System Optimizer

Old January 11th 08, 03:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving,alt.fan.dragons,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,aus.cars
Kwyjibo

Default System Optimizer

"Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein)"
> wrote in message
> clifto wrote:
>>Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein) wrote:

>>> That's only the case if you're incompetent.

>>No, he's right. Windows exists to prevent you from seeing error messages,
>>no matter what awful thing is happening to your system that might be
>>prevented if you saw an error message.

> That must explain we're seeing roughly a 15% failure in the Windows
> Management Instrumentation interface in the 2500
> Winblows eXtra CraPpy installs my team supports.

Your team can't be doing a very good job if you can't diagnose a WMI problem
when you have 375 examples to investigate.

> Those failures result in NO errors being returned, when there are
> problems with the system. Interestingly enough, in researching the
> problem to try to fix it, I see a number of solutions posted by
> "microsoft guys" (some MVPs, others actual employees), yet in our
> cases none of those solutions work.

So you and your team are not capable of diagnosing a problem and coming up
with your own solution?

> Freakin' useless, and if the decision would have been mine (I wasn't
> on the team at specification time) I would NOT have pushed that
> flaming pile of garbage into our sites. One of the tasks I've had to
> perform was to write a service to make the terminals reboot
> automatically at a given time each day, as they don't seem to be able
> to operate for more than 72 hours without breaking.

Again - That just shows a lack of investigative and problem solving ability.
I'm surprised you would openly admit your incompetence in an open forum such
as usenet. If I was that ****-poor at my job I would keep it to myself and
probably be looking for emplyment elsewhere.

> Ah well, as long as idiots keep specking Microsoft crap, I'll have a
> job.

Until someone someone notices your inability to solve fairly basic
problems.......

> Can't say that with Linux; those boxes are "fire and forget."

Just the way you like them, huh? No thinking involved.

Old January 11th 08, 03:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving,alt.fan.dragons,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,aus.cars
Noddy[_3_]

"Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein)"
> wrote in message

> Ah well, as long as idiots keep specking Microsoft crap, I'll have a
> job. Can't say that with Linux; those boxes are "fire and forget."

So is a Betamax VCR for most people, and they're about as useful.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Old January 11th 08, 03:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving,alt.fan.dragons,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,aus.cars

Kwyjibo wrote:

>"Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein)"
> wrote in message
.. .

>>>I most certainly can. Do you have a point?

>> From my header:

>And......
>
>> Do you have a clue as to what OS that client runs on?

>Yep.
>
>> Figured it out yet?

>Figured it out a long time ago.
>
>> That's my point.

>I get it now. You are attempting to claim that, as you are using Windows,
>you couldn't possibly be a Linux zealot. A claim which is complete and utter
>bull**** by the way.
>In other words, you don't have a point - or a clue for that matter.

I've got a point; it's not my problem if it's beyond your
comprehension.

--

Sarcasm is my sword
Apathy is my shield
Old January 11th 08, 04:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving,alt.fan.dragons,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,aus.cars
Kwyjibo

"Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein)"
> wrote in message
> LSx-Australia wrote:
>>On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 12:26:08 +1100, Kwyjibo PCM code reading says:

>>> Very true. Linux is a lot worse than Windows when it comes to cryptic
>>> error messages.

>>Sort of linux just works on my PC without much problems at all.
>>I use it 99% of the time and its **** easy for me to use now. Plus I
>>don't have to pay for another OS again. Tried Vista a few times and never
>>really liked it.

> Heh heh. We used a linux box as our content server at a previous
> employer of mine. Once the box was up and running, which didn't take
> long, we never had to touch it again except for when the IT director
> screwed up by trying to email out 75mb attachments.

So you don't even patch your servers? ****. You really should be looking for
a new career.

--
Kwyj.

Old January 11th 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving,alt.fan.dragons,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,aus.cars
LSx-Australia

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:53:59 +1100, Noddy PCM code reading says:

> "Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein)"
> > wrote in message
>
>> Ah well, as long as idiots keep specking Microsoft crap, I'll have a
>> job. Can't say that with Linux; those boxes are "fire and forget."

> So is a Betamax VCR for most people, and they're about as useful.

