best anti-RF ignition wiring TYPE

Old October 30th 06, 03:01 PM posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Scott Dorsey

Default best anti-RF ignition wiring TYPE

In article . com>,
> wrote:
>

>There are only 2 types of RF supression wi resistive and inductive.
> The latter is often referred to as "magnetic" and is widely available,
>but it doesn't seem to work any better than the resistive type. A
>significant amount of igniton noise comes from the connection between
>the plug and the plug wire, and grounded metal shields over the boots
>can help here. There are wire kits with these boots, mostly for German
>cars, or they can be made with metal tubing slipped snugly over the
>metal bases of the plugs.

I recommend getting a copy of the ARRL Hints and Kinks for Radio Amateurs
book... get one of the mid-fifties editions and there is a whole section
on eliminating ignition noise with homebrew shielding over the plug wires
and shield cans over the distributor.

I agree that with modern resistive wires, things will be a lot better. Back
in the fifties, plug wires were normally copper. Often folks would buy it
on long rolls and terminate it in the shop themselves. Today, plug wires
have a conductive element that is conductive plastic, usually a nylon with
carbon in it, and the wire itself has a few kilohms of resistance. That,
combined with a modern coil design, means you get less high frequency ringing
after the initial spark impulse which cuts way down on the noise.
--scott

Old October 30th 06, 03:05 PM posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Scott Dorsey

N8N > wrote:

>Just to clarify, he's talking about an Avanti here; having an
>all-fiberglass body, suppressing ANY source of noise is of utmost
>importance.

I did not realize it was an Avanti. In that case, I think I would be
worried less about noise issues than making sure the radio antenna had
a proper centerpoise, because it can't use the metal body. The more
_signal_ you get, the more noise you can live with.
--scott
Old October 30th 06, 04:58 PM posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,alt.autos.corvette
[email protected]

63Avanti wrote:
> now this is interesting,
> I remember fabricating for my neighbor's '62 Ford a metal can with
> braided shielded wires to cover his distributor and cables out to the
> plugs. I no longer knew when he drove out of his driveway by watching
> the patterns on my TV (UHF).
>
> Now for the question.
> Any one know if these boots, if self-fabricated, are essentially a
> CYLINDER, grounded by contact with the engine block?

On piston-engined aircraft the plugs, wires, and magneto
distributor caps are all metal and are grounded. The shielded cable is
grounded at the mag end and the plug end. There's no ignition noise
from such a setup.

Go he http://www.sacskyranch.com/eng67.htm

Dan

Old October 31st 06, 07:10 AM posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,alt.autos.corvette
[email protected]

63Avanti wrote:

> On Oct 29, 6:06 pm, wrote:

> > A significant amount of igniton noise comes from the connection between
> > the plug and the plug wire, and grounded metal shields over the boots
> > can help here. There are wire kits with these boots, mostly for German
> > cars, or they can be made with metal tubing slipped snugly over the
> > metal bases of the plugs.

> now this is interesting,
> I remember fabricating for my neighbor's '62 Ford a metal can with
> braided shielded wires to cover his distributor and cables out to the
> plugs. I no longer knew when he drove out of his driveway by watching
> the patterns on my TV (UHF).

> Any one know if these boots, if self-fabricated, are essentially a
> CYLINDER, grounded by contact with the engine block?

Yes. I made some from conduit that extended about 2" above the plugs.
I found it didn't mater whether or not the tops were covered with
metal, but I applied a bead of silicone RTV to prevent the sharp edges
from cutting through the wire insulation. I slit the bottom of each
tube lengthwise to make it easier to press it easier to press around
the hex part of the plug.

Old November 1st 06, 03:46 AM posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Bob M.

ups.com...

Check www.magnecor.com for EMI-reducing spark plug wires.

Old November 1st 06, 04:07 AM posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Brooksie

That's the same outfit that told me they could supply 7mm wires but only if
I wasn't putting the stainless shielding back in place.

Brooksie

Old November 1st 06, 01:44 PM posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
GregS

In article >, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>In article . com>,
> > wrote:
>>

>>There are only 2 types of RF supression wi resistive and inductive.
>> The latter is often referred to as "magnetic" and is widely available,
>>but it doesn't seem to work any better than the resistive type. A
>>significant amount of igniton noise comes from the connection between
>>the plug and the plug wire, and grounded metal shields over the boots
>>can help here. There are wire kits with these boots, mostly for German
>>cars, or they can be made with metal tubing slipped snugly over the
>>metal bases of the plugs.

>I recommend getting a copy of the ARRL Hints and Kinks for Radio Amateurs
>book... get one of the mid-fifties editions and there is a whole section
>on eliminating ignition noise with homebrew shielding over the plug wires
>and shield cans over the distributor.
>
>I agree that with modern resistive wires, things will be a lot better. Back
>in the fifties, plug wires were normally copper. Often folks would buy it
>on long rolls and terminate it in the shop themselves. Today, plug wires
>have a conductive element that is conductive plastic, usually a nylon with
>carbon in it, and the wire itself has a few kilohms of resistance. That,
>combined with a modern coil design, means you get less high frequency ringing
>after the initial spark impulse which cuts way down on the noise.

They also sold spark plugs with built in resistors.

greg