Its been fun guys

Old January 25th 05, 01:47 AM
Jan Andersson

Another vote for Mozilla Firefox.

And against AOL.

Jan

Old January 25th 05, 01:51 AM
Mike64Bug

teranews is another "free" service. They used to charge some sort of small fee to get started. It's my back up news
service.

Old January 25th 05, 02:05 AM
Mike64Bug

> Another vote for Mozilla Firefox.
>
> And against AOL.
>
> Jan

I.E. is losing ground....slowly.

Old January 25th 05, 02:56 AM
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

On 1/24/2005 10:38 AM Bill Berckman wrote:

> Got the following message from AOL. Been on Ramva for 8 Years
>
> Please Note: The AOL Newsgroup service will be discontinued in early 2005.

Time for the training wheels to come off. Get a real ISP, use Firefox as
your browser, and Thunderbird as your e-mail/newsgroup software.
www.mozilla.com is where you get the latter two, check your local
listings for a good ISP. In my neck of the woods I use adelphia, because
along with my cable TV stuff, they also provide high-speed Internet access.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus

You know you're getting old when you stop to tie your shoes
and wonder what else you can do while you're down there.
------------------------------------
Old January 25th 05, 11:20 AM
george

Bill Berckman wrote:
> Got the following message from AOL. Been on Ramva for 8 Years
>
> Please Note: The AOL Newsgroup service will be discontinued in early 2005.
>
> For members using AOL over a dial-up connection, you will no longer be able to
> access Newsgroups. If you have a separate high-speed connection, you can
> contact your broadband provider to see if they offer Newsgroups.
> Bill Berckman
> 67 Beetle

This is what I use; it works well and is free:
http://www.individual.net/

Old January 25th 05, 02:20 PM
sam_w

I also am an AOL user and have transferred to Google Newsgroups. It
seems to work fine

Sam
63 singlecab

Old January 25th 05, 06:26 PM
Seth Graham

On 2005-01-25, Mike64Bug > wrote:
>> Another vote for Mozilla Firefox.
>>
>> And against AOL.
>>
>> Jan

> I.E. is losing ground....slowly.

In the past month or so, gecko based browsers (mozilla, firefox)
finally overtook IE browsers in visits to my website.. 43.61%
gecko, 41.05% IE. Remaining percentage was various other browsers.

This on a site that gets ~7k hits per day, with ~8000 unique IP's
visiting in a month.

Don't know if that's a fair sample of the internet but it was
nice to see.

Old January 25th 05, 08:20 PM
Bill B.

Thanks for the tip about Google. Am posting from there now.
Messageboard through AOL have been going downhill for the last month or
so. Was only getting a couple of messages a day, and sometimes none.

Old January 26th 05, 03:20 AM
Ben Boyle

Good to hear. I wouldn't let AOL keep me away from a freakin newsgroup.

Old January 26th 05, 07:36 AM
ThaDriver

Gee AOL sucks worse every day! Why are you (& anyone else) still with
them?
I access the groups via http://www.talkaboutautos.com
http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/....vw.aircooled/
~ Paul