Starter for chevy 350, PLEASE HELP

Old September 6th 05, 12:10 AM
34coupe

Default Starter for chevy 350, PLEASE HELP

Hi, I am backyard mechanic, I put new haedgaskets on neighbors truck, now
car wont start, I heard what I thought was starter hitting flexplate and
not it groves, this could happened by my leveraging the exhaust out of the
way to get to head lower head bolts. I pulled the starter out of the way
and cranked it just to see if starter was bad, it moves the gears move out
as expected but the rotation is only minimal. My question is shouldn't the
starter gears rotate at least one or two full turns or does it need back
pressure from flexplate to rotate that much. I am not sure what to do and
dont want to have to buy new starter if not needed, I have diagoned it as
needing a new starter, but I am a novice. Please help
John

Old September 6th 05, 12:23 AM

If you actuate the starter while it is not engaging a flywheel, it should
spin up like crazy.
If yours isn't, then yank it out of there and have it checked at a starter
shop.

Remember that you have shims on GM products that position the starter
correctly with respect
to the flywheel. Don't remove and lose those shims as you will need them
for reassembly.

Not likely you hurt anything by moderate levering, unless you put a king
kong force on the
starter.

Old September 6th 05, 01:19 AM
34coupe

Thank you so much, I knew I was not crazy. God Bless You and yours.
John

Old September 6th 05, 12:11 PM
MasterBlaster

> wrote

> If you actuate the starter while it is not engaging a flywheel, it should
> spin up like crazy.

Unless it's not touching the engine block or frame while testing.
Electric motors work best with a ground path back to the battery.
Did you bolt the battery ground cable back onto the engine?
Did you re-attach the braided ground strap (usually rear of head to firewall)?

Old September 6th 05, 01:29 PM

"MasterBlaster" > wrote in message

> > wrote
>
> > If you actuate the starter while it is not engaging a flywheel, it

should
> > spin up like crazy.

> Unless it's not touching the engine block or frame while testing.
> Electric motors work best with a ground path back to the battery.
> Did you bolt the battery ground cable back onto the engine?
> Did you re-attach the braided ground strap (usually rear of head to

firewall)?

If it the ground path is not there, it is pretty hard to actuate the starter
;>)
But your point is well taken to make sure the ground is intact.