Running Rough...

Old October 22nd 04, 12:56 AM
VW Golf Cart

Default Running Rough...

OK, I'm at my last nerve with this car!

1997 VW Golf K2 1.8l 5spd.

Having Gas mileage issues, like only 200 kms a tank.
Back fires a lot in the morning.
Misfires mostly when cold, but occurs when warm as well.
Hard time starting in the mornings, sometimes 2-3 trys.
Really bad smell of unburnt fuel all the time.
Bad hesitation.

I've changed the TB to Intake Manifold gasket.
Changed the Coolant Temperature Sensor.
Changed the Plugs.

What's my next step without causing me a small fortune.

Wires, Cap, Rotor and fuel filter are about a year and a half old.
Car has gutted cat (from previous owner).
Has 227,xxx kms.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve Cornick

Old October 22nd 04, 02:15 AM
Darryl

>OK, I'm at my last nerve with this car!
>
>1997 VW Golf K2 1.8l 5spd.
>
>Having Gas mileage issues, like only 200 kms a tank.
>Back fires a lot in the morning.
>Misfires mostly when cold, but occurs when warm as well.
>Hard time starting in the mornings, sometimes 2-3 trys.
>Really bad smell of unburnt fuel all the time.
>Bad hesitation.
>
>I've changed the TB to Intake Manifold gasket.
>Changed the Coolant Temperature Sensor.
>Changed the Plugs.
>
>What's my next step without causing me a small fortune.
>
>Wires, Cap, Rotor and fuel filter are about a year and a half old.
>Car has gutted cat (from previous owner).
>Has 227,xxx kms.
>
>Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Since you've replaced the coolant temperature sensor, disconnect the
O2 sensor (follow the wiring from the exhaust manifold or catalytic
convertor) and start the car. Does it run smoother? If so, replace
the sensor and have a VW shop set the ignition timing and exhaust
gases.

Darryl.
Old October 22nd 04, 08:50 AM
Nik&Andy

I would agree, check the Lambda sensor, you may not have a cat anymore, but
the lambda sensor still checks your fuel mixture is correct.

You may also want to get the coils(s) checked and the cambelt checked, it is
very common to have a cambelt badly fitted, just one notch out can cause
backfires etc... - I have known people get rid of seemingly knackered cars
only to find out it was nothing.

the only other device I can think of that effects timing is the crankshaft
sensor....

Andy

Old October 23rd 04, 05:42 AM
Matt B.

"VW Golf Cart" > wrote in message
> OK, I'm at my last nerve with this car!
>
> 1997 VW Golf K2 1.8l 5spd.
>
> Having Gas mileage issues, like only 200 kms a tank.
> Back fires a lot in the morning.
> Misfires mostly when cold, but occurs when warm as well.
> Hard time starting in the mornings, sometimes 2-3 trys.
> Really bad smell of unburnt fuel all the time.
> Bad hesitation.
>
> I've changed the TB to Intake Manifold gasket.
> Changed the Coolant Temperature Sensor.
> Changed the Plugs.
>
> What's my next step without causing me a small fortune.
>
> Wires, Cap, Rotor and fuel filter are about a year and a half old.
> Car has gutted cat (from previous owner).
> Has 227,xxx kms.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated!

A 1.8? Not too familiar with those engines since we didn't get those in US
A3 VWs but IIRC those engines retained some form of Digifant injection
(similar to the A2s), no? If so, check/replace the fuel pressure regulator
on the end of the fuel rail. If the FPR is bad it allows too much fuel into
the engine.

Old October 27th 04, 11:44 AM
ronh

I am concerned about the amount of wheel noise coming from my 91 passat
wagon. What are the symptoms of wheel bearing failure?

If the bearing are gone I would like to replace them soon before it gets
too cold.

Ron Hoppe
Ottawa, Canada

91 VW Passat
87 924S Porsche
69 Rover 3500S

Old October 27th 04, 01:56 PM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, ronh wrote:

>I am concerned about the amount of wheel noise coming from my 91 passat
>wagon. What are the symptoms of wheel bearing failure?

For me it sounded like I was driving with really rough tread snow
tires. It occurred right after getting tires changed form me.
Aluminum wheels were hard to remove from the hubs. Rather than using
a wheel puller, the tire installer used pry bar and hammer.

>If the bearing are gone I would like to replace them soon before it gets
>too cold.

Can you trace the sound to one or more wheels? Rear would be easier
than the front.

Old October 28th 04, 07:38 AM
Matt B.

"ronh" > wrote in message
.. .

> I am concerned about the amount of wheel noise coming from my 91 passat
> wagon. What are the symptoms of wheel bearing failure?

Has happened twice on my A2 and it sounded like a "rrrrrrrrrrrr" that was
entirely speed dependent. Had nothing to do with engine speed or in gear
vs. neutral. I even rotated my tires to see if the noise "moved" to the
other end of the car and it didn't so that's what I decided it was the wheel
bearing.

Old October 29th 04, 01:34 AM
Peter Parker

In article >,
VW Golf Cart > wrote:
>Now he's narrowed it down to the O2 Sensor. I have the 1 wire on there,
>needs the 3 wire. More money to spend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It sounds like this is the first time this car ever got any replacement
parts...

LOL!!!!!

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old October 29th 04, 02:19 AM
Darryl

>Now he's narrowed it down to the O2 Sensor. I have the 1 wire on there,
>needs the 3 wire. More money to spend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I said replace the sensor, I meant for you to replace it with the
correct sensor. ;-) Does anyone know if the cheap Bosch 13913 sensor
fits A3s (it works mint in my '89)?

Darryl.

E36 318i, Running rough yvette dickerson BMW 2 January 6th 05 08:13 PM
running rough donsilsbee Dodge 0 October 25th 04 08:37 PM
93 Caravan running rough saabturbo Dodge 8 October 17th 04 04:28 AM
Rough running T T Lee Jordan Audi 2 August 1st 04 11:09 AM