Clutch Adjustment Possible

Old March 30th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Clutch Adjustment Possible

I recently purchased a '90 Miata with 91,000 original miles and the
clutch engages about 1 inch off of the floorboard. A new clutch,
pressure plate and throw out bearing were installed about two years ago
as well as a new clutch slave cylinder. I stopped by the local Mazda
dealer and the Service Manager said the clutch was not adjustable and
that as the new clutch wears in, the pedal will start to rise up.
Anyone have this experience? All advise is welcome.

Wileyman in Gainesville

Old March 30th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article .com>,
"Wileyman" > wrote:

> I recently purchased a '90 Miata with 91,000 original miles and the
> clutch engages about 1 inch off of the floorboard. A new clutch,
> pressure plate and throw out bearing were installed about two years ago
> as well as a new clutch slave cylinder. I stopped by the local Mazda
> dealer and the Service Manager said the clutch was not adjustable and
> that as the new clutch wears in, the pedal will start to rise up.
> Anyone have this experience? All advise is welcome.
>
> Wileyman in Gainesville

Service manager has his head up his ass. You're describing a
malfunctioning clutch. My first guess: Master cylinder is shot.

Assuming that the clutch was changed, and the car was actually driven,
rather than just sitting there doing nothing, two years is *WAY* more
than plenty of time for any "wear-in" effect that's going to come into
play to have happened.

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
Old March 30th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On 30 Mar 2006 08:54:21 -0800, "Wileyman" >
wrote:

>I recently purchased a '90 Miata with 91,000 original miles and the
>clutch engages about 1 inch off of the floorboard. A new clutch,
>pressure plate and throw out bearing were installed about two years ago
>as well as a new clutch slave cylinder. I stopped by the local Mazda
>dealer and the Service Manager said the clutch was not adjustable and
>that as the new clutch wears in, the pedal will start to rise up.
>Anyone have this experience? All advise is welcome.
>
>Wileyman in Gainesville

The service manager is right about the clutch not being adjustable.
The clutch pedal (at least in my '99) has some adjustment of it's
engagement with the clutch master cylinder. It sounds like either the
MC is in poor shape or there is air in the system. Did it engage like
this BEFORE the new clutch was put in?
Old March 31st 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Who installed the new clutch? Was it a stock or aftermarket clutch?
Have you checked the slave for leakage? (fluid inside the rubber billows)
Is the clutch fluid clean or black in the master cylinder tank.
It would be a very good idea to bleed the system and make sure that there is
no air in it.
It certainly is possible that the master cylinder is bad and needs a rebuild
or replacement.

Finally, some of the aftermarket clutches behave as you mentioned, with
fairly quick engagement, and operate with the pedal close to the floor. It
may be possible to adjust the master cylinder rod to take up some of the
play, but don't overdue it.

"Wileyman" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I recently purchased a '90 Miata with 91,000 original miles and the
> clutch engages about 1 inch off of the floorboard. A new clutch,
> pressure plate and throw out bearing were installed about two years ago
> as well as a new clutch slave cylinder. I stopped by the local Mazda
> dealer and the Service Manager said the clutch was not adjustable and
> that as the new clutch wears in, the pedal will start to rise up.
> Anyone have this experience? All advise is welcome.
>
> Wileyman in Gainesville

Adjustment of new clutch azazel scratch VW air cooled 2 March 11th 06 06:57 PM
squeaking clutch at friction point sandheep Mazda 26 February 17th 06 01:30 PM
92 1.8l clutch adjustment Shawn Mazda 0 July 19th 05 02:35 PM
'95 328i Clutch Adjustment Paul Gilowey BMW 17 February 21st 05 12:03 PM
e36 clutch pedal adjustment question P-u-h-e-k BMW 1 October 11th 04 11:41 PM