degreasing old tools

Old February 22nd 05, 01:51 AM
Brent P

Default degreasing old tools

I have what were my grandfather's tools. A mix of snap on, SK, craftsman,
various cheapos, other brands that look like quality tools but the names
I haven't seen anywhere else. Anyway almost all of them are coated in
grease and dirt from many years of use without cleaning. The sockets
have grease and dirt caked inside. As I go through cleaning them, each
one seems dirtier than the next. It is taking far too long to clean them.

Anyone know of any good cleaners/degreasers that would work well in
getting them clean? Something I can just soak them in that would at least
take most of the grime off?

thanks

Old February 22nd 05, 01:56 AM
Nate Nagel

Brent P wrote:

> I have what were my grandfather's tools. A mix of snap on, SK, craftsman,
> various cheapos, other brands that look like quality tools but the names
> I haven't seen anywhere else. Anyway almost all of them are coated in
> grease and dirt from many years of use without cleaning. The sockets
> have grease and dirt caked inside. As I go through cleaning them, each
> one seems dirtier than the next. It is taking far too long to clean them.
>
> Anyone know of any good cleaners/degreasers that would work well in
> getting them clean? Something I can just soak them in that would at least
> take most of the grime off?
>
> thanks

The eco-weenies will go nuts, but kerosene works well and as a bonus
leaves a little protective wax coating on them.

For the REALLY dirty tools, Berkebile 2+2 carb cleaner is the all
purpose, cleans-everything solvent. Don't spray it anywhere near paint!
It'll eat plastic screwdriver handles as well.

If that doesn't work, a bucket of carb dip is the ticket, but it'll eat
anything that's not 100% metal.

good luck

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old February 22nd 05, 02:00 AM
sdlomi2

"Brent P" > wrote in message

> I have what were my grandfather's tools. A mix of snap on, SK, craftsman,
> various cheapos, other brands that look like quality tools but the names
> I haven't seen anywhere else. Anyway almost all of them are coated in
> grease and dirt from many years of use without cleaning. The sockets
> have grease and dirt caked inside. As I go through cleaning them, each
> one seems dirtier than the next. It is taking far too long to clean them.
>
> Anyone know of any good cleaners/degreasers that would work well in
> getting them clean? Something I can just soak them in that would at least
> take most of the grime off?
>
> thanks

Tried a bucket of gasoline & a parts cleaning brush, VERY CAREFULLY? If
u feel u need a solvent, buy some Gunk engine de-greaser. Got a GOOD friend
with a solvent tank--may not be friends afterwards, but it'll clean nicely!
Lacquer thinner, cheapest available, works well. (If any of these
suggestions don't suffice, how much for the tools, grease included?) s

Old February 22nd 05, 02:04 AM
John Harlow

> Anyone know of any good cleaners/degreasers that would work well in
> getting them clean? Something I can just soak them in that would at
> least take most of the grime off?

You might see if a local service station will let you use their parts
cleaner for a reasonable price.

Old February 22nd 05, 02:26 AM
Daniel J. Stern

Run 'em through the dishwasher.

Old February 22nd 05, 02:27 AM
Nate Nagel

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> Run 'em through the dishwasher.

You're single, aren't you?

nate

(tried that with some old hubcaps once...)

Old February 22nd 05, 02:40 AM
sdlomi2

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> Daniel J. Stern wrote:
>
> > Run 'em through the dishwasher.
> >

> You're single, aren't you?
>
> nate
>
> (tried that with some old hubcaps once...)

Bet you're single after that!!! s

Old February 22nd 05, 02:42 AM
Brent P

In article ich.edu>, Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> Run 'em through the dishwasher.

I like my dishwasher. But the thought did cross my mind.

Old February 22nd 05, 02:47 AM
Ad absurdum per aspera

Try a good overnight soak in something like Simple Green and then put
on your rubber gloves and safety glasses and have at 'em with a retired
toothbrush.

>> dishwasher

> You're single, aren't you?

Putting Grampa's socket wrenches in an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner is
probably the gold standard in being single, or becoming so.

Actually the dishwasher isn't that bad an idea (NOT after using
petrochemical cleaners, please), but you'll have to rescue them
immediately for an oil bath or you'll see rust a-plenty.

: other brands that look like quality tools but the names
: I haven't seen anywhere else.

There have been some good brands come and go. I'm still using a few
hand tools from Diamond Calk Horseshoe Co. after my dad put them
through a half century of break-in, for instance. Lots of memories
of being taught not only how but why to do things right, there.

The years have also seen a lot of junk brands come and go. Hey, that
way you get to stock a tool roll for each car without raiding your
working supply.

Cheers,
--Joe

Old February 22nd 05, 03:14 AM
Brent P

In article .com>, Ad absurdum per aspera wrote:
> Try a good overnight soak in something like Simple Green and then put
> on your rubber gloves and safety glasses and have at 'em with a retired
> toothbrush.

That's what I've been doing. SLOW process. It's taking a couple days of
soaking and repeated brushing and finishing off with chrome cleaner. It
does work, it just takes too long.

thanks for the suggestions. I may go get some kerosene. I tried the only
carb cleaner I have on hand (just regular ol' gumout), seems to do as
well as the simple green but faster. Will know after the socket soaks in
there for some time longer.

MotorHead Tools now has an online store too! MotorHead Ford Mustang 1 January 28th 05 01:03 PM
What brand of tools favored by pros? Roger Sircar Chrysler 11 November 15th 04 03:50 PM
Audi Special tools ~ ElektraMan ~ Audi 4 November 3rd 04 09:33 PM
EXCESS TOOL INVENTORY- SPX/OTC-SERVICE SOLUTIONS TOOLS Kirk Rocheford-All World, Inc. Dodge 0 October 18th 04 05:37 PM