Depends on uses intended really.
I just have to double click an icon and I have over a thousand down
loadable programes I can use. From god knows to **** knows. :-)

Only thing I find linux useless for is playing games.
Even a full blown windows user that never touched Linux easily use it on
my PC.

But its each to their own really.

--
Regards
Dan

Old January 11th 08, 04:10 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving,alt.fan.dragons,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,aus.cars
LSx-Australia

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 22:52:11 -0500, Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted
Driver (Hector Goldstein) PCM code reading says:

> Heh heh. We used a linux box as our content server at a previous
> employer of mine. Once the box was up and running, which didn't take
> long, we never had to touch it again except for when the IT director
> screwed up by trying to email out 75mb attachments. She didn't
> understand linux, so she ordered us to put up a Windows 2000 server box.
> Internal bandwidth took a major hit, and the staff switched from full
> time development of new software to Windows 2000 server administrators.
> The boss finally got tired of his developers not producing anything, and
> asked the director what was up. By the end of the day, the Linux server
> was back on line, and the Windblows 2000 box was moth balled.

I haven't used Windows 2000 ever I went from MS DOS, Win 3.11,95,98,XP.
Although I was rather brassed off that some of the games I have ran
perfectly on win 98 but not on XP. Although I am still a Linux newbie but
I have set up my system so the mrs (which she is use to windows) can
easily use it. She hasn't stuffed it up yet I have a few times. Good
thing to I can upgrade my Linux (ubuntu) via my ISP mirror and does not
effect my download limit. Another bonus of free software. :-)

--
Regards
Dan

Old January 11th 08, 04:12 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving,alt.fan.dragons,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,aus.cars

Kwyjibo wrote:

>"Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein)"
> wrote in message
.. .
>> clifto wrote:

>>>No, he's right. Windows exists to prevent you from seeing error messages,
>>>no matter what awful thing is happening to your system that might be
>>>prevented if you saw an error message.

>> That must explain we're seeing roughly a 15% failure in the Windows
>> Management Instrumentation interface in the 2500
>> Winblows eXtra CraPpy installs my team supports.
>>

>Your team can't be doing a very good job if you can't diagnose a WMI problem
>when you have 375 examples to investigate.

LMAO. My team's primary purpose is software development, and we've got
higher priorities than dealing Microsoft's 15% failure rate. It's in
the task list, but toward the bottom.

>> Those failures result in NO errors being returned, when there are
>> problems with the system. Interestingly enough, in researching the
>> problem to try to fix it, I see a number of solutions posted by
>> "microsoft guys" (some MVPs, others actual employees), yet in our
>> cases none of those solutions work.

>So you and your team are not capable of diagnosing a problem and coming up
>with your own solution?

We'll get it, when we have our other priorities taken care of. The
main piece, which is to reboot the terminals, works without issue; we
just provide reporting with 15% inaccuracy. The business owner is fine
with that, as he's got much higher things on his wish list, too. His
main concern was the stability of the terminals, which was cured by
the rebooting piece. The reporting piece is hardly "mission critical,"
unlike the basic operation of the point of service terminal itself.

>> Freakin' useless, and if the decision would have been mine (I wasn't
>> on the team at specification time) I would NOT have pushed that
>> flaming pile of garbage into our sites. One of the tasks I've had to
>> perform was to write a service to make the terminals reboot
>> automatically at a given time each day, as they don't seem to be able
>> to operate for more than 72 hours without breaking.

>Again - That just shows a lack of investigative and problem solving ability.

No, it shows you don't have a clue as to what my task list is like.
For that matter, it's evident you don't have a clue, period.

>I'm surprised you would openly admit your incompetence in an open forum such
>as usenet. If I was that ****-poor at my job I would keep it to myself and
>probably be looking for emplyment elsewhere.

Unlike you, I've not made that admission.

By the way, if I'm incompetent, why has my income doubled in the four
years I've been with this employer? Why am I about to receive yet
another promotion which will bring with it another 50% increase in
pay?

>> Ah well, as long as idiots keep specking Microsoft crap, I'll have a
>> job.

>Until someone someone notices your inability to solve fairly basic
>problems.......
>
>> Can't say that with Linux; those boxes are "fire and forget."

