1997 SC2 hood rusting from underneath

Old November 30th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
evilman1987

Default 1997 SC2 hood rusting from underneath

My 1997 Saturn SC2's hood is rusting from underneath. I guess it's
been happening for a while, because there are a few spots where the
top surface is bubbled up. Is there anything I can do to prevent it
from getting worse, and can I replace the hood myself? Where would I
get a replacement hood and do they come in colors or would I have to
paint it to match?

Thanks to anyone who can help me come up with a reasonable solution to
this problem.
Old November 30th 07, 01:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_6_]

Try this stuff or one of the similar formulations of rust reformers
Permatex 81849 - Permatex Rust Treatment
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0002_125086_-1

Loctite Extend
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/produ...y.asp?catID=13

Degrease the surface and throughly dry. Remove any loose flaking rust and
then spray or brush on the compound (mind the ambient temperature). Should
take two coats and the compound changes from a milky white to a black
wherever there was rust. This will seal and stabilize the rusted area. Can
be left as is or painted over following drying period.

Hope this helps

Old November 30th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Private

"evilman1987" > wrote in message
> My 1997 Saturn SC2's hood is rusting from underneath. I guess it's
> been happening for a while, because there are a few spots where the
> top surface is bubbled up. Is there anything I can do to prevent it
> from getting worse, and can I replace the hood myself? Where would I
> get a replacement hood and do they come in colors or would I have to
> paint it to match?
>
> Thanks to anyone who can help me come up with a reasonable solution to
> this problem.

If the hood really is rusting through from the underside then there is
nothing that will save it economically. Inner fenders, shock and strut
towers and the undersides of hoods can collect salt if not washed regularly.

If the rust is from water that has worked under the paint from rock chips
commonly found near the front edge, then the rust treatments Oppie suggest
can help but the entire hood will require repainting. There are clear and
colored coatings such as 'gravel guard' that are often applied to the front
edge of the hood and lower rocker panels and other areas of metal that are
exposed to gravel chipping.

The best and most economical repair will be to obtain a replacement hood
from a 'do it yourself' auto wrecker. It is a simple job and you can
practice when you remove the replacement hood. Look for one the same color
as your car and no paint will be required. IIRC I paid <$15 for the last
one I purchased. While you are at it you can get other parts like the cowl
screen and wiper trim and blades and inner fenders that are probably better
than the ones on your car. If you are more ambitious then take the plug
wires, coil packs, alternator and starter and maybe the headlights. This
will guarantee that yours will never need replacement as 'nothing with a
spare ever breaks'.

Good luck YMMV

Old December 1st 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
JS[_4_]

I just wanted to drop you both a quick thank-you. I will research
both of these solutions. It is definitely bubbling through from the
underside, rather than from a chip. I noticed the bubbling a long
time ago. It didn't appear to be rust at the time, and I assumed some
caustic chemical had dripped onto the hood somewhere causing it. By
the time I thought to check the underside, the rust under there was
pretty bad and now there is some more bubbling.

I've never heard of a do it yourself auto wrecker, but that seems like
an interesting solution and I'll look into it... Will report back!

Thanks Oppie and Private!
Old December 2nd 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Private

"JS" > wrote in message
>I just wanted to drop you both a quick thank-you. I will research
> both of these solutions. It is definitely bubbling through from the
> underside, rather than from a chip. I noticed the bubbling a long
> time ago. It didn't appear to be rust at the time, and I assumed some
> caustic chemical had dripped onto the hood somewhere causing it. By
> the time I thought to check the underside, the rust under there was
> pretty bad and now there is some more bubbling.
>
> I've never heard of a do it yourself auto wrecker, but that seems like
> an interesting solution and I'll look into it... Will report back!
>
> Thanks Oppie and Private!

Sounds like a replacement hood will be your best option. This is where we
wish that the hoods were plastic and not steel. A new one is ~$375. plus
the cost of paint which can be expensive from a body shop. If you shop
carefully you should be able to find a good used one that is the right
color. Normal full service auto wreckers try to get 1/2 of new price but
YMMV. I suggest that you do not tell them what color you need until after
they quote a price.

Self serve auto wreckers are very popular here and are a good source of
bargain parts. Look for names like 'Pick Your Part' or 'Pick-N-Pull'
http://www.picknpull.com
If you give them your Email address they will send you a notice when they
are having a half price day. 1/2 off days are a great time to get a new set
of rims for your good winter tires, the complete tire and rim will be less
than the regular cost of mounting and there are often some very good tires
if you get there early. You will be lucky to get a full set of 4 but good
pairs are quite common. Wear out your worst tires in the summer and mount
new winter tires in the fall then remove them in the spring to save the
tread.

The current throw away society has resulted in cars going to the wreckers
that seem to have nothing wrong with them and would certainly have been
repaired in the past. Many have far less mileage than the cars that are
continuing to give me great service and which I expect to get much more
from.

Good luck YMMV

Old December 2nd 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Bob Shuman

I picked up a 1996 SL hood that was in excellent condition and matched the
color of the vehicle for $50 at a local U-Pull-It salvage yard.

Bob

Old December 4th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
jimhigh66

Was the hood rusting underneath the sound insulation mat ? ( My daugther
has a 97 SC2 and I'm wondering if I should pull the mat loose to check ?
)

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/...makers.saturn/
More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

Old December 6th 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
JS[_4_]

On Dec 4, 12:39 pm, "jimhigh66" > wrote:
> Was the hood rusting underneath the sound insulation mat ? ( My daugther
> has a 97 SC2 and I'm wondering if I should pull the mat loose to check ?
> )
>
> --
> Message posted usinghttp://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/rec.autos.makers.saturn/
> More information athttp://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

Yeah, I would check that! We kind of let it sit a lot, it's our
second car, so I'm guessing maybe condensation built up on top of the
insulation, that normally (hopefully) would have periodically gotten
evaporated by the heat of the engine.

I definitely have to check out these self-serve salvage yards.

Right Rear rusting Vic Klein Ford Explorer 0 April 23rd 07 05:13 PM
Rusting welded joints ekp VW water cooled 6 August 30th 06 02:20 PM
LOUD "BANG"noise from underneath! Help! 97' V8 AWD XLT Explorer RevRob Ford Explorer 4 April 7th 06 02:02 PM
2004 Pacifica Rusting God Chrysler 1 August 6th 05 12:52 AM
BMW E36 (1997 P ) broken front HOOD release CABLE SERPICOMANmlt BMW 0 March 23rd 05 10:01 AM