Automatic Seat Belts Stopped Working

Old December 28th 05, 09:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

Default Automatic Seat Belts Stopped Working

Help! The altenator in my 1990 Honda Civic DX went out and the last
thing to die was the automatic seat belts on both driver and passenger
side. I replaced the altenator and everything is working except the
seat belts. The seat belt warning light stays on red and a constant
warning sound is on while I'm driving.

I did some research and I also have the problem with my car not
starting if it is too hot. I usually just hose the hood down and then
it starts right up but I'm wondering if I have a relay problem and if
it might be connected to the problem with the seat belts. I have
150,000 miles on the car and it normally runs very well. I briefly
talked to a mechanic at a Honda dealership about the "lifetime"
warranty on the seat belts...what a joke! He told me it only applied
if it was determined that the seat belts were "faulty" (manufacturer
defect). He told me it could be electrical. Either way, he told me it
would cost $90 just to have a mechanic "LOOK" at the vehicle.

This jus seems to me like it must be a simple problem. Can someone
give me some guideance on what to do to troubleshoot this?

Old December 28th 05, 10:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

> wrote
> Help! The altenator in my 1990 Honda Civic DX went out

and the last
> thing to die was the automatic seat belts on both driver

and passenger
> side. I replaced the altenator and everything is working

except the
> seat belts. The seat belt warning light stays on red and

a constant
> warning sound is on while I'm driving.

> I did some research and I also have the problem with my

car not
> starting if it is too hot. I usually just hose the hood

down and then
> it starts right up but I'm wondering if I have a relay

problem and if
> it might be connected to the problem with the seat belts.

I doubt they're connected.

Sure sounds like the notorious main relay problem. If it's
never been replaced/repaired on your car, I would be reading

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/start...html#mainrelay

and

http://techauto.tripod.com/mainrelay.htm

> I have
> 150,000 miles on the car and it normally runs very well.

I briefly
> talked to a mechanic at a Honda dealership about the

"lifetime"
> warranty on the seat belts...what a joke! He told me it

only applied
> if it was determined that the seat belts were "faulty"

(manufacturer
> defect).

I think he's wrong. Go to another dealer, or call Honda's
800 number. The automatic belts failing to operate was
covered under warranty on my 1991 Civic in 2001. The dealer
quickly figured out that they were, with no prodding or word
from me. It took the dealer a week or so to fix it (despite
repeated promises of 'it will be ready tomorrow,' and
despite their busting my radio antenna in the process), but
they got it done.

Seat belts are mentioned on my warranty card (which of
course came with the car when I bought it new many years
ago) as a lifetime item.

Old December 29th 05, 04:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

There are 2 fuses on the positive terminal of the battery that are for
the passive restraint system; one for driver and one for passenger.
Check these before you head to another dealer..

I have an intermittant problem with my passenger belt and recently had
to drive 2 hrs on christmas eve with that damn *beep*beep*beep*, so I
feel your pain.