s10 obd2 operation

Old January 26th 09, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
38racing

Default s10 obd2 operation

2002 S10. MIL has gone on/off a few times. Bought a cheap code reader.
With light on it had a p0137 and a pending p0137 (bank1 sensor2 oxygen
sensor lean condition). Manual says MIl will go off after 3 ignition
cycles that the P0137 test passes. MIL has now gone off, but the
reader still shows the same codes. There is something in the manual
about 40 ignition cycles. Is that what's required for the codes to
disappear? My reader won't just clear the codes, apparently it resets
the whole I/M testing status. Thanks
Old January 26th 09, 09:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

38racing wrote:
> 2002 S10. MIL has gone on/off a few times. Bought a cheap code reader.
> With light on it had a p0137 and a pending p0137 (bank1 sensor2 oxygen
> sensor lean condition). Manual says MIl will go off after 3 ignition
> cycles that the P0137 test passes. MIL has now gone off, but the
> reader still shows the same codes. There is something in the manual
> about 40 ignition cycles. Is that what's required for the codes to
> disappear? My reader won't just clear the codes, apparently it resets
> the whole I/M testing status. Thanks

You need to check the sensor using a better scanner.
The original code has cleared the three cycle limit and turned off the
light. The pending event of the same code means it has detected the SAME
fault again and will turn on the light the next time it sees it. You can
clear the codes and look at the voltage from that sensor with a better unit.

Any exhaust leaks on that side or bad gasket? Either one could cause
this code. Could also be a bad sensor. Without seeing it's actual
voltage output you won't be able to tell.

--
Steve W.
Old January 30th 09, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
man of machines

do you have a 4 cylinder if you do there is a good chnace you have a exhaust
pipe leaking and this can screw with o2 readings

"Steve W." wrote:

> 38racing wrote:
> > 2002 S10. MIL has gone on/off a few times. Bought a cheap code reader.
> > With light on it had a p0137 and a pending p0137 (bank1 sensor2 oxygen
> > sensor lean condition). Manual says MIl will go off after 3 ignition
> > cycles that the P0137 test passes. MIL has now gone off, but the
> > reader still shows the same codes. There is something in the manual
> > about 40 ignition cycles. Is that what's required for the codes to
> > disappear? My reader won't just clear the codes, apparently it resets
> > the whole I/M testing status. Thanks

> You need to check the sensor using a better scanner.
> The original code has cleared the three cycle limit and turned off the
> light. The pending event of the same code means it has detected the SAME
> fault again and will turn on the light the next time it sees it. You can
> clear the codes and look at the voltage from that sensor with a better unit.
>
> Any exhaust leaks on that side or bad gasket? Either one could cause
> this code. Could also be a bad sensor. Without seeing it's actual
> voltage output you won't be able to tell.
>
> --
> Steve W.

LS1, OBD2, DRB 3 info FA t4613 Technology 0 February 3rd 08 09:57 PM
OBD2 PC Interface Paul Aspinall BMW 2 March 27th 06 04:21 PM
OBD2 eader Trefor Ford Explorer 12 October 8th 05 04:47 PM
Obd2 scapa Honda 0 January 24th 05 05:48 AM
bmw obd2 compatability Jon BMW 1 November 7th 04 01:05 AM