>Just the way you like them, huh? No thinking involved.

My primary job purpose is to develop software, not to play the role of
sysadmin. Deploying Linux allows me to focus my attention on my job;
deploying Winblows doesn't.

--

Sarcasm is my sword
Apathy is my shield
Old January 11th 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving,alt.fan.dragons,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,aus.cars

Noddy wrote:

>"Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein)"
> wrote in message
>
>> Ah well, as long as idiots keep specking Microsoft crap, I'll have a
>> job. Can't say that with Linux; those boxes are "fire and forget."

>So is a Betamax VCR for most people, and they're about as useful.

Just because most people are morons doesn't mean I have to be one,
too. Have you ever compared the image quality of a Betamax to VHS?

I didn't mind watching prerecorded content on VHS, but if I were
interested in quality, say, for the purpose of recording family
events, I sure as hell wouldn't be stupid enough to use VHS to do so.

Same with Winblows. I don't mind using it as a client, but no way in
hell I'd deploy it as a server.

By the way, believe it or not, the BetaMAX "market" is still alive,
albeit only among high-end users of video cassettes. A friend of
mine's father repairs BetaMAX recorders shipped to him from all over
the world, and he is making $$$ hand over fist. Last time I saw his
entertainment room, he had 9 studio quality betamax recorders stacked
on each other, with a robotic assembly that fed the systems blank
tapes when the tapes in the recorders become full.

--

Sarcasm is my sword
Apathy is my shield
Old January 11th 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving,alt.fan.dragons,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,aus.cars

Kwyjibo wrote:

>"Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein)"
> wrote in message
.. .
>> LSx-Australia wrote:
>>>On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 12:26:08 +1100, Kwyjibo PCM code reading says:

>>>Sort of linux just works on my PC without much problems at all.
>>>I use it 99% of the time and its **** easy for me to use now. Plus I
>>>don't have to pay for another OS again. Tried Vista a few times and never
>>>really liked it.

>> Heh heh. We used a linux box as our content server at a previous
>> employer of mine. Once the box was up and running, which didn't take
>> long, we never had to touch it again except for when the IT director
>> screwed up by trying to email out 75mb attachments.

>So you don't even patch your servers? ****. You really should be looking for
>a new career.

Why would we want to waste the time to patch that server? There was no
personnel or personal information stored on it, so who gave a **** if
it was compromised?

And I'm not really interested in picking up a new career; I like this
one too much, and my employers and associates LOVE the work I do; in
fact, I'm due up for another promotion in the next few months, which
should bring with it another 50% pay increase. :-)

--

Sarcasm is my sword
Apathy is my shield
Old January 11th 08, 04:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving,alt.fan.dragons,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,aus.cars

LSx-Australia wrote:
>On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:53:59 +1100, Noddy PCM code reading says:
>
>> "Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein)"
>> > wrote in message
>>
>>> Ah well, as long as idiots keep specking Microsoft crap, I'll have a
>>> job. Can't say that with Linux; those boxes are "fire and forget."

>> So is a Betamax VCR for most people, and they're about as useful.

>Depends on uses intended really.
>I just have to double click an icon and I have over a thousand down
>loadable programes I can use. From god knows to **** knows. :-)
>
>Only thing I find linux useless for is playing games.
>Even a full blown windows user that never touched Linux easily use it on
>my PC.
>
>But its each to their own really.

Sheesh, our network admin ditched Winblows for Linux on his desktop
box, and he's got Linux clients for every service we use. Except for
the appearance of the desktop and the common elements surrounding the
client window, there's no visible difference between the Doze clients
and the linux clients.

I'm tempted to join him, but I'm sure my boss would have a problem
since the systems we code for are XP based. :-)

--

Sarcasm is my sword
Apathy is my shield

System Optimizer 456 Driving 66 February 21st 08 02:50 AM
Nav System mod Michael D. Henderson Chrysler 9 July 8th 06 02:11 AM
Is there a new DVD for 300 Nav system yet? General Schvantzkoph Chrysler 5 May 1st 06 09:16 PM
CCV System sc00ter Jeep 6 February 7th 06 05:09 AM
R-12 A/C System Paul Antique cars 1 August 3rd 03 09:59 PM