with me, I went back inside
> > the store, retrace my steps and areas where I may have lost it in, but
> > had no luck.
> >
> > I checked with front desk and no one has seen it or turned them in. As
> > soon as I walked back out in the parking lot, the car was gone.
> >
> > William

> I have a hypothesis: You may have been distracted or whatever, but you
> left the keys in the car and went into the store. When you came out of
> the store and couldn't find the keys in your pocket that was because
> they were never in your pocket.
>
> But don't let the insurance company hear about my hypothesis... ;-)
>
> --
> -Fred W

Stolen Honda CRV Key (immobilizer) Lance Honda 2 January 6th 06 04:34 PM
Stolen Jeep update Carl Jeep 12 December 31st 05 07:47 PM
Top Stolen Cars: Dodge Intrepid and Stratus/Sebring Greg Houston Chrysler 11 August 29th 05 10:05 PM
Md.: Carjack suspect reports 'his' car stolen John David Galt Driving 3 May 7th 05 04:06 AM
LOOK OUT FOR STOLEN PLATES MA 7631TL Dave C. Driving 10 January 7th 05 02:18 AM