E46 M3 convertible top

Old January 25th 05, 10:17 PM
Sean Lee

Default E46 M3 convertible top

Does anyone have problem with squeaking noise because of the convertible top
of M3? Almost to a point its annoying because of the noise it makes whenever
car hits a little bump. My car is 2004 with 11K miles.
Dealer says there is no cure for it but as usual I do not believe that.

Old January 26th 05, 07:26 AM
TonyK

"Sean Lee" > wrote in message
> Does anyone have problem with squeaking noise because of the convertible

top
> of M3? Almost to a point its annoying because of the noise it makes

whenever
> car hits a little bump. My car is 2004 with 11K miles.
> Dealer says there is no cure for it but as usual I do not believe that.

You're right to not believe them. There is a specific service action for
squeaking hoods and windows where the dealer cleans the seals and glass then
applys a lubrcant called "Gummi Fledge" (sp). Tell them to look on their TIS
and they'll find it. Its worth buying a tube of the stuff yourself from them
just to get rid of the squeaks as they appear, only a few £/$

Old January 26th 05, 08:42 PM
Don

Sean Lee wrote:

> Does anyone have problem with squeaking noise because of the convertible top
> of M3? Almost to a point its annoying because of the noise it makes whenever
> car hits a little bump. My car is 2004 with 11K miles.
> Dealer says there is no cure for it but as usual I do not believe that.

See if the dealers parts department still has any BMW "Gummiphledge."
This is a silicone grease in an easy to use applicator.

Put the top partway down - and use the Gummiphledge on all rubber seals
and parts. Leave a very thin coating on any surfaces that contact other
surfaces.

Your noises will now go away. My '98 M3C was horrible when I got it -
and absolutely quiet now.

I understand Gummiphledge has been discontinued by BMW, but I was able
to find it from another source (actually in the manufacturer's tube)
after doing a web-search on it.

HTH
Old January 26th 05, 10:04 PM
Don

Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

> Gummipflege? (Rubber care)
>
> DAS

Yes. RubberCare. Silicone grease is a good protector of rubber and
provides some minimal lubrication without attacking the rubber as may
other greases will.

Good stuff.
Old January 28th 05, 09:26 PM
330xi

generic silicone spray is excellent and very inexpensive from your auto or
hardware store.

i treat all rubber seals twice a year, keeps them from aging as well